Capture the Flag Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'PvP Discussion' started by Chris, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Refused Party Invite: STILL HAD THE FUCKING HEALTH BAR UP.

Cynic likes this.
  2. amfeKk

amfeKk Well-Known Member

I do not think cancelling CTF is the answer. I look forward to the daily event and it really makes no difference if I'm on the winning team or the losing team. So what there is the same team that dominates most nights.. Why can't a group of 4 CTF players get together, strategize and do the same? It's all about communication. You can't just sign-up for CTF, not party up, have no plan, and just run around with your head cut off and expect to win.

I'm going to have withdrawals if I don't have my daily dose of CTF..
    Blaise likes this.
  3. Var

Var Active Member

Ctf was supposed to be fun, lighthearted, and a SUPPLEMENT to pvp; a gateway for new players. Its turned into a tryhard, runic crafted SUBSTITUTE that has to be discouraging to those new players who arent in voice with friends.

Changes do need to be made. Would love to see some of these old names and new players out and about in the sandbox again.
    Vlar likes this.
  4. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

I personally do not see it as a substitute. It is far too infrequent to truly substitute for those wanting PvP. Once a day at staggered times means I can only make it to a few per week, which just leaves me thirsty for more pvp, not satiated.
    Cynic likes this.
  5. Var

Var Active Member

The numbers don't lie.

In the meantime, I'll be out in the sandbox looking for souls to eat playing with my trucks like vrooooooooooom errrr errr pshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ging.jpg
    Xegugg and Halabinder like this.
  6. Tuco

Tuco Well-Known Member

Time to chime in! New player here!

I started on this server in November. My first character was a peace/provo bard with mage/med/ei. I heard about the CTF and realized I could do something with my 3x mage. Did I expect to win? Hell no! I've been away from UO for like 6-7 years. I just wanted to run around, practice some risk free pvp and maybe kill a guy or two. This was a realistic expectation on my part. Had a lot of fun. I did a few matches with my bard and started to want more. I was ready to step it up a little. I also recognized the chance to learn to play a dexxer, so I made a lumberjack. I made him for CTF.

So, quick recap: noob joins server, tries CTF, has fun, feels the familiar drive to improve and gain competence so he makes a character to focus on exactly that. Noob friendly? Feels like it to me!

Ok, so a month or two go by, starting to CTF with my axer with about the same success as I was having with my 3x bardmage. Got a few kills here and there, not positive yet (as in kills < deaths) but getting closer. and then I landed on a team with bartimus, Pax, and The Amazing Cynic!!! Time for the next evolution! Within minutes I am on mumble for the first time ever, making flag related hotkeys (didn't even imagine that was a thing) and working with the team to coordinate and win the match. What an eye opener!

Now I want to do this more! It's not rocket surgery. In fact the voice chat was pretty quiet overall. There wasn't much to say. These guys were a well oiled machine and I just had to follow along and stay with the program. Compared with my previous CTF experience, this was a different approach entirely.

That was a big preamble to get to the main point. There are (at least) two different playstyles taking part in CTF. One is casual, random, just havin fun. The other is in it to win it, via coordination and teamwork. These two playstyles can work concurrently and people can have fun. I know. I did that. I guess theres also a third playstyle who wants to be competitive, but hasn't connected the dots on how to make that happen yet. I think these are the vocal minority who are bending Telamon's ear and making him want nothing to do with CTF until the community figures out where it stands.

Some suggestions have been put forward in this thread and my favorite is the one that was mentioned in irc last night about two flavors of CTF.

A competitive CTF league or something, with rewards for results, team choosing and so on. Pretty much exactly the format that exists, but with an understanding that this is the big kid's table and competition will be fierce. AFK's in the match should be extremely rare, since this is serious play.

A casual CTF 'league', with random teams, no rewards but the pleasure of playing, so the shy/solo/new folks can get their feet wet and enjoy the chaos. (it's fun!!) AFK's can happen and it's no big cuz it's all just for yuks anyway.

Maybe one match of each per day so there's plenty of play for those who want to play.

I'm really invested in seeing CTF back in action and playing it. Hell, I made a toon explicitly for CTF. Bring it back, please. kthxbye
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
    garvey, Halabinder, Cynic and 4 others like this.
  7. Bogugh

Bogugh Well-Known Member

More people do this please. We CAN get more competitive teams going.
  8. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

:(
    Tuco likes this.
  9. bart simpson

bart simpson Well-Known Member

Cant have PCP without the Cynic ;) Hell the whole guild was his idea. He is the leader as far as I am concerned.
  10. Tuco

Tuco Well-Known Member

FTFY. sorry mang!
  11. Var

Var Active Member

Damn your other two didnt make the team name? Are they the scub lawyers that didn't make the law firms name? Lets face it, no matter who made the team its always "Pax's team has our f'ing flag!" :mad:

Ps love you still Cynic
  12. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

See Pax here?

[​IMG]
    Tuco likes this.
  13. Tuco

Tuco Well-Known Member

My novice analysis: some coordination > no coordination.

Did I get that right? ;)
    Cynic likes this.
  14. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

And at least two of the guys on the other team were in voice (safe to assume since they are guildmates)...

Also, for what it's worth, the UOR mumble server has channels for each team and for the event lobby. It's not a lot to ask to get everyone in the mumble before the match so that each team is in voice.
  15. Random

Random Well-Known Member

So according to you, the reason why you win this match is because you are in mumble and /or in a party ?

Seriously ?
  16. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

I guess my arrows weren't clear enough.

1) In Voice
    2) Heals
    3) Caps
    4) Not farming mid.
    5) Those kills, outside of the mid farmers, were enemy FC's
  17. bart simpson

Seriously Random. Cordination is key and the ability to tell your entire team to attack a specific target by pressing a button. Not to mention outlining everyone's role before/during the match.
  18. bart simpson

19. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

And how would you describe the reason we won? Hax?
  20. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

For the record, Pax doesn't even talk in voice. He just listens and plays the game really fucking good.