Capture the Flag Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'PvP Discussion' started by Chris, Jan 16, 2015.

1. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I agree with everything except for this. There is NO DOUBT Lightshade wants to make the playing field even and is not trying to pull any jedi tricks to make his mage more OP. I do think his suggestion would do just that, make mages more OP and turn this into a no dexxer game, but there is just no way that is his goal. Guy obviously is doing what he thinks is best for the shard.
  2. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member

You miss the point entirely. It shouldn't be about gear in any way.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Active Member

id like to know what point i have completely missed, you are saying its too much of a rich mans sport and i am saying its not.

thats the point
  4. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

So it seems there is an impasse as to the effects gm only gear would have on the CTF games.

I believe it will make take dexxers out of competitive CTF. As evidence I present Vlar's Fight Night. This player run tournament has a rule "No magic weapons/armor".
    To see if dexxers are viable under those conditions, lets look at the tournament results up to this point. The tournament has been won by a mage 11 out of 11 times. Having participated in the tournament on a dexxer on many occasions, I can attest that GM weapons just are not going to cut it. The damage output to kill a mage is just not there, even in a small 10x10 box.
    Dalavar likes this.
  5. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Here is how most of my CTF looks like on my mage : Cast heals, Stone walls, sometimes explosions and then hit Meditation for 2/3 of the game.

I don't think changing to all GM gear would make it a Mage only game...
    Mages have big down times and Dexxers can just keep going and going.
    Mes, Lightshade, Artex and 1 other person like this.
  6. Deuce

Deuce Active Member

i would repeat a post i have already made in response but lets just use somone elses

gm gear will make dexxers non-viable is that a better way to say mage only game?
  7. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Please tell me what problems I am furthering.

I attend CTF whenever I can. I speak positively about CTF. I do not complain about my teammates or the rules or anything else in IRC. I tell/show people why it's fun and that they can use any character type they want. I tell/show people they don't need voice chat or any of that stuff to be successful. I always wait and join the underdog team, rather than gang up on the vet team to stomp on people.

You are one of a few rich guys who constantly talk about wanting to get more people into CTF, and what an economic barrier there is. If you truly cared about getting more people into CTF right now, you would use your resources to remove the economic barriers for all those folks who find them insurmountable. That's called putting your money where your mouth is. And that way, all of these players would be in CTF right now.
  8. Bogugh

Bogugh Well-Known Member

Speaking of which, Bogugh's free gold runics for new/ish players to use in CTF program is still open. I have 19 charges left.
    Blaise likes this.
  9. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

None of the people calling for GM gear only were here when dexxers couldn't land a hit to save their lives and you bet your ass the majority of CTF players were running mages. I was there, I died many many times. I heard the lament of my teammates as we surrounded mages with four weapon swingers only to watch them LITERALLY type "LOL" and miniheal/walk away. Not run......walk.

Granted, times have changed and now you can actually kill a character with two well equipped dexxers. GM weapons? lol, get fucking real. Go out there and show us your wild successes on a team of GM equipped chars and I'll begin to think you have a remote understanding of actuality versus assumptions.
  10. Var

Var Active Member

Wrong. Your comparing apples to oranges. 10x10 duels are won by mages because of the RULES such as no cures, no poisoning weapons, no turning corners mid dump etc hinders a warrior. I win fights against the big D. mages on this server with power weaponry in open world pvp but couldn't beat a c-list mage who poisoned me twice and mini healed between swings in a 10x10 box.

Might have to make a movie picture show of "gm wep lol get real" in action if people come out and play :D
  11. Tuco

Tuco Well-Known Member

See? not a rich person's game at all. Bogugh and many others are totally willing to give away high end weapons for interested CTFers.

My dexxer was given an aggy axe for free, without asking, because of my interest in CTF. This community is awesome and don't you forget it!!
  12. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I've handed out a handful of vanq axes at CTF and have no problem sharing more, if people are actually interested in trying more than crying. :)
    Tuco likes this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Active Member

read this like 4 or 5 times, still not making any sense to me
  14. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Basically in a box with the dexxers nuts cut off (cure pots mostly but also lack of purples to "finish the job" between swings), they aren't much to worry about if you're on an eval mage...and capable. :) That said, Perseus used to win a lot of these same ruleset matches with a GM axe...before Pax got here :)
  15. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

I don't think Lightshade can be in any way expected to give out competitive weapons at every ctf to every needy player past and present. Doesn't it make much more sense that if a system is designed to encourage newer players to join(and lets be clear, it is, there are server messsges that everyone sees), then the system should be designed for the equipment that player can bring to be competitive?

The weapon mechanics should be such that gm weapons do fair damage. And then the highest end weapons do not do unreasonable damage.

Random made some great points. Dexers are explicitely designed to do steady, lower, less predictable damage. They have unlimited damage resource (especially in terms of ctf). And they dont share their damage resource with their expected healing and utility ability. While burst damage is probably always more desirable than sustained damage - this isn't fixed by giving dexers constant 40 damage hits.
    Lightshade likes this.
  16. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

The weapon mechanics of the era are suited to the armor applicable in the era. There's no bonus for better materials in weaponry until runics are involved, whereas barbed leather puts everyone at a level of defense unseen in prior eras. While dexxer damage resources may be unlimited, the application is NEVER specific and entirely....hit and miss. That's the balance versus magic damage from spells, that is specifically timed by the caster at will.
  17. Var

Var Active Member

Sorry I get excited. The standard rules of a duel, such as those used for Fight Night, make it almost impossible for a warrior...not just gm weaponry. However, in CTF or open field, with all the tools, warriors can be very powerful still at 1vs1 (if this can still happen)...
  18. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

You're wrong. I would do it for a specific reason, not just to grief innocent people. You must have forgotten that the c in cA stands for chumbucket, and chumbucket stands for JUSTICE.