Detect Hidden for the CY

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Red_Rover, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

What is the difference between recalling into a courtyard (for which others have runes) and recalling to the front steps of a 7x7? Isn't it just the number of people who can do it?

I completely agree that allowing 100% detect and banning in courtyards would increase castle safety. But, I think it would be marginal. You could ban people with courtyard runes, one at a time and slowly improve your safety, except that everyone has 2 more accounts they can use to still get there, plus all their friends. I don't understand how it would make castles immediately somehow impenetrable to looting and death.

The whole notion of a courtyard being "in" a house seems inaccurate to me, given that other players can recall into it just like the owner. It's outside the house, it's just a more difficult place to get to than outside other houses. Which is fine by me, given the price of it and the finite number of them that can exist on the shard.
  2. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Well, I always keep 3 clients on at all times. This helps me get the most out of the "vet" rewards.

The server goes down once every 3 weeks to a month, whenever a new patch is coming in, so I have a client (or 3) in my house at least 95% (more like 100%) of the time. Any time.

This means, that if at least one of them is running a DH/ban-bot, my keep/castle is 100% secure regardless of the amount of runes out there. I could go hunting with my CY runes, and nothing would happen. Ever. I wouldn't care. Items don't decay in there, so, for me it's just as being able to recall to the center tile of a 7x7. Which would be awesome for me, but would detract of a Felucca only server.
  3. Red_Rover

Red_Rover Member

OSI had housing wrong then and we should "perfect" it here.

So, I think to be fair across all house owners, there should be certain parts of villas, fortresses, castles, patios, smalls, etc that you cannot ban a person from. The spot wold be relative to the size of the building, so a fortress would have more tiles you cannot ban from than a small would.

I mean....we wouldn't want TRAMMEL to creep up on us and allow a small piece of the UO world to be safe for your characters! No character should EVER be able to be safe when they play UO.
  4. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Except the Courtyard is OUTSIDE your house! You have a DOOR there that you can lock to keep you safe! Same DOOR you have to open to access a 7x7.
  5. Red_Rover

Red_Rover Member

What part of a villa's footprint can you not ban from?

What part of a fortress' footprint can you not ban from?

Are the proportions equal?
  6. Dalavar

That's a good point; as usual, I forgot that we're playing Razor Online.

Side note: don't "secure" castle owners have that very scenario today? How do you feel about that?

Now I feel slightly more strongly about this solution :) Seems it would prevent the ban-bot situation you describe above, while moving the courtyard closer to a true part of the house zone.
  7. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

None

None, considering the CY is "outside" since you can recall into it.

Yes

Using that same logic:

What part of a villa's footprint can I recall/gate into?

What part of a fortress' footprint can I recall/gate into?

Are the proportions equal?
  8. Red_Rover

Red_Rover Member

You are wrong about the fortress' FOOTPRINT, which is...the outside edges. There are places that you cannot ban from in the fortress' FOOTPRINT.

As for recalling/gating, you can't in a villa...I guess that should be fixed also.
  9. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

So you want the cake and be able to eat it too!! You want the benefit of the CY being outside and being able to recall/gate into your house, AND the benefit of it being inside and being able to ban and have 100% safety. You want whipped cream on that, too? Cherry on top?

I think you're being incredibly discriminating and near sighted. Leave and come back in a year's time, when we're rocking 2k+ clients online at any given time, and all the land is covered in houses, and keeps cost 15 castle deeds because of the demand for their Tramell CYs. You might have the 15 castles in your bank, but what about the new player who wants to start out? Why shouldn't he be able to recall into his patio? Do you think that watching you, Mr. Rich Guy recalling safely into your CY, and knowing he'd have little to no chance of ever being able to do that would discourage him? Would he want to continue playing here?
  10. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

I would agree to being able to ban people in the CY IF they remove the ability to recall into and gate into/out-of the CY.
  11. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Not only castle owners have this, but EVERYONE! Right now a ban-bot keeps any house safe. THAT's and even playing field!

This is a GREAT solution. I had voted for full DH and still no-decay, but this is even fairer for non-castle owners.
  12. Red_Rover

Red_Rover Member

I must have misspoke.

I'm saying to allow people to recall/gate into their villas, smalls, whatever.

Like I said....no one should EVER EVER be safe in this game, you should ALWAYS be at risk 100% of the time.
  13. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

I guess I got:
    [​IMG]
  14. Red_Rover

Red_Rover Member

After reading it, my last post was not clear. I meant to say allow people to recall into their house, but then i MEANT to say that I can see your point. We don't want a Trammel land here.

In fact....the CURRENT housing way is too Trammel-like. Houses should not be a safe area for people. You should be able to be killed 100% of the time, where ever you are in the UO world.

The only "safe" place should be when you are logged out of the game.

So Pirul...I'm with you on not making this land a Trammie land...and...we need to fix, or perfect, the trammelization that it currently has.

Sorry for not making myself clear.
  15. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

I hope you are joking, that is bonkers. If you feel that way, just leave your door unlocked and live hardcore mode.
  16. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Thought I would drop in to add some clarification.

Courtyards of houses are part of the house region, however they are not part of the house.

So the viability of detect hidden addressing the courtyard as well is viable for a Felucca based server, however being able to ban someone from your courtyard would be very close to a trammel addition.

We intentionally disabled item decay in courtyards to allow players to use blocking items to secure their courtyard should they lose a rune or find someone gaining access.

Moving forward we do have plans for courtyard moats, purchasable for platinum, that will provide a mechanical solution to securing your courtyard. Players will be able to raise/lower the drawbridge allowing recalling to be toggled in their courtyard. We are exploring options for castles/large keeps as well.

These additions would block recalling for everyone to a courtyard, possibly toggle-able via a switch.
  17. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Glad cooler heads prevail!
  18. Dalavar

I don't really see the difference here. Can't I just keep a character in my castle to raise/lower the drawbridge when I need to recall in? Why would I even need to ban people from my courtyard if they can't get there in the first place? I mean you'd literally have to (a) have a rune, and (b) nail the timing perfectly by having a ghost or something parked near the castle to see when the drawbridge goes down.

And even *then*, you're limited to recalling/gating into the courtyard when you know the owner is actively playing and right there!

I like the aesthetics of this idea, but in practice it seems awfully "Trammel".
  19. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Works exactly like red boxes....just not as ugly.
  20. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Like Pirul Said Dalavar. The same can currently be accomplished here under the existing mechanics.

However to avoid the "trammel" aspect you would have to remove transport access to the courtyard for all. Basically it would allow people to "turn off" their courtyards if they so choose. The toggle function is under review however. This is something that OSI did down the road (that I was not terribly fond of) by removing all players ability to teleport into house courtyards.

Players want to secure their courtyards, and a platinum based solution would fit in this situation.