Damaging field spells and summons within guard zone

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Canis, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Turtle Chomper

Turtle Chomper Member

Sure... all you have to do is call the guards. (or better yet; be close enough to an NPC to do it for you)

I think people here too easily throw around the "it contributes to nothing but griefing" argument. The RISK... and constantly having to be thinking/staying on your toes (even in the sense of not leaving your character effectively brain dead [afk] in the middle of town) is what created a lot of the excitement of this game for me personally.

I recently noticed I couldn't even release pets in town... what gives? All you have to do is call the guards on them, and POOF they're gone; seems like a fine enough mechanic to me.

So ultimately; I've got to agree with Koncept on this one.

No damaging with AOE spells in houses, no releasing pets in towns, no AOE spells/non consensual damage in town, no 'heat of battle' recall message.... BEFORE YOU KNOW IT WE'RE IN FUCKING TRAM.
    Liberation and Halabinder like this.
  2. Canis

Canis Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

For what it's worth, my original submission was not due to town killing practices but to bring light to a mechanic that people with OSI Renaissance experience might expect but doesn't work here. In my case, I used the Firefield spell to map out guard zone edges, as the cast attempt would tell if the tile I'm standing on is within guard zone or not (useful in evaluating terrain for house placement). The messages from leaving town / entering are delayed and thus much less precise.

As for town killing; we've still got all the traditional means (melee, explosion pots, luring monsters) at our disposal. I recently got killed by a spider in town as I wasn't paying attention; serves me right. That being said, after El Horno's initial response I did test how casting blade spirit in town works here and was quite surprised to find that the guards did whack the caster and then watched the blade spirit continue wreaking its havoc on an innocent town citizen. So, if these spells are not disabled within guard zone as per historical record, it would at least make sense for the guards to whack the assaulting summon as well.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  3. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

You can simply use the [where command to map out town limits, as it tells you where you are located.

As for the summons I will take a look at that
  4. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

I don't know, I think this is the kind of change that serves no purpose and really just limits the options players have in the game. Sure, maybe you don't want to die in town, but as mentioned above, you can simply say "guards", stand near an NPC, or just don't leave a character unattended with valuables in a persistent online game. It takes you almost no effort to make killing you not worth the effort. There are completely legitimate reasons to cast field spells in town, even if it's considered a criminal action. For example, consider a situation where someone blocks a location in town with pets, for faction reasons, or just "to grief". If town becomes a magical invulnerability zone, then you can't really do anything except for expend countless red potions to get through. At that point you mine as well patch in the ability to simply walk through players without losing stamina. It seems like OSI had a special land where that was possible....
    Liberation and Mordechai like this.
  5. MikeK

MikeK Well-Known Member

For the good of the server population, yes please disable summons etc.

More pop is a win for everyone. Is it that important for you to town kill once in awhile for less players?
  6. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

Why not just implement trammel. That's exactly where this is headed. It's just doing it slowly and with baby steps.

Once this is done someone else will make a thread about how we should just get rid of being able to steal from players. I mean all it does is cause that other player grief....

Hell, why should we even be allowed to attack other people? I mean that's pretty unfair if the other person has no interest in fighting you or is a new player with no skills to even fight back.

You know what else would be nice? Blessed weapons. It's unfair that I lose my weapons when I die!

I think that's enough for now.
  7. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Hyperbole x9000

Encouraging or forcing non-consentual negative actions to take place outside of the guard zones, or very carefully within (stealing) is not a bad thing. We already have the Young program and I won't be upset or surprised if it gets opened up to the whole shard instead of just one little island. We're in the days of 7x practically overnight so don't fret too much on something that already exists (people you can't shit on because they're not ready yet).

You already have access to blessed weapons and have enjoyed them more than once.
  8. Turtle Chomper

Turtle Chomper Member

Why aren't the guards themselves enough? ... perhaps their mechanics need to be looked at (ie, making them wack summons) ... but besides that I don't understand why the good ol' fashion town guards aren't cutting it.
  9. Canis

Canis Well-Known Member

Thanks for your input! This does indeed completely solve the use case which led to the initial discovery mentioned in my first post.

My intention was also to point out that there may be broader uses for these mechanics than those which are immediately obvious. Personally I would favor era accuracy when there isn't an obvious case against it, just for familiarity with those migrating into "Renaissance". In this case both camps seem to have valid arguments, I'm sure staff will end up doing what's best for everyone.

They (Chris?) have demonstrated great judgement in running the server - my hat's off regardless of how this unfolds!
    Liberation likes this.
  10. napo

napo Well-Known Member

Town isn't supposed to be completely safe. For example, you can be robbed blind if you go afk in town.
    If you don't take steps to protect yourself, sometimes bad stuff happens. It's really easy to protect yourself in town, all you have to do is say "guards".

If you're going to afk in town, you might want to put your valuable shit in the bank. I don't like the philosophy of changing the game to protect people from their own lack of common sense. If town killing really is a widespread problem, the best fix I could see for it is have an NPC in Occlo that educates players on how the guards work and instructs them to put their valuables in the bank if they are going to spend time afk in a town.

Don't forget that mischief in town is something that also has the potential to be a boon to a new player, especially if he is resourceful. Getting a troublemaker guard whacked and taking his stuff is a great way to get some supplies early.
    Evilar likes this.
  11. Evilar

Evilar Member

Like that Idea.