Custom houses in UO:R

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by TheVin, Mar 11, 2016.

Would you like limited custom housing to be implemented?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2016.
  1. Yes, I really love the freedom of creativity and the gold sink it brings!

23.8%
  2. No, I do not like custom housing and no rules could ever change that.

74.6%
  3. I have no opinion on the matter.

1.6%
  1. TiMi

TiMi Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I really dont understand where your going with this? i dont mind if people disagree thats the point of a discussion.

Telling people to go play elsewhere because you disagree is really pointless.

I really cant explain it any better for you. grab me some crayons ill draw you a picture.
  2. TheVin

TheVin New Member

No need for personal drama, let's keep it constructive in the level of discussion and not personal attacks :)
    Alice Asteroid likes this.
  3. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

Mindless has missed the last months weeks days, when everybody grew tired of shittalk.

@wylwrk

[​IMG]
    One and wylwrk like this.
  4. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member

If telling someone who's main argument for a mechanic/system is "it exists on another shard" to go play there instead is shit talk...

Than I guess I'm a bigger asshole than I ever even realized.

Touche.

PS. You could run while casting on some of my favorite UO shards ever... you don't see me suggesting it to Chris.
  5. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    One likes this.
  6. TheVin

TheVin New Member

Main argument was that it offers originality and variety in the game as well as an additional feature that's a good money sink.
  7. Kryptonical

Kryptonical Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

Under what circumstances should you encourage a person on this server to go play a different server?....

hint: I'm asking a rhetorical question, but to explain: the scenario above falls into that category of when this IS NOT ok...actually most scenarios fall into the category of when you should NOT advise some one to go play elsewhere.

If you don't like some ones opinion or viewpoint on a subject, voice your view point, make a case either way, then shut the fuck up.
    fooka03 and TheVin like this.
  8. TiMi

TiMi Active Member

that wasn't the argument at all, for you to even comment this makes me think you didn't even read the whole conversation.

I tried to pm you and clear this obviously misunderstanding up however you are non responsive, other than continuing on in this thread.

Best Regards
    TiMi
  9. scuba

scuba Well-Known Member

This is like tater tots all over again!
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  10. Alice Asteroid

Alice Asteroid Well-Known Member

I would trust Chris to design some new house types (East facing doors?!) but letting the player? Heavens no.
  11. Erza Scarlet

Erza Scarlet Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

12. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

I agree to the idea that we could have a yearly (or semesterly) contest for new housing designs (maybe something attached to the decor contest?), where the champion would feature on UO:R housing. The choice would be made solely by the staff - as they are the ones capable of identifying which contestants follow the UO:R guide of game design, layout, etc. -- with the help of a popular poll. They could even elaborate a set of rules (minimum/maximum footprint, no this, no that, obligatory that).

I don't think giving players ability to build their own house (even with limitations) would be a good idea at all.
    El Horno likes this.
  13. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

Custom housing (even with rules)= bad
    New house designs = good
  14. Potion Commotion

Potion Commotion Member

I think it's a bad idea, and I love custom houses! The problem is that 2 or 3 of the homes on the entire server might look as nice as the ones you posted. Most of them are going to be dirt plots with 4 walls and a teleporter, and they will look better then most folks attempts at home construction. I'm annoyed enough at people shitty attempts at deco, but at least the house itself looks ok.
  15. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

The problem with new housing designs is that it requires a client update. I know Chris has been kicking around client updates for a long while, because it's tedious and a burden to the player base. That said, I'm in support of new deed-homes that fit the look and feel of the era. Things like the tower with the CY or even the swamp housing (which I think has always been a shortcoming of the deed houses), and more wood/log style housing.

I would love custom housing but not in ways that most people would agree. I would severely restrict the tile set/options and blank plots would have totally insane decay timers. For example, if you don't have four walls and a roof, your shit is decaying over night. Don't place until you're ready to build a house for realsies. I won't bother droning on about every little detail about what I would do to make it "perfect" for Ren. We can have that conversation if/when Chris decides whether or not to go there. As for it being a gold sink, hell, that's a pretty good idea. Bring on custom housing but make it disgustingly expensive, like 10,000 gold per wall segment, and shit like that.

I will say that it is not out of line in any way to suggest to players to go play where they can get what they want, because that's how other shards are run. Don't like mounts? There's a shard for that. Don't like building characters? There's a shard for that too. How about totally ridiculous housing and ghastly mounts? There's a bunch of shards for that.

You want good, clean, old-fashioned UO? This is the shard for that.
    Iago and Alice Asteroid like this.
  16. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Like others have said, other server have custom housing already. I dont dislike custom housing, its just not for this server.
    Tyndall likes this.
  17. Alice Asteroid

Alice Asteroid Well-Known Member

Man, I don't even think any of the houses in the OP look remotely good.
    Mindless likes this.
  18. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

WHAT!? You mean you wouldn't want this next to your tailor shop?

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  19. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member

20. Tsarkon

Tsarkon Active Member

[​IMG]