Bring back skill loss on bonded pets

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by El Horno, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Merlin

Merlin Active Member

Why is there this expectation that Telamon should answer for statements he's made or design choices he has made for the server?

Just looking over this entire thread of whining and crying about tamers, it is fascinating that so many people seem to think they should be able to tell Telamon how to run his server.

You chose to play here, and probably some in this thread have never contributed a penny to the upkeep. If you think you can do better, go do it. I may not be the biggest tamer fan either, but unless tamers are able to steal camps and impede your game play, why all the whining?
    Basoosh and Andersonius like this.
  2. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

When players come here based on the tenets of the shard as described on the website and in other supporting documentation and see the exact opposite, it is cause for concern. This forum exists specifically for discussion about the shard, community, happenings therein and other. If you think discourse about changes to the shard are out of line, click the big red X up in the top right corner.

For what it's worth, I've been donating $10 a month for I don't know how long now. But thanks for caring, Captain No Donating.
  3. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

Blaise, don't promote that slayers should be more common! It destroys all the economy, makes vanqs complete trash and you still loose them. And, you dont need the extra dmg as dexxer, because you can't kill anything more than before. Just farm slightly faster.

Merlins stupid rant has been answered already.
  4. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member

Bahhhh (That's the noise sheep make in case you were wondering)
  5. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Vanqs are already complete trash. I can make them at home with my golden runic hammers and above. I'm not asking for extra damage as the damage output of a good or even medium level slayer is just fine. I just want to be able to res it and retrain it like tamers, OR I want tamers to lose dragons like they did when I got here. You know, like we play in Felucca.

FYI: Vanq is the new Force and Valorite runic is the new vanq.
    Brymstone likes this.
  6. BlackEye

That trash sells pretty okay still, especially to non-vets without golden runic hammers.

But the rest of what you say is true: Go all out open Trammel on this shard, or don't pretend to be Felucca, when there is no risk to loose anything for the main mega farmer template here. And 2.5% isn't a solution at all.

Though I fear, we start repeating anything again. Chris answered and clearly stated his intentions. I still hope he listens to all the voices of concern.
  7. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Could be, I'll have to check.

My core point is if you are trying to make a case for a change, this is not the place to go about it, 7 pages deep in a thread about skill loss being turned back on for pets.

To address Blaise's point we made the decision long ago in the servers Beta to opt for 8 control slots over 5 control slots. At the time the staff discussed it at length and agreed with the change. While I will not go into that discussion here, as it probably merits its own thread, I will clarify how we are very careful to change things the longer they exist as a world rule.

I am sure everyone can point to a point in time on OSI or a Free Shard where some core mechanic in the world was changed without notice and for the perceived greater good. And I am sure everyone can remember how frustrating that was. I have done it here myself with some aspects to protect the economy. However the longer that something exists as a rule in the world, the more careful we have to be when changing it.

Players expect the staff here to carefully consider the effect of all changes to the world and we take that responsibility very seriously. A 7 page thread dedicated to a short period of removal of the skill loss applied to bonded pets should attest to that.

If players are serious about a concern in the world, regarding taming, the value of weapons, drop rates, etc. I encourage you to make a clear concise thread detailing that concern in the ERA discussion forum. If you want my opinion on the matter or some information about how that system came to function as it does simply contact me with a link to the thread and I will provide what information I can.

But claiming that the server is "Trammel" because of taming/bonding system which we have changed drastically to bring it into the felucca mindset is not the answer. Keep in mind this is a hybrid server set right around Publish 1. OSI went from allowing a player to have 50 dragons to limiting control slots and stable space. The mechanics on Renaissance are a compromise between T2A and Renaissance era mechanics to achieve an involved, risk based, and rewarding system that we refer to as History Perfected.

The bulk of the world you see today is the result of players constructive involvement in this process.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  8. Plankton

Plankton Active Member

To the next thread!

I make no demands of the admins. I will try to point out inaccuracies, contradictions, and inequalities. That said, I appreciate that this server exists and the day I found out that I still loved playing a game from over 10 years ago was amazing.
    Mindless and BlackEye like this.
  9. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member

Thanks Chris.

Discussion / mature debate is healthy. (Some hippies even believe the universe created consciousness so it could learn from itself... freaking hippies)

The world would be a very boring place if we all had the same opinion.

Long live UOR.
  10. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Focused discussions are always the way to go when working to improve the server. More players can get involved and follow the discussion when it is on topic.

We are always happy to discuss ways to improve the server. As long as players are willing to deal with me playing devil's advocate to poke holes in ideas, opinions or suggestions to make sure that something simple on face value doesn't hide a more serious issue.

Like discovering that I'm working on provocation of player vs monster and that provocation was persisting through death. Sometimes the simplest of changes can have serious side affects that can slip through the cracks.
    Andersonius likes this.
  11. Geo

Geo Active Member
    UO:R Donor

12. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

I was wholly aware of how it worked, but 200-300 ingots a shovel is pitiful considering a 20x plate lbod takes roughly 10k ingots, and the elemental spawn rate on pickaxes is pitiful. Strip mined my usual mine and spawned 12 eles, that's useless.
  13. BlackEye

?
    UsualMine.png
    Geo likes this.
  14. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

*facepalms*

@Chris, you completely ignored/missed my point, if you think I care at all about CONTROL slots.
  15. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

So right on par with actual mining? Sweet bro, sweet.
  16. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

Lol no, not that small, and really I wouldn't hold that single experience as definitive proof of anything considering I'm known for having bad luck with the RNG. I'm not really looking for a change either, just venting.
  17. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Kane we are open to player opinions regarding the gargoyle shovels, and one requested change is to remove the iron versions and double up the drop rate of all colored shovels. The system was also designed so that we could adjust the ore available without a server restart to achieve our goals of a viable alternative to script mining.

The next patch will also add the shovels as a possible drop from stone and normal gargoyles as well.
    Kane likes this.
  18. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

Both of those sound quite agreeable
  19. BlackEye

Without iron shovels, it will be hell to mine much iron (mainly traditional mining left over then?). You have to consider that garg pickaxes already don't spawn iron eles.
  20. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Currently it is just a request BlackEye, we are open to discussion on those items. Its probably a good enough subject to deserve its own thread so we can carry on that discussion there.