Disarm Thief

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Malus Blackstaff, Oct 28, 2014.

1. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
    Cheapsuit and Black Tortoise like this.
  2. Cheapsuit

Cheapsuit Well-Known Member

Well if we are concentrating more on "perfecting" history, and not era accuracy, then we need to first perfect pvp, osi got it wrong from the beginning, making dexxers gimps and whatnot. No better place to start than that right there.
  3. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

Are you kidding? UOR+ is known for dexers being overpowered. T2A was tank mage time (dexers were pretty okay here too), and all before that it was hex bows. Dexer never really had a "gimp" period. Did we play the same osi game?

(no idea what happened after AOS though)
    The Crooked Warden likes this.
  4. Cheapsuit

I'm not even sure we're on the same planet, from where I'm standing, here and now, dexxers are surely not overpowered. Did I miss an inside joke?
    One likes this.
  5. The Crooked Warden

The Crooked Warden Well-Known Member

I believe Snap is referring to the Renassaince age of OSI servers, not this UOR we are playing.
    Cheapsuit likes this.
  6. Cheapsuit

My mistake then, I think when I saw UOR my mind automatically thought of here. Gimp was not the best word to use, I should have used inferior instead.
  7. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

The the disarm thief template is mostly used in monster invasions (i.e. the halloween events in the real world that happen every year). In that one, everyone is using a silver weapon and there are enough annoying baddies that a thief can pop out of hiding, grab the weapon, and quickly invis while their now un-armed mark is getting beat on by a super-zombie because they don't have wrestling.

Just my .02, but I think it's fun - it forces you to escape in a treacherous territory. It can be profitable, in best cases towards what you might make farming elder gazers on an hourly basis, but mostly it's just something fun and different to do.
    Seba and The Crooked Warden like this.
  8. Seba

Seba Well-Known Member

@Telamon - Are there any plans to tweak some of the recent town killing patches so that disarm thieves can wrestle/disarm players in guard zones?

I have a potential solution to the problem where town killing would still be prevented, but a disarm thief build wouldn't be hindered as much due to these recent patches

Maybe the code could follow this type of logic:

If aggressive player X has 80 or more skill points in the following:

• Stealing
    • Arms Lore
    • Wrestling

.. then player X is allowed to wrestle / disarm players within guard zone that are at or above 90% health. The disarm thief would still have to be mindful of the line of sight of nearby guards and/or NPCs.

These figures are just an example, but it's to show some proof on your side that the player doing an aggressive action is a disarm thief / is not attempting to kill in towns.

Thanks for listening
    The Crooked Warden and One like this.
  9. Gollum

Gollum Member

I second Seba's suggestions. My first character I made here was a disarm thief (my all-time favorite spec). Was super excited to hit 7x GM only to then realize there's instant guardwhack enabled...
  10. Cheapsuit

Disarm thieves shouldn't be able to attack blues in town, is this what some are suggesting? If you want their weapon, then do something to make them attack you.
  11. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

You have to consider that it always was possible. Always. On OSI, on other Shards, on Felucca in general. It has been nerfed on UOR, so that it's not really feasible. To be honest, it is much easier to simply kill that afk player with 3 accounts (3x poison or 3x ebolts etc).
  12. Cheapsuit

I never knew this.
  13. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

As long as the guards/NPCs were out of reach. But how is it now on UOR? What's the NPC sight range now? People are telling, it has become so large that you can't effectively attack anyone in city boundaries anymore (no disarming either). Is that true? Does anybody know the auto-guardwhack range for NPCs since the latest increase in security?
  14. The Crooked Warden

The Crooked Warden Well-Known Member

Seems to be any NPC located on the same screen will auto call guards regardless of walls/LOS for any aggressive actions (attacking NOT stealing)
    One likes this.
  15. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

24 tiles
  16. Phrosty

Phrosty New Member

wow that explains why i got guard wacked outside of town.
  17. Cheapsuit

You guys have the "thug" character all wrong....

1. You absolutely don't need snooping.
    2. You're not a conventional thief, so snooping, hiding, and stealth are not needed.
    3. You DO NOT want to initiate the attack on this char unless you're in factions or the target id grey or red.

The purpose of the thug character is to have the ability to take the weapon from the person you're fighting, and maybe even use it to kill him.
    This is the perfect thug character template.....

fencing 100
    tactics 100
    anatomy 100
    healing 100
    stealing 100
    armslore 100
    wrestling 100

While fighting, be it factions or for whatever reason you're fighting, you take your opponents weapon during the fight, and it it's a weapon that you have the skill for, then go ahead and add insult to injury by beating his brains in with his own weapon.
    Murdoc82 likes this.
  18. SneakyT

SneakyT Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

I know I'm super late to the party here on this thread, but I was just reading through to see what everyone else thought about this template. Bart is 100% right. I ran a disarm thief in factions. I actually went snooping 50, eval 50, Armslore, magery, Med, Resist, Stealing, Wrestle. Playing in factions my goal as a thief wasn't really to do much more than steal weapons and cross heal. I could also assist with a little spell damage (when needed).

There could be other ways to snoop a pack with lower snooping, but the way I found that fit me was use once agent. I could set my main targets pack to my use once agent. However I'd have your pack on my agent 200 times. I promise 50 snooping is plenty ;) .
  19. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

If you don't care about the "You notice blah peeking.." message you can get away with 30-40. I did 40 snoop and if you DONT use razor as your last object hotkey, there is basically no item use delay between snoop attempts, you can run by someone and snoop them with 20 attempts without stopping if you spam the key, one of those is bound to be successful (but warn them in sysmessage).

Try it out. Set last object to razor and start with 0 snoop, then set last object to uo client and start with 0 snoop. Macro both characters, the one with UO client macro set with you holding down the button will gain MUCH MUCH MUCH faster.
  20. SneakyT

SneakyT Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

Since we are laying out all the tricks... snap dragons method works great especially when you make sure your keyboard key spam is maxed out in windows. Rapid fire in UO :)