DPS Challenge

Discussion in 'Photography & Videography' started by Keza, May 17, 2015.

1. Liberation

Liberation Well-Known Member

i still wonder if two dragons and a mare doesn't result in higher "damage done" to something like a champ or the harrower or an event boss or even persistent spawn that does not have breaks.

obviously four mares will have a higher damage attribution to magery.. but once they're out of mana i think their advantages might be nearly gone or even get overtaken.

another drawback is that in situations like last night's harrower, there are only like eight tiles that get to do melee damage. you're banking on getting four of those tiles for yourself.
    MikeK likes this.
  2. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I've tested the following things:

- 2 dragons, 1 mare
    - 2 white wyrms, 1 mare
    - 4 nightmares
    - 8 hell hounds

All have been very carefully picked among their peers, all trained to at least 3xGM in melee skills. And rest assured, data was kept (even if I can't find it at the moment).

There are very few situations in which the 8 hell hounds (very similar in DPS to frenzies) were the *best* choice. It really only works best when:
    - you will be at a spawn for a long time
    - the spawn does not poison (via melee or claws)
    - the spawn does not hit too hard so as to pose a death threat to your hounds
    - you don't have to move much

A good example of this would be those Dark Elf Rangers, or Cyclopean Warriors (but not Titans).

For boss hunting, dragons and their unmitigated firebreath is best.

Even for something like Elder Gazers, which spawn a boss rarely, I found dragons to be most efficient, because white wyrms take forever to kill them. And gating out to stable wyrms and grab dragons is annoying and time consuming.

In terms of actual prolonged farming:
    For bosses: 2 dragons, 1 mare
    For boss generators: 2 dragons, 1 mare
    For high-end, non-boss generators: 2 wyrms, 1 mare (or 4 mares)
    For fun and being different: pack of frenzies or hounds or cats
    The Musician likes this.
  3. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Mares > drags/wyrms. Unless you are in an area that swarms. I have 4x mid 80 magery/90 resist mares that put in work! The only thing dragons have going is tankiness, mares attack way faster.
  4. Dalavar

Nightmares and dragons have the same dexterity.
  5. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

4 is greater than 3, that is just biology and you can't deny that.
  6. MikeK

MikeK Well-Known Member

Agree with liberation. I think mares are honestly situational and overrated. They are great for burst dps, but sustaining it is an issue.
  7. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Awesome results so far guys! No one is going to test an axer or other dexer on this? Im sure someone can beat my fencers 7.5dps lol.
  8. Cero

Cero Well-Known Member

Would love to try, but don't have an Axe worthy of this!....and a group of healers to keep me alive :)
  9. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Keza Frost___19.69 dps
    85/100/40
    +20 scimitar of power
    no magic
    5 Frost Spiders (all trained) + mount
    no summons
    GM Swords, 80 Tactics, GM Anatomy, GM Animal Lore, GM Veterinary, 90 Healing, 55 Magery, 75 Taming

Was hoping for more DPS with the 145 Dex on these guys but its all good and fun!

Keza Frost2.jpg
    Senzek and Jupiter like this.
  10. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Hello all, I had WAY too much fun doing this test on my axer lol. I did find that a dexxer with an "okay" slayer can do about half the DPS of the 2 dragons & mare build. Take that all you OP tamers!

Keza Axer___13.5 dps
    100/100/25
    +5 two handed axe of might and dragon slaying (did all the fighting with 85 tactics)
    no magic
    1 forest ostard (trained ossytank)
    no summons
    GM Swords, 80 Tactics, GM Lumberjacking, GM Anatomy, GM Animal Lore, GM Veterinary, 90 Healing, 30 Magery

11. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Was about to go into an outrageous rant then I saw your tactics skill.
  12. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

@wylwrk yes I normally run my axer with a +20 - +25 weapon. All tactics at 100+ are the same so its a good place to pull some skill from.
  13. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Hi all, tested a few different tames this time. Had a lot of fun with it and learned a good deal in the process!

Keza Fire____Grizzly Bears_14.4 dps____Lava Lizards_10.14 dps____Large Hell Cats_24.75 dps
    100/41/84 (used bless often for 51 dex and 4 second vet heals)
    Spellbook
    Ebolt, bless, curse, Gheal, cure
    5 Grizzly Bears (all trained) + mount__5 Lava Lizards (all trained) + mount__5 Large Hell Cats (all trained) + mount
    no summons
    97 Magery, GM Meditation, 93 Taming, GM Animal Lore, GM Veterinary, 97 Cartography, 95 Lockpicking, loose points in EvalInt

RavenMagi likes this.
  14. Dalavar

Very surprised you saw such a difference between grizzlies and hellcats. Stats are very similar...

avg base damage 10.5 versus 11
    avg strength 141 versus 173
    avg dex 100 (trained) versus 105

Hellcats have an edge in each category but not by much. Perhaps when subtracting out the armor of the dragons, that is what widens the gap significantly.

What is your DPS for frenzieds? I expect them to have the highest of all the 5-pet packs.
    Keza likes this.
  15. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

@Dalavar there are a few reasons why the Hellcats out dps the Grizzlies so much:

1. You based damage, str, and dex on averages. I only keep tames that are within 5-10 points of perfect overall stats. This means most of my hellcats are near 185str/115dex. And most of my Grizzlies were near the max of 155str/105dex.

2. The base damage on a grizzly is 8-13, that = 16-26 with pack instinct. The hellcats are at a base of 5-17, which is 10-34 with pack.

3. 5 Hellcats means a free 50 damage burst at the start of each fight from firebreath.

As for the my Frenzied ostard pack, it was posted at the start of this thread, 31.70 dps. Their base damage of 11-17 become an outrageous 22-34 as a pack! With that and the fact that they are rideable/colorful, still my favorite tames :D
  16. Dalavar

Good stuff! Yeah I usually assume all these guys are near top-end, it doesn't change too much when comparing between different animals unless they have wide ranges.

I'm not sure #2 means anything... 16-26 averages 21 damage and 10-34 averages 22 damage (<5% difference).

With the firebreath, it always seemed to me that the animation for it took the pets out of melee combat for a little bit of time, which made me think it was usually a bad tradeoff (unless fighting a UOR-specific enemy that had reduced pet damage).
  17. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Bump for newer players wondering what PvM builds are best for DPS!
    Iago likes this.
  18. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Keza Proto___21.1 dps
    100/100/25
    +15 Cutlass of dragon slaying
    no magic
    4 Imps (mostly trained)
    no summons
    GM Swords, GM Tactics, GM Anatomy, GM Animal Lore, ~90 Veterinary, ~75 Healing, 30 Magery, ~90 Taming
    Dragon DPS chart KezaProto.jpg

Keza___20.3 dps
    100/100/25
    +15 War Hammer of Vanquishing
    no magic
    4 Drakes (all trained)
    no summons
    GM Macing, 90 Tactics, GM Anatomy, GM Animal Lore, GM Veterinary, 90 Healing, 30 Magery, 90 Taming
    Dragon DPS chartKezaDrakes.jpg

Keza___38.5 dps
    100/100/25
    +15 War Hammer of Vanquishing
    no magic
    8 frenzied ostards (all trained)
    no summons
    GM Macing, 90 Tactics, GM Anatomy, GM Animal Lore, GM Veterinary, 90 Healing, 30 Magery, 90 Taming
    Dragon DPS chart KezaOssy.jpg
    Caska VS Trees and Dalavar like this.
  19. Dalavar

Did you let the Imps get back up to full mana after each dragon fight? I always thought that was the biggest issue with using them as pets. I saw a noticeable difference in killing times with my dragons when they got below 40 mana, so I tried to time bank runs at that time when I could.
  20. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

No, imps damage was up and down because I farmed normal with them, ranged from 30 - 46 seconds. Just assumed they were always running out of mana.