Curious! Roll call!

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by It'sallALark, Sep 20, 2016.

1. It'sallALark

It'sallALark Well-Known Member

Who's still playing here since alpha/beta/1st year/2nd year

If you aren't, but still check the forums, please explain why you left.
    newme likes this.
  2. LesClaypool

LesClaypool Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers
    UO:R Subscriber

i have been here since the beginning.
    Ron Jeremy, ReZon, Avery and 2 others like this.
  3. It'sallALark

I know, I think I spent the first year trying to catch you afk at Serps :p (Les is always on point)
    newme likes this.
  4. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    newme likes this.
  5. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member

I don't really play all that much outside of hanging with a few core friends and have completely abdicated running a large guild as its a completely thankless job. I kept getting sucked into the vitriol even as I attempted to avoid it, so I cut the cord and don't spend nearly as much time in-game. Now I just mock the vitriol a bit when I'm bored and enjoy the company of the good folks that do play this game. I stay out of main IRC and have found that this game is much more enjoyable without ~99% of the playerbase. I know that sounds a bit negative, but it is what I have found is true for me. If any of you actually miss me, I can be found lurking in #KoS when i'm at the computer.

Regardless, I wish everyone the best even if I can't really stand you as a player. :p
    newme, One and It'sallALark like this.
  6. the finest

the finest Member

I played here for about 2 days; years ago ( hence the forum age ).

I didn't enjoy the grind of this server, it really is a pain to gain skill compared to other servers. But with the recent death of my main server and the fact I can't stand the "most populated" server out there I was "forced" to make my move here. I've been spending the past week macroing to 7x my toons, I'm a huge pvp guy so I'm just going to say most pvpers nowadays don't have the patience to make the transition here.

Alot of the people I will tell about this server are turned off by multitude of things.

1. UOSteam not being allowed.
    2. The grind of skill gains.
    3. Red skill lost paired with point 2.
    4. Not accustomed to some of the pvp mechanics here. IE. Explosion pots & Wands.
    5. Ghost Town ( AFK players, literally every player has said "anybody here not a bot?", I too have said this and am hoping once I get my characters out in the world I will run into people.)
    That being said I'm liking my time so far here, please don't complain about your forums here being inactive, these are the most active UO forums I have seen in a long time. A suggestion I would like to make is to add a DISCROD CHANNEL many of the people I want to come play ask whats the join info ( I too looked for a discord channel as a means to get information about the server ), people are curious and they want to see the community it's just a lot of them refuse to use IRC, I know there is a way to link the two chat rooms so it's something to look into can bring new chaps along!
    newme likes this.
  7. It'sallALark

It's easy to focus on the negative, but there are a lot of positives too. I hope you stick it out and become one of our dysfunctional family.

Maybe this thread will be a good sounding board to get new player's input and maybe some old players to return.

I was trying to remember a lot of our first year folks and got wistful, which is why I made the post.

@Mutombo @Tater Salad @corruption @etc etc
    newme likes this.
  8. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    newme likes this.
  9. Cero

Cero Well-Known Member

1200 days and counting, play time is off prime and small, but it's always fun!
  10. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Not coming back, likely ever. If PvP got really hot, like booming hot, maybe Tater would pop up. The others, sadly, are pretty jaded for various reasons and not likely to return at all. Though I wish they'd all come back, I had some good times with them.

You know I'm from beta and never going away as long as the login still works.

Steam is OP and a pvp crutch. There's nothing you can't build within a week. Stick to your skillball shards if you need more than what can be done here with Razor. Kind of a big cop-out if you ask me and much more likely that folks are literally invested with real world dollars on other shards and unwilling to call it a wash.
    newme, One and It'sallALark like this.
  11. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    newme and It'sallALark like this.
  12. Baine

Baine Well-Known Member

I joined within the 1st year, maybe 3-6 months after launch.

My game-time has slowly declined over the years but that's not because I've lost interest in the game. In the time I've played here I've become a father, been deployed, and entered a kick-ass career (with long hours.)

Love the game,
    like the server,
    avoid the players. :D
  13. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

I joined roughly two weeks after the 2nd anniversary. Since then I am hooked. Even though the ping doesn't work for me + pvp, farming is still very enjoyable. You just have to try new stuff out.

That is some really enlightening stuff how new veteran players might feel here. Staff could learn much from these lines, although I am happy with #1, #2 (it's really no grind at all with Razor), #3 (Reds shall be punished when playing a bad boy and not being able to survive). But #4 and especially #5 seem legit to me. The Discord channel was also asked for months ago. There was a big thread. And still it hasnt been done anything about it. I wonder how many players were lost or never joined UO:R because of this neglect.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  14. Gideon Jura

Avery and newme like this.
  15. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

Gideon! I am really surprised that the #1 shady and hypocritical person gets out of his ivory tower full of Trammel and tries to derail this thread by shifting to personal attacks. Naturally, I will report your post although I know this will be as effective as pressing charges against OJ for murder.
    Xegugg, Cero and Orange like this.
  16. LanDarr

LanDarr Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor

Aight, I don't even know what DISCORD is.... Does that make me old, out of touch or both

I got here almost 4 years ago, within my first week here, there was this overland invasion of sorts coming from Despise Valley.
    I found a trophy on a body, ratman I think, that I just killed. I still have it today and count it as one of my most prized possessions, including any serverbirths I may have owned.

I am friends or friendly with all here. I don't think I have any real enemies or nemesi (plural of nemesis?). People come, people go. All for various reasons. I miss everyone I have known that has left. Good, bad or otherwise, they have left there mark here and have made UOR what it is.

On one hand, I wish everyone got along better, lived in perfect harmony and such, but that's not realistic nor the way the world works both in and out of UOR. People are people, they are gonna have good days and bad, they are coming here to forget the real world, or take out their frustrations, build something, have a good time, hang out with friend or just play a game for a while.

On the other hand, I am glad folks don't go skipping through the tulips holding hands and singing songs together. This is UO, first, last and best MMORPG where you choose your own destiny, play your way and reap the rewards or suffer the consequences.

If I could wave a magic wand and change only one thing - CARPENTRY BODs!! Seriously tho, less taking shite to the personal level.

Peace - OUT.....
  17. Valrick

Valrick Well-Known Member

Been here since before second anniversary by a little margin. Took a few refresh breaks along the way but still around
    It'sallALark and newme like this.
  18. Bankshot

Bankshot Member

I probably joined 7-8 months after launch. I play for a few months here and there as the bug bites but I always kept up with the forums. I just recently started playing again after about a two year break, kids happened there but my houses still never went further then "somewhat worn".

This time around i'm building a battle miner and finally working on a crafter and might get into doing BODs. I never touched them back on OSI servers so that should be something new and cool to keep me occupied for a bit.
    It'sallALark, newme, LanDarr and 3 others like this.
  19. ReZon

ReZon Well-Known Member

Joined in June 2013
    Retired in February 2016
    Unretired in August 2016...

[​IMG]
  20. Gideon Jura