Bring back skill loss on bonded pets

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by El Horno, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Nymeros

Nymeros Well-Known Member

My point was to make a difference between bards and tamers, not bards and dexxers.

Of course a slayer weapon is more expensive.
  2. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Of course, but the ROI on a slayer instrument is significantly higher considering the potential, not too mention ease of escape.
  3. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

Ease of escape? I believe you're one of the people on this shard who understands how it's damn near impossible to get PKed if you're actually paying attention to your UO screen.

I agree about the ROI bit but that's totally player economics and this shard has too much gold which drives up prices. That's not too relevant to a tamer/bonded pet/stat loss mechanic. Slayer weapons probably have a better gold-per-hour than slayer instruments as well.
  4. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Warriors who are actually engaging targets are in less of a position to escape with ease. Unless the target is provoked or peaced, it's hitting you and potentially disrupting. If it's a casting mob, there's no reflect up, etc etc. My bard sits on the sidelines with reflect up, hidden, with a hand on the Recall macro key.

Honestly, if slayers were more common (*cough cough* in all treasure map chests where they fucking belong *cough cough*), and it was a 10-50k loss, I wouldn't even give a shit about how embarrassingly imbalanced the loss for tamers is compared to a real warrior.
  5. Plankton

Plankton Active Member

Tamers don't need a nerf. Their safety nets just need to be removed.
    boothby likes this.
  6. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

FEH

It took 6 damn pages for this covo to get properly summarized?
  7. Plankton

Plankton Active Member

There's plenty of tamer love! I did not know this but wow! Don't even need to bond to a new pet upon transfer! How is that logical?

http://uorforum.com/threads/wts-dra...-fresh-tames-prices-slashed-10k-off-all.8217/

From the thread:

Beastin)------824/825/100/472 Grey - 1.2M **FULLY TRAINED 7xGM** **Bonded already - will Bond to you with no pec meat required**
    Savage)------825/825/100/448 Grey - 1.3M **FULLY TRAINED 7xGM** **Bonded already - will Bond to you with no pec meat required**
    Thrash)-------802/825/105/464 Grey - 899k **FULLY TRAINED 7xGM** **Bonded already - will Bond to you with no pec meat required**
    Slash)--------804/825/105/442 Grey - 899k **FULLY TRAINED 7xGM** **Bonded already - will Bond to you with no pec meat required**
    Tank)----------825/825/100/466 Grey - 1.5M **FULLY TRAINED 7xGM** **Bonded already - will Bond to you with no pec meat required**
  8. Erlkonig

Erlkonig Well-Known Member

As far as pet stat loss, I say make it 20% with a 1 week cool down. Upon resurrection a gump pops up stating that x time has elapsed, stat loss, etc, etc. Even if it was changed to a flat 20% regardless I would not care. Perhaps it would shut some of you crybabies up. It takes a few hours to train up melee skills on fresh dragons and the only stat that matters for DPS is dex.
    bart simpson likes this.
  9. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

I doubt Telamon will ever nerf taming, he's too busy constantly nerfing mining
    #restoregolemshovels
    Liberation likes this.
  10. Plankton

Plankton Active Member

So you are saying, "Get rid of it as the loss of it doesn't even matter as long as I have X."
  11. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

lol wut?
  12. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

Wrong hash tag, it's #restoreamfekk.
  13. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

Golem shovels were able to produce 1200+ ingots, now they produce 200-300. I just figured as long as people are whining about stuff I'd whine too :p
  14. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Since their inception the yield from the shoves as been increased by about 20% based on player experience.

There was however a bug when people were abusing the shovels with zero mining skill and the charges were not being used correctly. Players failed to successfully mine, but still spawned a golem without depleting a use on the shovel. This could be the source of your 1200+ ingots/shovel but this was due to a broken RunUO mechanic in which failing to use a tool did not delete the uses of said tool. (This applied across the full harvesting system)

This was resolved in Patch 61

BlackEye and Alice Asteroid like this.
  15. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Basoosh and BlackEye like this.
  16. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

It's a fact that no one ever fact checks on the Internet, let alone on a web forum

That doesn't change the topic though. Why are is stat loss removed for tamers due to DDOS?
    BlackEye likes this.
  17. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

The DDOS protection systems were designed for everyone, not just tamers. Players however will time out after 5 minutes when left in the world during a mass disconnection. Players pets will not. So a tamer, who was online during a DDOS had to stick around constantly checking to see if the server was back online to attempt to recover their pets. While a player without pets might have died yes, but they can call it a night and see where they are when they log in the next day.

Eventually the death teleport system was added and both players and tames were protected but only in the case of impending death. During the initial DDOS bombardment the outages could have been anywhere from 30 minutes to 4 hours. As the attacks were slowly addressed we updated the code repeatedly to provide protection to all players, and many players lives were saved via the ddos/death detection system. While no coded system is perfect, we did what we could in the most impartial way possible to alleviate the annoyance of daily outages.

When it comes to bonding we understand the concerns of our players, and when the server was founded bonding was disabled to give us time to correct what I perceived as flaws in the system. Pet skill loss, 1 bonding slot to start, Pet summoning on death only, no pet recall, the zookeeper quest are examples of our efforts to balance this system. By default none of this exists and pet bonding was intended by OSI as an unlimited system only restricted by the available space in the stable.

No argument for a change should be based on complaints about another playstyle such as
    • Tamers can defend themselves against a player killer.
    • Tamers are to effective at doing _________.
    • Tamers make to much money.
    • Tamers have an advantage during events.

As you could easily make the same accusations about a variety of playstyles to make a similar case this is clearly not a good way to discuss how to balance the world here.

With animal taming as a skill you have to start from what OSI intended in 1999 and then work forward to a perfected system that is applicable for 2015. Pet skill loss will return sooner than later, in its previous form (2%). Beyond that players are welcomed to make constructive threads in the era discussion forum about changes they would like to see regarding taming.
  18. Plankton

Plankton Active Member

True about those arguments having no basis. However, risk should be shared equally whatever the situation or mechanic. Integral tools for a tamer, i.e. their pet, are not susceptible to the same risks as integral tools for other skillsets.

Also, don't you mean 2.5%?

Could you address how bonding fits with the statement on the homepage?

"UO:Renaissance is an Ultima Online free-shard, based on Renaissance era mechanics, without the influences of Trammel."

P.S. Thank you for weighing in on this thread whatever the outcome! I still love this server.
    Mindless, Heretic and BlackEye like this.
  19. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

Thanks for the official answer, however, I agree with Plankton. I find it desirable that there is no uber-skill which is necessary for most of the long term events and the big happenings like Champs/Harrower. There must be viable alternatives. And that there is some kind of at least minimal distribution of risk, which is VERY clearly not the case, no matter what the reason behind the decision is.

PS: I haven't experienced a DDOS for a very long time now. Especially one that took longer than 5 minutes.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    Mindless and Heretic like this.
  20. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

When tamers were already overpowered with a single bonding slot and 8 control slots, how did adding more bonding slots balance them better with classes that actually still suffer major risk in the field? The Zookeeper quest is an example of concessions and bonuses astronomically far beyond the damage/chance to hit buff that dexxers got. Instead of getting a quest to gain the ability to not lose their top tier hard to come by weapon, instead we have Level 7 treasure maps that will provide a venue for tamers to go make more millions finding top tier slayers in there to sell. None of these things even remotely make me think of balance. They make me think that you're utterly blind to the fact that bonded pets ARE BLESSED WEAPONS. If slayers were made more common, and only held values around 50k or so, it wouldn't be a concern. No one's paying 500k+ for a dragon they can't bond, anymore.

There is a major imbalance in the risk factors and you've only made it even more imbalanced by increasing bonding slots.