Bowcrafting mechanics

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Awen, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Awen

Awen Active Member

Hello

I look for valuable informations about power of bows and crossbows in bowcrafting.

And

Do i must invest time in crafting bows or opening various chests to found bests weapons or both ?

thanks
  2. Ecstatic

Ecstatic Active Member

There is no runic bowfletching yet. The few runic bows you see are from the valentines event.

Right now, crafting bows has nearly zero function. Standard power and vanq bows drop like any other weapon from higher end monsters.
    Awen and Halabinder like this.
  3. Awen

Awen Active Member

4. Rheanon

Rheanon Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

However....Bowcrafting WILL be a part of the Carpentry BOD system when it gets implemented, so you may want to have one around for that.
  5. Awen

Awen Active Member

I am now well advised, that doesn't mean i will not try testing boycrafting on one or two characters of mine ;)
    Rheanon likes this.
  6. Awen

Awen Active Member

I will use this post for another question .

Actually i try archery and i feel well with.

It is fun for me.

I seen when mobs melee me , i do just 1 damage (ok i do not discuss about that) , but what is the solution to perform better in melee situation without changing weapons ?

- Should i try to circle run all the time and do not let mobs touch me ?
    -or use "the square" technic , run stop fire turn right and repeat ?
    - or learning wrestling ?

or another solutions ?
  7. Ecstatic

Ecstatic Active Member

What do you want to achieve? Pure PvM? Are you asking for the most effective way to PvM?
  8. Awen

Awen Active Member

No i do not want the best way to pvm, i just ask how , if possible, make few more damage when i am in melee situation with my bow ?
  9. Ecstatic

Ecstatic Active Member

You dont. It's a bow. Why would a bow make more melee damage? :D

An archer tries to evade melee, thus my advice would be to add a barding skill like provocation or taming.
  10. Ecstatic

Ecstatic Active Member

To be honest, I dont know the mechanics behind bows used in melee on UO:R. Maybe someone else can answer. If it's one damage point only, it sounds like it's switching to wrestling. I know that on OSI around the Renaissance era melee'd box/xbows did ALOT damage. But that has been changed here.
  11. Awen

Awen Active Member

that's my ask : maybe wrestling , in some (rare/evitable) melee situation can "standardize / unify ?" the damage ratio during a combat.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  12. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

Has this been confirmed?
    @Chris
  13. Rheanon

Rheanon Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

14. Pekka

Pekka Well-Known Member

An archer like to avoid any melee contact, well except on purpose, I go in with my archer on melee distance, to get hurt, so I can train healing but mostly I fight magic creatures and it seems like the arrows will interupt their spellcasting time to time but mostly to gain Spell Resist. Why choose an archer when melee and magic are so much more powerful? Well I like archery and my archers are fishermen and it is great to have 2 chars standing in the middle of the boat pumping arrows while a 3rd char will use magic and it is the 3rd one that I am controlling, while the archers takes care of themself, specially if healing is done with a script in Razor, but the mage will heal them if they get hitted a lot, so archers are perfect Sea Serpent and Kraken fighters and you are allowed to have 3 accounts and play 3 chars at the same time..

If you do not like to get damaged, an archer will avoid it fighting any kind of melee fighter, except if you get cornered. :) As soon as you get to skill 80 in Archery, you will not miss many arrows against normal mobs. You do not need to stop, like a mage, when he needs to cast a spell as you only need to ride around in circles, avoiding contact.

I do have some fletching on one char but I basically uses it for fletching arrows, not bows but he is able to make exceptional bows. I do not really like the crossbows, as they are so slow, but a magic heavy crossbow is doing a lot of damage when it hits. I tested this on Harpies: I need 15 arrows to get one down with a bow and only 4 bolts with a heavy crossbow. It seems that crossbows are better to use against some types of mobs and the bow against others as I prefer the bow against Evil Mages as one example and it seems that skill rases faster with a bow as well. I also see the bow superiour from an RP point of view: Anyone can use a crossbow in RL but the longbow can only be used by an skilled archer. Well i do not think that I will take fletching to GM, well except for BODs then.

I took another look at your questions and yes, you must make bows and take time to find bows in chests if you dont get lucky if a monster drops one. Monsters drops 1 bow or Crossbow 1 times of 10-20 compared to meelee weapons, which seems to be the case in chests as well. You could just buy ordinary bows as well, but how good are they? Will an exceptional bow do more damage than an ordinary bow? I do not think so as it will only last longer and there is no ways of repairing wooden stuff like bows, staffes or wooden shields as they will get broken at one point and you need to find or cretae new ones constantly but isnt the the charm of the game, searching and finding new and hopefully better items or what else is the point with PvM in UO, well except to find gold?

I recommend Fishing and T-hunting for good bows really and both are extremely fun.

//Pekka
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    Awen likes this.
  15. Awen

Awen Active Member

Thanks Pekka
    great and useful information to me ;)

I wil surely make tests and post them when i will GM archer
  16. Pekka

Pekka Well-Known Member

That sounds perfect. :)

I used the slightly magic Heavy Crosbow against an Evil Mage lord yesterday, and that char has around 80 in tactics (it is tactics that decide the amount of damage). 3 bolts and he was down, well almost 2 so with GM tactics, 2 bolts will maybe be enough. So when I was so lucky, I tried a named deamon but as soon as he had only 16 hits left, he started to heal, over and over again up to 32. With that crossbow, I manage to do 8-12 dmg againt that Deamon, but it was not enough. It seems like UO want us to use the heavy crossbow... :/

//Pekka
  17. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member