Census: Faction Guards in bases

Discussion in 'Factions' started by Liberation, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Because they'll attack defenders too. Wisps are neutral and won't attack you CoM people; Ogre Lords will wreck us just as fast as they would you.
  2. Liberation

Liberation Well-Known Member

Everyone's whining/accusations aside, this is an interesting thought.
  3. Atraxi

Atraxi Member

Okay, so you might have to put some effort into it, but you could definitely lure mobs into there to defend the base. It would be an effective last resort, for when you're on the ropes and about to die anyway.

Maybe it's not as easy as luring wisps is for us, but it's hardly impossible.
  4. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

Has nothing to do with effort, I appreciate the effort and tactic. It's just not equal across the board, if we lure Ogre Lords into a back room of our base to turtle into they will attack us first because we're the first to enter there.

Wisps are the only "monster" you guys can lure into your base with the absolute certainty that they will be selective in kiling your enemies only.

I highlighted the most important part in case it's not clear enough.
  5. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Renaissance Staff

Faction allied creatures will not attack members of their allied faction. They will defend themselves if attacked but if im not mistaken as long as you wait out the aggressor timer (2 min) while not being engaged with them they will "forget" the act of aggression & return to their allied state.

For example, TB is allied with silver serpents & during a vermin-horde champion spawn (barracoon) any members of TB are exempt from aggression from the silver serpents coming from the spawn.
  6. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

This is news to me. Time to dig up all those t-maps I have :evil:
  7. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Seeing as how you have ZERO pvp experience, you input is invalid. During the last base raid, the ONLY thing that happened was ONE guard being lured in. Aftwerwords a few mistakes by your own CoM members lured in lots of guards(which also have a limit as to how many can be placed of each type in a city at once). Your bad. Get good or go home. Your faction lures guards into a base because they get to close to OUR defense, but you guys can block every single 1 tile entryway (illegal on OSI shards) and lure in wisps and have dragons/traps waiting, along with 6 spell preloaded pvpers? Hrm... I think somebody got genuinely outsmarted/beat and people complained to staff. I've been apart of factions since day 1, and this has always been the way of things. Get good or get even, don't complain to staff. (complaining to staff is what created trammel and ruined UO in 95% of our eyes. Don't push them to change things to get people out of their ear"
  8. Liberation

If I had created this thread for everyone to complain about other peoples' style of PvP I would have created it in the trash bin forum.

Atraxi, Hatecrime: Please state your case for a change/no change and leave personal attacks and references to specific fights out of it.
  9. Atraxi

Atraxi Member

So, HateCrime. Your opinion is that faction thieves have no say in faction mechanics? I told you this was the first fight I participated in. I never said I was new to factions.

My point is just as valid as yours. And my opinion, which I will state one more time, then drop the subject is that faction guards in Brit and Mag should stay in Brit and Mag and not go into faction bases.
  10. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Faction guards have always followed enemy factioners into bases. The only change that needs made here is that all 3 accounts need to be somehow limited to joining 1 faction. End of story. There are easy ways to wall out/kill enemy faction guards, and if you own that city, well that your at the advantage that time around. All part of the game.
  11. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Guards are pretty much crap. This is the only time guards have ever done anything useful in factions, I think they should be linked to sigils in a way that if you don't kill the guards, you can't take the sigil. After a sigil is removed from the monolith the towns should go neutral then guards/npc vendors should not be able to be placed.

I am really liking this idea because it will give the controlling faction options to guard up a sigil to keep the base, maybe they don't have enough defenders at that time for base guarding. They can remove guards and grab sigil when they want but they lose the town until captured again. If other factions want the town this will promote town fighting instead of just base assault/guarding.
  12. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

I like this idea but let's play a game where I hide guards in crazy spots so you can't take the sigil until you find them :p
  13. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Yeah, that gets crazy. I spent a lot of time hunting down my lured off guards in Britain recently and have considered that it's just not wise to dump guards without an immediate purpose. I would like to see something like faction guards always gravitating towards the monoliths, regardless of presently location. Their true purpose is to guard the monolith for your faction when you already have control and can really just leave the sigil there in town. If an enemy faction wants to take it, they better have a super fast thief or a crew to dispatch the guards. They're not impossible to deal with at all, they really are quite simple.

They do serve a greater purpose of spinning in some balance to a lopsided battle. For example when I was running around trying to combat 2-3 CoM a while back all I had was my heal/stunner and "I am sheriff" to help. I wasn't about to bail out of GZ and get synch dumped 2s later. :p
  14. Atraxi

Atraxi Member

This made me lol irl.
  15. napo

napo Well-Known Member

Why not just nerf or remove faction guards?

Are they a fun thing to fight and/or have around?
    Faction guards being less of a thing may improve the quality of fights and give people less to hide behind.
  16. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

I haven't seen faction guards being used all that much other than as turrets. Rarely have I seen them around the sigils.

Blaise was using them as defense on TB bridge a week ago and we used them as offense a few nights ago.

I don't think they are fun to fight and as a turret they are annoying; kinda like traps at the healers in town. I don't thnk they should be nerfed but I think they should be limited to a specific radius around the sigil monolith.
    One likes this.
  17. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

I'm with you on the monolith guarding, after awhile of being lured away they teleport back to the monolith of the town they are summoned to. They are hardly a threat (without enemy faction players around) and provide no real incentive to kill.
  18. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

The mechanic is in place on all the spawn for treasure map chests where the spawn will head back to the chest after killing/losing its target.
    Having that in effect on all guards, set on the monolith, would be nice. It would also provide an appropriate inconvenience to faction vendor placement so as not to make it too easy to shop (vendors on bank roofs, for example).
  19. Liberation

it seems like just fixing the recall logic would be fine, here.
  20. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Agreed. If I had to choose between faction guards being too easy to rubberband and faction guards flooding into bases, I'd choose the former. Noone here really wants faction guards to be the deciding factor in battles.

Perhaps if the amount of available guards per city scaled with the size of the factions, it wouldn't be as much of an issue, but it would have to considerably cut down the amount of available guards currently.