Confused about options

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Dughlas, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Dughlas

Dughlas New Member

So my main is Dughlas, celtic bard dexxer:

GM Music
    GM Peace
    GM Anat
    GM Maces
    98 Tactics
    88 Healing
    30ish Magery

I've been reading that going with a provo mage would yield even bigger MOB takedowns like dragons, balrons, etc. My guess is I won't be able to do that with a dexxer. I really don't want to convert Dughlas into a provo mage nor do I want to start a new character solely for PvM because it would make Dugh obsolete. I'd like to keep him the way that he is after I GM all those other remaining skills and see where that takes me.

What kind of MOBs can I take down? I know I'll need slayer weapons.

Likewise, my option to get my mage kick out of my system is to make my crafter my full time mage:

Magery
    Med
    Eval
    Mining
    Tinkering
    Blacksmithing
    Tailoring

I ran OSI with Alchemy and Inscription, and I don't want to go down that route again. This character would also serve as a battle miner but with magery.

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome about what I should do or what options lay before me.
  2. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

3. Vandalin

Vandalin Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Peace breaks really easily but just work your way up the mobs gradually as you get comfortable. Lich Lords and Daemons are no problem for this build, blood eles with a little work. I imagine you could handle dread spiders easily too, but I've never tried them on mine. Carry pots, time your heals well, and practice breaking line-of-sight. Provo will let you handle more difficult mobs but I did just fine using a peacer when I started. If gold farming is your objective, just have fun with this character until you find you might like to try something else. By that time you will probably be bored of farming anyway.
  4. Dughlas

Dughlas New Member

Thank you for the reply! In addition to gold farming is dungeon crawling. Elder Gazers, Daemons, LLs, and potentially dragons are my targets for farming. Probably arctic ogre lords too if I could swing it.
  5. Lord Krake

Lord Krake Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

You can absolutely take down dragons and balrons with a peace dexxer!! Having slayers, being attentive, healing well and retreating when needed. Its quite the thrill actually.

A provo mage would also be great for when and where they spawn in pairs. But sometimes that is not the case.

Lots of us here have multiple characters for various types of hunts: provo mage, peace dexxers, discord macers, tamer bards, archer bots, town thieves, dungeon lock pickers, GM Beggars for that easy NPC gold (/sarcasm).

I feel that if you are trying to have just a single main character here you will be limited in what you can do, regardless of how great a build it is.

Check out some guides, keep asking questions, and we will all help you to be the best you can be and train you up as needed.

Welcome to UOR (if you are new) !

~Krake
    Romru and The Watch like this.
  6. Vandalin

Vandalin Well-Known Member

Yeah I think you can handle all of these, plus dragons and balrons like Krake said. It will take a little practice so be prepared to die but stick with it.
    The Watch likes this.
  7. Por Corp Wis

Por Corp Wis Well-Known Member

I dont play a peace/dexxer I play a provo/dexxer or a provo/mage so I cant comment on that part.

I will however comment on saying that making a provo mage will make your peace dexxer obsolete.

NOT SO!

Most "regulars" have 3 accounts full of characters used for different purposes with a wide variety of different builds. Many (a great many I would assume) like myself have a full 15 characters that are all used for some purpose...some more than others.

FWIW.....
    Lord Krake likes this.
  8. Surfrats

Surfrats Active Member

Even without slayer weapons you should be able to handily defeat those 300-500gp monsters with ease. You can do Fire Temple if you are feeling randy. Certain single spawn mobs will be good to find your bearings and work things out. Just make sure that you never leave home without at least 2 instruments.
  9. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

While you're free to attack anything you want with this particular character I think it's more about volume and guaranteed control. In my opinion anything beyond that is grounds for making a new character.

When picking targets I look at two things, their barding difficulty and their loot table.

I always have one of these characters on hand because frankly I like playing them. It's fun. Although for the most part I think this character for most people evolves into a provocation character. Or at least it used to be that way. Nowadays it's almost as easy to start with provocation as it is with peace.

However there's a lot of things I can do with a peacer that's just clunky on a provo.

If you aspire to tackle big game and then stop what you're doing right now and just make a tamer.
    Mykos likes this.
  10. Mykos

Mykos Well-Known Member

Thre is much truth in both of these statements.
  11. Cheapsuit

Cheapsuit Well-Known Member

I can't really suggest what other skills you should choose, it's all a matter of preference, but you definitely want peace if you choose a bard dexxer.
  12. Erza Scarlet

Erza Scarlet Well-Known Member

Magery
    Med
    Fishing
    Mining
    Tinkering
    Blacksmithing
    Tailoring

Fixed that for you
  13. Dughlas

Dughlas New Member

Why fishing?
  14. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  15. Dughlas

Dughlas New Member

100 gold?
  16. Por Corp Wis

100,000 gold
    One likes this.
  17. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

... let the corruption of the lambs begin.
    Erza Scarlet, Gossow and One like this.
  18. Erza Scarlet

Erza Scarlet Well-Known Member

My point was, that you propably wont be satisfied with just a Magery/Med/Eval Mage.

Since you already Picked up Mining and Magery, this character is similar to a character of mine.
    I also run Fishing on him, this saves me the trouble of an additional fisher on this account, while im using it together with 2 other Fishers, that will kill the monsters.

Magery+Med allows you to do a lot of stuff in general, eval would just cripple your options on that particular template, would be my honest answer. While i, in general, would tell you to just play whatever is fun for you, these are the choices to consider:

- Tracking (use this character as a scout, crafter, or recall miner)
    - Fishing (Fisher, Recall Miner, Crafter)
    - Hiding (Its fun, Farm with Bladespirits, Recall Mining)
    - Wrestling (gives you good evade chances)
    - Carpentry (there will be carp bods "soon" - you defenitly want it on a crafter + it goes well with other crafting skills!)
    - Lockpicking (Dungeon Lockpicker + Recall Miner + Crafter.. makes an interesting combo for lots of stuffs)
    - Resist (Resisting Spells, heck yeah!)
    - Lumberjacking (Why not an all around Gatherer/Crafter + Recall Mine / Lumberjacking... its an excellent fighting skill though, recommended for a Dexer!)
    - Eval Int (Only Adds spelldamage, but again... without Wrestling or Resist youre a victim for PvP templates, youre unable to dodge Melee attacks w/o Wrestling, enemy spells will hurt you more w/o Resist + additional spelldamage isnt as effective in PvM as you will farm with Bladespirits / EVs mostly)
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    One likes this.
  19. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

If he makes the template above with crafter skills and fishing, he'll get demolished. You still have to be able to fight monsters to get the loot, so sending out a crafter with no fighting skills will end with your death. I see that you put magery and med but where is the eval or the resist?

Crafter and fisher need to be 2 separate templates
  20. Por Corp Wis

My fishers are all partially completed but same template.

Fishing
    Mage
    Med
    Eval
    Tailor
    Blacksmith (in the works)

This still leaves me with 1 open skill on each character for miscellaneous whatever I want.

I don't know if it's ideal but it works just fine for me, and with 3 fishers who are full damage mage I wreck everything that I fish up in literally a few seconds.....

I don't use these characters to farm mobs at all other than serpents and other fishing mobs but you could blade spirit mobs that don't dispel.

FWIW