Damage with Weapons (axes)

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Zim, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member

So I was training up a limberjack the other day and I noticed something funny.

Sometimes I would do less damage than I had Lumberjacking to a naked toon. Isnt this a mathematical impossibility?
    [​IMG]

Its a little obscured by the dyes, but you can clearly see that with 73.5 lumberjacking I did 6 damage. Shouldnt I be getting a +7 damage bonus? My tactics wasnt GM in the pic, but is 90. I should at least be doing 100% weapon damage.
    Im using a brand new, plain hatchet. No magical modifiers, no exceptional bonus.
    My character had 67 Strength
    That said, the base damage of the hatchet should be 1d16+1 or 2-17 with 50 in tactics. (I had 90)

So plugging the numbers at a minimum I should be doing 9 damage a hit (2 minimum with +7 from lumberjacking) Even if Lumberjacking checks the real skill for damage, then I should be doing 9 minimum. All that doesnt count in anatomy or strength bonuses.

I dont know what Im missing here. Do characters have a base amount of armor, even naked? Is this an oversight from AoS era resist mechanics? The toon Im hitting has GM resist. Is it a bonus for riding the very best mount in the game, a ride-able llama?

Thoughts?
  2. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Is your target’s macing skill high? That may have something to do with it, like how it’s harder to hit someone with gm wrestling. That’s my guess, though I don’t think it works that way.
  3. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member

No, the guy im hitting is a med fencer. I equipped the mace to get faster tactics/LJ gains. He essentially has 0 macefighting skill.
  4. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

The “war axe” doesn’t count as an axe, it’s technically a mace. We’re you using that, or a hatchet?
  5. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member

Hatchet. Store-bought, brand new, no bonuses.

The character I was training was a swords/lumberjacker using hatchets.
    I was hitting a fencer that was holding a mace, was naked, and had GM resist.
  6. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

With the character stats I see in the screenshot and assuming 100 str, your minimum damage roll on a store bought hatchet is... 7.

This declines as the weapon is used (think of it like a weapon getting dull and needing "repaired").
  7. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member

I hear ya. I made sure to take the screenshot within the first 10 swings after I equipped a brand new hatchet. Dont get me wrong, there were a lot of 14 and 16 damage hits too, it just seemed weird to get a 6 damage roll with:
    67 STR
    90 Tactics
    99 Anatomy
    69 Lumberjacking

I used this webpage to get my damage stats:
    http://www.uorenaissance.com/info/?page=info&id=2004
  8. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Not weird at all.

It falls in line with the data you provided, especially after factoring in your 67 str.
  9. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member

Huh, I guess I was thinking that the +6 damage from the Lumberjacking was added on to the total damage of the hit. Does LJ just add to base weapon damage, then that base weapon damage is factored into the formula?
    For Example:
    at 50 tactics the hatchet does 1d16+1. So a base damage roll for that would be 2-17.

Does GM Lumberjacking add its +10 to the base damage roll bringing a hit with a hatchet up to 1d16+11 (12-27)??? Or does it add its damage to the final damage calculation? ((BaseDam+StrBonus+AnatBonus)+10)?

Even so, I thought that anatomy and STR only ever ADDED to the base weapon damage. So even 0 str and 0 anatomy would just give you a bonus damage of 0. Meaning that you would still, with GM Lumberjacking and at least 50 tactics (which uses 100% of base weapon damage) do base weapon damage as a minimum. Which in the example above, would equate to 12-27 regardless of where and what the bonus was applied to.

all that said, shouldnt the base weapon damage of a hatchet, with 60 lumberjacking, be 1d16+7 (8-23)?
  10. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Without lumberjacking your minimum damage with that weapon on the character you've listed is... 1.
    The bonus to damage from the amount of lumberjacking you've listed is 5.

Yes, the axe may have base stats but your character brings it's combat effectiveness... which in this case is slightly less than base.
  11. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member

Ooooohhhhhh. So basically, the whole combat effectiveness thingy Ive been reading about is all about bringing the damage you deal with a weapon up to that base damage. So with 100% CE, yould do 100% base damage, then add the modifiers to that.
    So youre saying that a store-bought hatchet will NEVER do more than 2-17 damage period. The only way to make it do more damage than that is to add a damage modifier like Force, Power exc, and/or have lumberjacking?

Interesting.

So what strength do you need to reach 100% CE with GM skills?

Is there a Combat Effectiveness formula around I could take a peek at? :)