Cons or archery..

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Pill, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Pill

Pill Well-Known Member

The cons of archery as opposed to other weapons -
    - Can't run and shoot
    - Can't DP arrows
    - The heavy weapons are slower than the equivalent Halberd...War mace etc
    - Added weight from arrows
    - Cost more to use because of consumable ammo.
    - Can't create runic bows

Pros -

Funnest fighting skill out there!:D
  2. Cero

Cero Well-Known Member

No repair deeds, must use fort powder
  3. Pill

Pill Well-Known Member

Oh wow, I didn't even know you could use fort on them. It's like when OSI originally created Archery, they had an idea in their head, but it just wasn't well thought out. And they are like "screw it...good enuf". I sure wish we could find a way to rectify the cons. Something like at least a slight speed increase etc... SOMETHING to make it at least some what viable. I know this topic has been visited for years now. It's like the cure for cancer, no one has it.
    Malus Blackstaff and Vlar like this.
  4. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Actually, archery was way too good in '97 and '98 from what I gather, and they over-corrected. But it was, for a while, the cream of the crop.
  5. Artex

Artex Well-Known Member

If there's bowyer skill based BODs in the future maybe runic bows will be implemented (and be able to repair)? I know there's talk of being able to repair bows. No running shot doesn't make sense to me. That pause you might do in persuit just ruins any ranged advantage. I will say that a heavy crossbow does some nice damage but the wait to fire again is painfully slow with 65 dex. With no special attack for the heavy crossbow or crossbow archery is at a disadvantage. Rather have a running shot as a special move for archery or a piercing type blow. It's fun in a group unless they have an LJ axer or runic fencer that loves to beat up on melee opponents.
  6. Gnarl

Gnarl Active Member

UORarchery.jpg

An image can say a thousand words. Alas it still can't do justice to the pain in my heart.
    Keza, Jack of Shadows and Vlar like this.
  7. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  8. Pill

Pill Well-Known Member

Gnarl, I used to have that EXACT same bow when I was a kid. It was my favorite toy. I remember running around my grandparent's basement shooting random things and trying to get them to drop off the wall lol.

And yes, you're right Dalavar. I personally think that it was due to the fact of horses were irrelevant. Everyone was on foot and chopping from dial up, that archery worked. I know it's completely inefficient in today's UO. I fought a guy last night just to test it. He was a LJ swords mage and I was archer mage. The hits from a typical bow (+20 of power) were so random. Sometimes 10 damage...sometimes 35 or so. Plus it was very slow.

I also tested pvp with a heavy cross bow, and actually had better success. However, if you miss a shot, you had better you better go grab coffee and come back before you're able to shoot again.. lol

^^With all that said, I had a lot of fun running around shooting :)
  9. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Gnarl, I could shoot a flea off a dog's back at 20 yards with one of those. The secret was to buy the extra arrow packs, which used a different foam and made a tighter fit around the bow, so less air was lost upon shooting and more force was transferred to the arrow. You could also manually angle the fins a bit, to get more rotation, and yes I never had sex in high school, why do you ask?
    Pill, ReZon and Basoosh like this.
  10. Gnarl

Gnarl Active Member

Pill:
    LOL

I figured most of us are of the age where we would recognize this, the original nerf bow. That is why I chose it and not one of those newfangled nerf bows with the flames on them.
  11. Pill

Pill Well-Known Member

Agree man...Everytime I go into the Target or WalMart, I am like....nope not quite it. I have been wanting to go on eBay and find one. I have a couple of nerf guns that shoot the little darts. My gf used to get me one for Christmas every year. I have a great dane and he isn't too fond of the Nerf guns lol. He immediately runs and hides in the bathroom. I am sure he'd really freak out if a giant arrow was coming his way!
  12. Mighty Ore

Mighty Ore Active Member

Uhh, what? No Blaise posts here?
  13. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I know it makes you feel better to think I live on these forums. I actually just post mostly from work or over morning coffee. Thanks for making it obvious that you bring nothing at all to the table aside from sad attempts to trash talk me because you can't get me out of your head (ie: you love me). Get good, nerd.

Cons:
    Only way to avoid getting smashed when hitting potions is to add Wrestling (or go Eval)
    Orcish Bows take two arrows per shot and the damage still sucks (but that range is sweet)
    Shot speed is still terrible with 100 Dex and a heavy xbow...but damage is so high, not sure if it should change really. It's just annoying.

Pros:
    There's a billion unused bows on the shard because barely anyone plays archers.
  14. Athena

Athena Active Member

I want to test archery more but there seems to be a horrible lack of any slayer bows besides silver on vendors and I think I've only ever looted a lizard mam slayer myself! I'd like to see shot speed tweaked up a tiny bit or something as well bows just seem too inconsistent damage wise.
  15. AlhaZred

AlhaZred New Member

1st, i think it was just proven as a scientific fact that if you speak of him, he shall appear.

2nd, archery is definitely one of those skills here that feels unfinished. any other weapon skill has a handful of weapons with varying degrees of damage and swing speed. archery has 3. and none of them are really fast at all. i have a mace fighter who uses a war hammer with 90 dex. the war hammer hits faster than the normal bow which i believe is the fastest of the 3 archery weapons. bod rewards for bowcrafting could do alot for making archery feel more complete. i made my archer mainly for rp reasons but it would also be nice if he felt more competent during combat as well.

ps, i still have fun playing my archer but if any changes came to archery in the future i surely wouldn't complain
    Basoosh likes this.
  16. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I'm not Beetlejuice, but I do appreciate the notion. It's really only a matter of time before I reply to any thread I feel like giving a crap about. If you do the research, you'll see there are countless threads here that I just have not given a crap about. I work on computers and have ample free time to take part in conversations on various public forums. This just happens to be my favorite one. :)
  17. Mighty Ore

Mighty Ore Active Member

And there he is!
    Pill likes this.
  18. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

So I guess you think it's somehow better to post utterly useless posts that have absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand? lol and people call me a troll?
    *facepalms*
  19. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

20. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member

Archery works best in groups of 3-5. You can drop someone quick with a well timed volley and do it instantly from stealth.
    My favorite guild ever was THWACK! It was me and 6 other stealth archers. SO much fun

hmmm...

Anyone want to get together and go out and PvP on stealth archers?