Cast Recovery Duration

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Mes, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

I'd like to see this reduced. What I'm talking about is the message you receive after casting a spell that informs you you are being prevented temporarily from casting any spells.
    It looks like this:
    [​IMG]

It feels about twice as long as it was during the era, although I have nothing to back this up. What I can say, is I spent quite a bit of my free time dueling on test center during UO:R and on my home shard baja. I dueled with the fellows from PK-HQ and qop. During this time the lower level spells were common and useful in duels. If someone poisoned you, they had a good chance of interrupting your cure attempt with harm/magic arrow/fireball or a debuff like weaken.

On our server this does not seem effective at all. If you poison someone you'd be hardpressed to interrupt it with any spell following it. They'll be able to cure it unless you waited for the recovery time to go away before targetting your poison.

Now let me say, at this point, that I understand very well that many people are not interested in mage duels and this would improve their game experience in no way. But I think that it adds skill and difficulty to spellcasting by adding diversity to the effective spells during combat.

So what I'm proposing is a reduction to that recovery time, maybe as much as half. As is it feels much more like the wait that was required during AoS if you had none of the fast cast recovery stat equipped.

Thanks for reading!
  2. Tater Salad

Tater Salad Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

I am Tater Salad, and I approve this message.

I went on the demo the other day and spammed mini heal and never got a "you have not recovered" message.

Spell casting needs a serious review.
  3. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I wonder if this could be variable based on the circle of the spell. I can imagine a longer recovery time necessary for a higher level spell, than something like 1-3 circle in any regard.

Sounds like something that we could play around with on test for a while to see how it fares. I'm down to try it out.
  4. Zagyg

Zagyg Active Member
    UO:R Donor

Amen. I just fought someone outside of Destard and watched him spam mini heal on the run. I didn't even noticeably gain ground on him as he regained all his life.
  5. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Any chance we can revisit this Admins?
  6. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Renaissance Staff

It's entirely possible that the spell recovery delay is too high, this is something that's been tweaked as necessary by trial & error since the Alpha & Beta stages. We can certainly take a look at the current status of the casting recovery delay & make changes respectively, however, I don't think that we'll be reducing the delay by as much as half of the current rate.

I know we spoke in IRC about this feature, but I've not yet had the opportunity to run any serious testing & get a basic demo of the proposed changes up on the test server. Hopefully this will be available soon, but will require very careful testing & examinations of whats being changed and how that affects the spell-casting system as a whole, else we could very quickly end up with a butchered system like that which exists by default in the RunUO distro package.
  7. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Sorta like what they run on every other shard out there.....

I look forward to some testing, hit me up if you wanna have some d000ls on test once implemented. :)