Control Slots for Tamed Monsters and Animals

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Blaise, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

Imps could lead to a serious imbalance. Right now an untamed imp has a tendency to cast flamestrike, something that wryms/dragons/mares don't do out-of-the-box. A pack of 6 freshly tamed imps has a decent shot at insta-killing someone, especially when combined with the tamer's magery. Also, I don't see as how imps add any real value to a tamer beyond the insta-kill other than eye candy. Why imps and not hell hounds or lava lizards or mongbats.? And if you're after eye candy, why not swamp dragons or flying beetles?
  2. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Personal preference. Imps are cool.

Also, I'm fairly certain the chance is there that two dragons or four mares + the tamer's magery, could basically insta-kill anyone too in the right circumstance.
    I think of it more like having the same end results of a couple dragons, with more ground coverage.

From what I'm seeing farming it up with 3 Imps, they are hardly overpowered. I can drop an ogre pretty quick but anything that can heal is still a challenge (magic mobs, players, etc).

I'd like to goof off with it on test for a while to see how effective or potentially imbalanced it is.
  3. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

For imps, I think moving down to 1 control slot each is probably overpowered. Indeed the insta-kill potential would be an addition to the game, and thus neither accurate nor warranted for pursuing "perfection", IMO. 1.5 slots would probably be similar (i.e. 5 imps, or 4 plus a nightmare). But maybe worth testing, if possible.

+1 for pack instinct though. I actually logged onto the boards to mention this, and found this thread already. Not an era-accuracy suggestion, of course, but a "perfected" suggestion.

A couple of parameters to suggest... at the time pack instinct was implemented, control slots was limited to 5, so you'd have to adjust bonuses based on the potential of up to 8. And would love to see some kind of defensive bonus added there too, if this was implemented, but that's really speculating.

Anyways just my .02, love the idea of this and to the original original point of the OP, it would potentially add to the flavor of the game. I'm already going to be running a pack of dire wolves soon, but it would be nice to be able to kill stuff with them :)
    One likes this.
  4. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Renaissance Staff

Regarding the pack instincts, imps already have this feature. By default, imps share the Daemon pack instinct, which means that they will naturally fight at an elevated level of skill while around other creatures of that species.

[​IMG]
  5. Paradigm

Paradigm Active Member

Don't forget to adjust the summoned Daemons :|
  6. Dalavar

Oh, I just assumed that was an artifact of the interface and not actually implemented.

What are the pack instinct bonuses on this server? Thanks!
  7. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

I know a crazy tamer who once took on the city of the dead with an overwhelming force of hell cats, imps, and ostards. (20-30?) It was epic, but sadly it did not occur in these lands. I sort of wish all my adventures could have taken place here.

This had essentially been a long written way of not voicing my opinion one way or another. Thank you for reading this far. If you continue reading past ---> this point then you just voted for Blaise to lead his mongbat army. Thanks for playing!

P.s. 20 mongbats sync'd on a lich = epic
    One likes this.
  8. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

We need tamed wyvern, silver serpents and dread spiders.

Yours truly,

Wulveritis
    One likes this.
  9. stryker2

stryker2 New Member

Although I find the idea of 6 imps interesting I have to say that in a pvp scenario ..it just dose not play out well..I remember taming 10 bulls and killing people with them. Its not so much the power of the tamed creature as it is the number and (trapping/interrupt) capabilities thrown in with the tamers margery...this being said...I would still love to see some one rocking others with 6 imps or hell cats.
  10. Godric Greycliff

Godric Greycliff Well-Known Member

I'd like to add tameable phoenix's to my list of demands.
    One likes this.
  11. Jupiter

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(emphasis on ^)
    One likes this.
  12. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member

Buff the bunnies !!!

I didn't read the whole thread but I pretty quickly got the idea that buffing bunnies would solve all problems.

Isn't it odd that bunnies can't cast e-bolt even though their real life counterparts can ?

Also, please introduce a new bunny slayer named "holy hand grenade"

[​IMG]
    One likes this.
  13. Dalavar

Phoenixes are probably stronger than dragons. I had two well-trained dragons wailing away on one, and probably healed more than 800 HPs with bandages. Don't get me wrong, I'd love this too, but I don't think it's balanced.

Additionally, on this note, I don't think phoenixes are doing their heat radiation here. That was the real PITA about them back in the day... anyone within two tiles got burned every few seconds. And since your pets are next to the phoenix, and you're next to your pets (healing them), it's almost impossible to avoid.
    One likes this.
  14. Jupiter

HAHAHAHA

Good point. I think I support this more out of novelty rather than usability. But yeah if one silly bird can take on two dragons, that's pretty strong. Maybe something to consider way far down the road.
  15. Ezekiel

Neither fire nor ice oriented creatures currently have the damaging radiation aura, this has been on the back-burner for quite some time.
    One likes this.
  16. Dalavar

Ah, right, snow elementals used to do that too, right?

Not a huge deal, IMO - phoenix is still rare & tough without it, and no one's really farming snow elementals. But I figured I'd mention it.
  17. Ezekiel

Most fire & ice creatures originally had the aura abilities.

Specifically:

• Ice Fiends
    • Snow Elementals
    • Ice Elementals
    • Phoenixes

Should all radiate damage just by standing near them. I believe the efreet may have also had a fire aura, but I am not certain. I don't think any of the lesser ice creatures had an aura though. (ice serpents, frost spiders, etc)
  18. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

That would really suck to buff the phoenix, they are strong as hell and drop less gold than dread spiders. They also drop less gold than a dragon, so why should they be more powerful than a dragon? If they could be a pet maybe 4 slots for one... ;)

also silver serps should drop more than a pathetic 100g.
  19. Ezekiel

Phoenixes aren't generally a commonly farmed creature, so I suspect this was overlooked & may still be dropping its default loot. Phoenixes should offer approximately 1300~ gold + items. Silver serpents unfortunately are just poor ;)

I'll double check the phoenixes loot, thanks!
    One likes this.
  20. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Aww but why do SS drop about same as lava serp? SS doesn't even drop hides either?