Custom Housing

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Jack of Shadows, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Lethius

Lethius Member

Thanks marine. It isn't a very "standard" kind of house, but it shows what you can do to dress up what is essentially a big block with the stone tileset.

Here's another one - another a big box, I wanted to try to make a decent looking "box": It was our guildhouse where we held meetings and ceremonies. (The shields and books were those of members who had left the game)

[​IMG]
    Godric Greycliff likes this.
  2. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

The customization of the castle into the fortress is one of the things that drew me to this shard, and I'm sure others.

I think it's important to remember that this customization was:

1) understated
    2) mostly on the interior
    3) did not change the footprint
    4) did not significantly change the landscape as you run around and explore
    5) fit into the price gaps between existing houses

For these reasons, as much as I like the house above, I don't think that type of thing is good for the shard.

I think the only major gap in house price is between the marble patio (192k) and the tower (433k). My .02 would be to think about how to fit something between those price points. I think the Large Brick house might be the best candidate, since its interior can be customized without much visible alteration on the outside. Maybe some small rooms around the edge, like the fortress, with a hallway down the middle that leads to a great room. I dunno.
  3. marine1217

marine1217 Member

Adding a variety of options to our housing will add to our player base while as well making our shard more unique than it already is. I think this is a great idea. We do not have to use any that are shown but we can take into consideration of someone adding different types than we already have. I am all for a different kind of fort or castle. small homes. It gives flavor too everyones different styles and as well when i walk across and only see the same type of houses it becomes an eye sore.
  4. Lethius

Lethius Member

I agree entirely with this. understated is the key. I liked the houses I made, but that is MY design preference, they are very busy designs.

Any house added should fit in with the core look of the game. I have to say that I don't like the marble houses because they violate for me what is a key flavor of the game: stone, wood and plaster, etc...

If anything, I would like to see variations on the small tower, log cabin, fieldstone, wood and plaster, in the 12x12 footprint, and even 10x10.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  5. marine1217

marine1217 Member

Yes, i agree with you on the aspect of marble houses. They look like they should not be here...
  6. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Marble homes together looks nice, it is all based off of Wind.
  7. Tabius

Tabius Active Member

Not sure how I feel about this...

I really disliked Custom houses because of the lack of effort of some players.
  8. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

FWIW, I think boothby's idea of customizable, tile by tile, but only on the inside, is really nice. Also it would remove the need for that dumb looking foundation.
  9. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

I have to say that the server is damn special and extra spicey already. While I am not opposed to more housing options (still trying to fight my real-estate addiction) I think only staff made additions should ever make it into the game. I see no harm with player created threads where they post their creations as suggestions, I love seeing the different possibilities and what people's creativity can produce. I am sure something like this is already on the back burner anyway, this server keeps getting better slowly but surely its being perfected. :)
    ReZon likes this.
  10. Stranger

Stranger Active Member

The most amazing staff created custom house I have ever seen was the massive 14 million gold castle on UOGamers: revelation. No player was ever to afford it, I wish I could find a pick of it, it was amazing.
  11. Stranger

Stranger Active Member

I think a two story house based on the old style patio would be awesome.
  12. Stranger

Stranger Active Member

Ah, was able to find a pic of the 14 mil large castle type house. I dont think it would be against the rules to post this video since the shard tanked years ago....
  13. orb

orb Active Member

Can we get pet dyes?
  14. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member

Can I have this castle? Its only like 30,000 items....it might not crash everyone...? :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
  15. marine1217

marine1217 Member

I am all for staff created houses, custom by players unattended could get out of hand. unless we could only mess with the inside and not outside. Lightshade that house is amazing, although there is no space for it anywhere probably.
  16. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Lightshade, totally love that 'castle'.
  17. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

Lightshade needs to put a scale to his model. I bet just one if those turrets really takes up about 12 city blocks.

I'd love to be a squatter in one of those.

Just make sure nobody gets a cy rune!
    Dalavar likes this.
  18. wvmtnman

wvmtnman Member

I'd like to have a small house with like a hut type theme... That my PCs cab use for hunting outposts.... Also the empty dirt plots got me thinking.... I wish we could but like a said 10X10 dirt "Plot" where I could buy seeds to plant a garden... Maybe even a small barn type building..... Ok... I'll stop LOL
  19. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

I will join your army Lightshade!
    Jupiter likes this.
  20. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member

One thing I would love to see with new houses (not custom housing, but those available from the Carpenter Shops) is all the current houses we have re-themed, so to speak. Like each size of house had a whole matching scheme.

Like the small houses need a sandstone, marble, bamboo, and a stone version to match the keep/tower/castle.

The small towers need a bamboo, sandstone, etc...

The sandstone with a patio needs an equivalent sized house for all the other themes.....etc...

On and on....

It would add a ton of variety to the housing landscape while simply using the same house footprints and styles that already exist.

Going forward from that, I would say that any new house added should have all the various types of walls/themes added for it, also.

Just my .02
    Vlar likes this.