Body loot decay

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Heretic, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Well,

Long story short: I was AFK and I was killed inside my own house.
    Ok, right, I know the "don't stand by the walls" thing, "stay on the center", yada yada.

Nothing will convince me that this is not less then absurd. How the hell can you get killed by spells inside your own house without your own house being destroyed? It doesn't even make sense. My small tower doesn't even have windows, it's a claustrophobic hell inside there.

But ok, I'm not asking here to stop this madness. I accept being killed inside my own house by spells that don't even crack the walls, whatever floats your notes.

Problem is: body loot decay. My body decayed with all the items on it. I also think that it doesn't make sense. No, I'm not angry that I lost 2000 reagents, full runebook, vanq weapon, a lot of stuff that was on my bag. Shouldn't the items stay on the floor after the body decays if not looted?

When a house decays what happens? All the stuff stays on the ground until they decay naturally. That should be a thing with body loots, it's logical, right? And as I was inside a house, the items wouldn't decay as they already don't if it's on house region. It's the least that could happen after you are absurdly killed inside your own house and it makes sense.

What do you think?
  2. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Body loot decay is a UO mechanic that should never go away. The rush of trying to get back to your corpse when you die is requisite to the authentic feeling of this shard.

You learned your lesson the hard way, as many many many players have before you and will after you. Use Restock Agents if you're in training, put all your valuables not required for training in a bag on the ground and stay away from walls.

House killing has been dialed down a great deal on this shard, from MS/CL doing 1dmg in houses and purple potions no longer blasting further than one tile into a home. There are no more concessions needed other than information so those who don't know, learn.
    Rayth, eherruh, Deacon and 4 others like this.
  3. Plankton

Plankton Active Member

Did you use detect hidden when you last entered your home?
  4. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

I always do, it was definitely from outside. I have tons of stuff unlocked and nothing was missing.
  5. Kermit

Kermit Well-Known Member

If u are next to the wall, explo pots can kill you.
    Casted spells cannot kill you if u are inside a house and ur opponent outside.
  6. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

If there are enough casters, you can still kill with Meteor Swarm if you're in range of the wall.
    eherruh likes this.
  7. Andersonius

Andersonius Well-Known Member

Hey Heretic sorry to hear that happened to you. It is quite easy to avoid in the future. Even in a small house or small tower just stand in the center of the home when you are macroing and you will not be able to be killed. If you have a larger plot to macro in you don't even need to be in the center just a good number of steps from the walls will do.

I understand where you are coming from with the body loot decay but that is something that certainly should stay regardless of any type of region a character may be in at that time. That is one of the great things about this game we play...we learn and we learn the hard way many times!

I know it is frustrating but at least the LOS issues are taken care of a little bit by the 1 damage to MS and CL. If we didn't have that implemented you would be able to be killed even on the center tiles of a large tower! Only a keep or bigger would provide safety! Haha when I started here in 13 there was at least one group of people (im not going to name lames) that would run around the world just MSing CLing and purple explo potting houses where they tracked characters just to see if they can kill them. To spend so much time to do that is funny but each their own. Anyway....at least taking simple precautions can effectively combat that as things stand now.

Good luck!
  8. Mimic

Mimic Member

I honestly think it's lame that cs and ms were nerfed. I get that it sucks but I remember being able to hide in a small tower and not get killed. It made you careful and it gave pks something to do. That's when I started putting a restock agent into my macros. This way when my char was killed I would only lose 1 reg or whatever.

Like many have said before, its the risk of this game that makes it great
    Ragar and Vishakt like this.
  9. WhatThaDeuce

WhatThaDeuce New Member

I agree that MS and CL should not be nerfed in homes.

Maybe consider not macroing unattended. I realize that it's allowed on the server, and I don't think that should be changed. But I think it's reasonable and fair to come with that sort of elevated risk.

EDIT: Got to this thread through a google search, just realized it's over a year old...
  10. Halabinder

Halabinder Well-Known Member

WIN
    The Crooked Warden likes this.
  11. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Thread Resurrection Staff Post

1. Since the DDOS drama of 2015 our player corpse mechanics have been slightly different than OSI mechanics. A players corpse will last for 1 hour until it turns to bones. Unless a player interacts with the corpse directly which will reduce the time to the correct 7 minutes.

2. Chain Lightning and Meteor Storm are limited in house regions due to some exploits that were discovered related to the Renaissance era houses (Small marble, Stone Tower, etc) Initially they were limited but players still found ways to kill someone in the center of their house. The ability to kill players with these spells (in a house) was disabled while we work out a solution to the problem. No player should be able to be killed in the center of their house by someone outside the house.

3. You can currently be killed when standing against an external wall in most houses, which is ERA accurate and known by most players. I won't explain the method but to be safe you always want to idle near the center of your house.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    Lord Krake, eherruh and One like this.