BoD Improvements

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Mutombo, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

You realize it takes a significant amount of time and resources (if not gathered on your own, which is still more time) in order to fill BoDs, right? I'm not big on accounting so I'm not going into the ROI here, but I know it's not there for large iron bods, which is why they are considered shit.
    Yes I feel they should have more value and I know I could make more money just farming gold in a dungeon, with very little risk. I also risk my bods being stolen in town, considering I only have a finite number of places to exchange it.

Wulver, I agree that in-town crafting would be great. Require a guard of factionmates, just to use your runic hammers? :p
  2. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I'm always down for more deco stuff and stealable items!

My biggest problem with the bod system is the actual system. Would it be possible to have a system that didn't need the bod books and the bods? Maybe just a char based context menu that organizes your bods in a menu that you could select an option to generate a deed for trade or sale? I dunno, it just seems cluttered and blah to me the way it is
  3. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

If that's what passes for "risk" here, we may as well get some moonstones in the next patch.
  4. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Why don't you stuff it. Perhaps I'll give you all my large iron plate bods and you can fill them out.
    Crafting systems aren't about the risk of loss aside from material loss and theft. WTF do you want, mobs to spawn on order turn in? Seriously, stfu or come up with something constructive regarding the entirely useless bottom end of large bods. No one's asking for platinum or massive gold piles for shitbods, just something tangible that doesn't feel like we just got ripped off for completing one.

Perhaps an ability to pick the relative number of small bods when you turn it in? Hell, if I could do that I'd do the larges because then I wouldn't feel like I'm wasting 3-6 chances to get a good bod by just flipping the smalls.
  5. Paradigm

Paradigm Active Member

BoD's are the 'staying' power of UOR. It is going to keep people here and playing for long after they no longer need to farm for that fortress. As a recent member of the smithing bod club, I will say that I am shocked at how different it is from tailoring. I expected to make even more money with smithy bods and I was just wrong..

One thing you need to add to your estimation for doing a LBoD Iron is the fact that it took up 4-6 actual bod collections or purchases! If we assume that a bod collection is worth 4k, you could be talking about a situation where you turn in 6 bods at once, get 1 back and you can't even go buy 5 more bods to even out! Forget the cost of the ingots used!

Now this point isn't to cry about the bod cash reward. I am just simply stating that from my experience, losing 6 bod collections/purchases is AS significant as the resources used.

Mutumbo is right. I want my houses to look cooler. Bring on the deeds. There are FAR to many bods yeilding the same exact rewards.
  6. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  7. Dalavar

I will gladly take any undesired BODs you have. I'm still somewhat new to it and I enjoy the process of discovery and completion.

As for constructive suggestions... I thought I explicitly mentioned this, but if I haven't, my only .02 is that if you improve the currently crappy BODs, you should decrease the higher end rewards (either in value or rarity). That way the system stays as useful/profitable/valuable as a whole as it's always been.
  8. Gideon Jura

9. Dalavar

Your system certainly makes sense, but:

...clearly the answer to this is: a lot of people!

To me, it's like a slot machine. I say "order status", I pull the lever, and every few days I win a prize. Today it was a 20 Bronze platemail piece. Felt really good.

The biggest problem I see with your proposed solution is that it immediately makes an enormous change in the value of some BODs. So someone who's been collecting them for 6-9 months, filling and turning in the good ones and just putting the bad ones in a box somewhere, will get an enormous boost in wealth from a change like this. Like, millions. And of course the other problem just being inaccuracy/confusion.
  10. Falcon

Falcon Member

Re: BoD Improvements

by Gideon Jura » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:34 am

My analysis of Smithing BODs:

Nice job, again.

Maybe something like this would work for all sides.

No more PoF 15 or 20 charges. BoDs that use to yield 5 and 10 charges of PoF, now yield only 5 charges. Bods that use to yield 15 and 20 charges only yield 10 charges, 90% of the time and 10% chance to yield a (you fill in the blank).

Should increase the value of PoF.
    Help drive ingot sales, short term.
    Increase the number of smithy BoDs turn in.
    Stop Blaise from (again, you fill in the blank).

A small change like this would be about the same as the change to fishing had. Short term spike, back to how it is now. Either you like to do BoDs or you don't.
  11. Gideon Jura

12. Gideon Jura

13. Dalavar

1) the gold rewards are virtually meaningless, in my eyes, as it is.
    2) yes, inaccuracy (with the actual historical UOR system), and thus confusion between this shard and the era
    3) not just saying completed sets, but obviously pieces of a set will change drastically in value
    4) for sure. But obviously the changes in the high-ticket items have a proportionally larger impact on value. So in the minority of instances, things become vastly more valuable.

Neither of us can do the math on all scenarios here, but an example, if you'll be so kind as to assume I can indeed wrap my head around the addition and multiplication in your rubric:

Currently if I have a Normal Copper 15-count plate BOD, I get Power of Fortifying. Not worth the time/effort, so I just keep the deed in case someone somewhere wants to buy it.

Under your system, this nets me:
    0 + 18 + 2 + 62 + 30 + 8 = 112 a gold runic, which is basically a high-end vanq-creator.

Change it from a normal to an exceptional BOD, and I go from a piece of hanging armor (which, admittedly, is nice, and may not be sitting around) to a piece of Phoenix Armor!

A Bronze platemail 20-count BOD currently nets a Bronze runic, which is moderately useful but really not high-end at all.

Under your system, it nets:
    0 + 24 + 4 + 62 + 30 + 0 = 120, which is phoenix armor!

Don't get me wrong - I like your idea in principle, but I think it is massively beneficial to anyone with BODs sitting around, and I tend to advocate against alterations from era mechanics for the benefit of new players to the shard. I think a change like this would be massively beneficial to older UOR players and unfair and somewhat burdensome to new players.
  14. Gideon Jura

15. Dalavar

Why should they?

You knew, when you participated in this system, that you would get some BODs that weren't worth the reward, and sure enough you got some BODs that weren't worth the reward. I fail to see why Telamon should wave a magic wand and retroactively give them different rewards to make them more valuable. This is what I was trying to express to Blaise as well.
  16. Gideon Jura

17. Dalavar

It doesn't matter if it's "some" or "all" or "none" or 22% or 3.14159%. The point is, it's precisely the amount you knew you were getting.
  18. Gideon Jura

19. Gideon Jura

20. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member

Gideon -
    I like that system, I think it would definitely be an improvement over the current setup. The numbers could probably be debated, but seem pretty good at first glance. It would change the market on some things for sure. For example, Braziers would probably tank in value. People that already have these items could be upset.

Dalavar -
    Agreed that players with a large stockpile would have an advantage, however:

• Players that have been busting their butts for over a year probably should have an advantage, no?
    • Long time players already have a huge advantage in today's system. The longer you've been playing, the more chances you've had at the 'slot machine'. And if you want to get missing BOD pieces from other players, most people are only interested in high-end BOD trades to complete their own. So the longer you've been collecting, the more you've got. And the more you've got, the more ammunition you have for trade. I don't see Gideon's system making that part of BODs any better or worse. His proposed changes just kind of spread the rewards out a little bit so the majority of BODs aren't resulting in Fortification Powder.

The numbers may need tweaking, and that's certainly something that should be evaluated in-depth.

On a side note, (and maybe this is just me) I think the current system's rewards are too unobtainable. I like having longterm goals, but there's way too much of a gap between the entry level stuff and the actually good stuff. I've had my crafter since mid-May. I have just the one crafter and I don't bend my personal life or sleep schedule around the BOD timers, so I've been collecting 3 smithing BODs a day for the last four-five months. I have 'melted' down some of my small iron BODs for more 'spins' at the BOD slot machine. In that time, I have earned:

- Fair amount of Fortification Powder
    - Lots of Gargoyle Pickaxes
    - Mining Gloves of Various Quality
    - A Decorative Sword (a lucky valorite helmet pull)

Even if I could find enough people to make all the trades I needed, I would still be short of getting anything 'good', as my stockpile is just not there.

Basically, how rare should this stuff be? Is this what we envision for 5 months worth of BOD-pulling and BOD-'recycling'? I would say no. There needs to be more mid-level rewards.