Cartography Guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Soulman, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Soulman

Soulman New Member

After looking through the forums and the Compendium for a few days I found a guide for Cartography lacking so I decided to try my hand at creating my first guide as I was completely lost when beginning Cartography. All that is said on the topic of Cartography in the compendium is as follows:

First things first.

Materials:

Pen and Ink: If you attempt to use the Cartography skill from the skills menu as the compendium states, you will receive the message "This skill cannot be use directly". To use the Cartography skill to create maps, you need a Pen and Ink tool that is purchased from Mapmaker NPC's for 8g ( found with shipwrights, I used Occolo and Skara Brae)

Blank Scroll/Blank Map: The materials used for creating maps are blank scrolls (purchased from Mage and Scribe NPC's) and blank maps (purchased from mapmakers). You can use either one for training cartography but most will use blank scrolls because they stack and vendors that sell them are more abundant. Blank scrolls cannot be place into a commodity deed and weigh 1 stone each so they can be a pain to acquire and transport. Due to not being able to deed them you most likely will not be able to buy in bulk from other players so your best bet it to continuously buy from the same NPC's so their supply increases each time. I did it the most difficult way by running to each NPC to buy the scrolls (no magery). As being able to recall directly to each mage shop will reduce your time considerably, I would recommend using a character that can recall. I would run the same loop of shops I decided to hit roughly every one to two hours to collect the scrolls making sure the shops with the most mages were included (Moonglow, Occolo, Etc) To save some money I have been buying the scroll as I need them but from what Ive read you will need roughly 13,000 to go from NPC trained to GM.

The Setup:

To use the macro I created to train Cartography you will need a trash can and a restock back (either your bank or a bag in your house). For the macro to run properly you will need to be within range of both your restock bag as well as a trash can. I did this at the Occolo bank but most banks will have a trash can near them.

The Macro:

!Loop
    Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|0|Restock Agent-1 (Blank Scroll)
    Assistant.Macros.AbsoluteTargetAction|0|0|237485|3695|2520|0|400
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:01
    Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|0|Restock Agent-2 (Pen and Ink)
    Assistant.Macros.AbsoluteTargetAction|0|0|237485|4461|1154|0|400
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:00.5000000
    Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|4031|True
    Assistant.Macros.WaitForGumpAction|949095101|False|300
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:01
    Assistant.Macros.GumpResponseAction|23|0|0 <----- You will want to begin recording here and select the map type you wish to create, then delete the unused selection.
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:04
    Assistant.Macros.IfAction|5|1|100
    Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|0|Organizer Agent-1
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:15
    Assistant.Macros.ElseAction

Note: If you record your own macro, make sure to remove WaitForGumpAction after GumpResponseAction. When your tool breaks it will show as a system message and the gump will not show up which will cause your macro to time out for 5 minutes!

What this macro does is restocks one blank scroll and one pen and ink at a time to create a map. You will need to create a restock agent for Scrolls and one for pen and ink. You will also need to create and organizer agent for maps and set the hot bag for the trash can. This will run a check on your weight and empty the maps into the trash if it is over a set amount (100 stones on my macro). To change the map you wish to create simply double click your pen and ink to bring up the crafting gump, select the line in your macro that says GumpResponseAction, right click and select begin recording here, select the button corresponding to the map you wish to create, stop recording, then delete the unused line.

Running this macro has taken my Cartography from 50 to 85 in roughly 12 hours (including down time from purchasing scrolls and tools) and once I reach GM I will post my material usage stats. If you see any discrepancies or have an easier method, please comment and let me know. This is just the way I came up with and am in no way a UO: R or razor expert:).

Thanks for reading!
    Steady Mobbin and Rextacy like this.
  2. Intoxable

Intoxable Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Is there anyone who can assist me with this macro. I'm trying to setup the macro but its just failing. I may be missing key points. Anyone who has had luck with this?
  3. Intoxable

Is there anyone who can assist me with this macro. I'm trying to setup the macro but its just failing. I may be missing key points. Anyone who has had luck with this?
  4. Intoxable

5. Intoxable

Wow this forum is lagging hardcore. Made me post multiple times. Trying to delete. Sorry bout that
  6. Cretoma

Cretoma Active Member

Does anyone have any idea approximately how long will it take to macro this skill from NPC bought up to 99.5?