Dungeon chests and the future of what they should hold!

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Intoxable, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Use your fist, to punch yourself in the face.
  2. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Now that the original topic has changed, thus fucking this whole thread up, there has been mention of Level 5 dungeon chests and perhaps in their creation or addition we can get them to open portals to a private dungeon where you can hunt special mobs for rare chances to get more special bullshit like a fist that punches you in the face constantly.
  3. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

Stop claiming that slayers are expensive. You can get them for "an apple and an egg" (a german saying). The proof? Check the latest auctions...

High-end vanq superslayers of a very good weapon type are naturally excluded, because all the fat vets want them for their fancy lvl7 maps. But everybody is able to afford might and force slayers. Claiming anything else is wrong.
    Christoph Brock likes this.
  4. Intoxable

Intoxable Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I WANT MORE VALUE IN DUNGEON CHESTS!
    One likes this.
  5. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

the risk vs reward seems fine to me and were recently patched to a slighly higher loot table

however i will always support means that takes value out of instanced content and puts it back into felucca... just not so much into d chests being the place.
  6. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  7. BlackEye

I really can't understand what you are talking about. Yew Vendors (especially Gideons, but also others between bank and Yew Gate) are fully stocked with slayers up to force mods. The Ocllo Shop at Deacons Small House right beside the gate is/was also fully stocked recently. And they are all very cheap.

Additionally I have found these auctions in the last two trade forum pages:
    http://uorforum.com/threads/s-20-silver-viking-sword-of-power.18706/ --> Power high-end silver weapon for 80k.
    http://uorforum.com/threads/20-massive-broadsword-of-vanq-daemon-dismissal.18678/ --> Vanq slayer for 60k.
    http://uorforum.com/threads/silver-weapons-more-slayers-updated.18697/#post-171406 --> Many top end silver weapons for max. 60k.
    http://uorforum.com/threads/wts-arc...-shatter-exorcism-and-more.18705/#post-171011 --> Huge archery slayer package for just 170k so far!
    http://uorforum.com/threads/wts-entry-level-repond-slayers.18536/#post-169455 --> Repond slayers for below 25k. For example, anybody that uses slayers, knows that a repond katana without damage mods SHREDS through evil mage lords in no time.

And now here is the secret super-value hint: Anybody that is searching for slayers, just have to PM the right people (e.g. ME!) or post a request WTB in the forum. I am sitting on hundreds of slayers (naturally not that much high-end ones), either because I bought them in time or farmed them.

The only shortage I can see is in high-end super-slayers collectors-type instance-used slayers. And I really don't get it, why the market for slayers should be destroyed in order to get more of these for vets that don't want to pay as much as other players (because these are also auctioned, but for top prices).
  8. One

One Well-Known Member

9. BlackEye

I can absolutely understand that. Although one has to consider that the amount of lvl4 chests is very limited. As soon as two people start picking them, the profits (the max profit per hour I talked about, ~40k gold + wands) drop significantly, because they don't respawn fast enough.

Another way to have your income per hour drop is to add slayers. Clicking each of these weapons takes forever, and even if you limit your clicking to the best weapon types, that still means sorting out alot items. The fastest way to earn cash right now, is loot everything with restock agents and sell everything except reagents to NPCs without any sorting.

So, why are people doing the dungeon chests?
    1) GMing lockpicking.
    2) Earning safe 40k per hour.
    3) Getting a huge amount of wands.

Do you really think, that incentive is too low for people? I always tried to educate people with lockpicking in dungeons and described my way of doing them. Somehow people didn't jump on the train, although pvp wands are fetching very good prices and it's very safe from PKs (you just hop your gate in stealth mode).

So what could be improved (even though I think the benefit is huge already):

1) Add a counter/achievement for lockpicking dungeon chests. Similar to the treasure chests. That's a symbolic gesture, but increases peoples motivation.
    2) Add an item, that can be looted specifically without clicking on a ton of items. Maybe platinum. Maybe treasure chest maps. Maybe very rare AMIBs. Maybe something that the shard is missing in supply: Garg shovels or fishing nets?
    3) The definitely coolest solution: Add an Endgame solution for true dungeon crawlers. For example map/puzzle pieces that have to be obtained from ALL types of dungeon chests (lvl1 to lvl4) or a puzzle piece for each dungeon. Once you obtain all pieces of the puzzle, let people be able to complete an artifact (similar to the Zookeeper Quest or the Harrower Summoning). Now, what could that artefact do? The obvious way that has been gone pretty often is opening an instance... for dungeon crawlers in this case. Maybe a instance that isn't at all about traditional fighting, with invincible creatures. Perhaps where you have to stealth through them and activate levers and traps in order to kill them?
    Or let's skip the instance and think about something else? But what? Maybe the artifact itself is valuable, for example increases your lockpicking by +10 or something. Or provides a currency for cool functions like extracting the color of hued items? Or simply new deco items that fit dungeon crawlers. You know, decoration that so far can only be seen in dungeons. Or add new houses to the shard, as proposed in the 'I want new house types' threads, that have to be paid with treasure hunter artifacts. I don't know, you can do alot things when you start using your imagination.
    Dorian Andrael and One like this.
  10. One

One Well-Known Member

11. Intoxable

I still feel the rewards are to low.

Allowing you a small chance to get plat in dungeon chests and or the new treasure maps and or something else unique would be fabulous, even at a 1% or less chance of getting new maps or silver vanqs would still keep enough people from not doing them back to back, also i dont know where you're getting 40k for dungeon chests You get maybe a wand or two a few pieces of armor and 5-6 scrolls and all of it is crap, the best ive pulled is a power club in probably 200 chests hoping. It's definitely a lot longer then an hour to gauge any real gold value, its also slow as crap, you have to wait for respawns and ward off any other competition, although with how crappy it is, its super low.

That's a concern right there, if their always available then they're not valuable enough atm. At least not from my experience, other servers they were big time.
    One likes this.
  12. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

lol artifacts. Fuck this thread.
    It'sallALark and wylwrk like this.
  13. It'sallALark

It'sallALark Well-Known Member

I think random thunting named rares (just rehue some crap like lockpicks and stick a special name on them) would be better than artifacts. Less sell/trash items, plat chance, and item quality boost would be nice.

If the ability to get a special item and plat were dependent on having gm remove trap, even better.

There are tons and tons and tons of chests in towns and the dungeons, that's a prime place to look for a mini expansion using existing things in the game. I'd like to see the special rewards need RT and possibly stealing/stealth for sure though, that'd give stealing a pve fleshing out as well.

Plus the ability to get plat and to get rogue deco items would be super nice.
  14. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

From the patch notes it looks like this was a weapon and armor change, but no change to the stackables (gold, reagents, gems, etc.) Is that correct?

I don't see how a change to the weapons would have raised the true gold/hour rate all the way to 40k. The chests respawn on such a long timer, and there's so few of the level 4's, etc.

For what it's worth, I'd suggest more gold/gems/reagents in the chests as well, and maybe speed up the respawn time a bit too. Almost no one does this activity of dungeon picking, both because it's not terribly efficient at generating gold, and because the world can only support a couple of people doing it.
  15. BlackEye

What's the issue here? Why don't you believe in the 40k gold per hour that I stated? I don't invent these numbers, I have gotten that cash inflow 2 years ago already.

Just an example of dungeon crawling stats from my logs:

---
    Dungeon Crawling mainly lvl4 chests:
    #1 38.1k GP, 468 regs, 61 greater pots, 570 bolts/arrows, 74 blank scroll, 5 masks, 33 wands - 44.4k value (without wands and masks!)
    ---

Any vet here should be able to improve their methods and easily reach 40k per hour.
  16. Dalavar

I kept track of gold from 22 chests, mostly level 4's, that I used to hit up. They averaged 242 gold each. That's 5,324 gold, assuming on a run they were all there and not emptied by a second person on the shard who happened to be training lockpicking or dungeon picking for "profit" at that time.

They refreshed every 20 to 30 minutes I think, so best case you're looking at around 16k in gold per hour, hitting those chests. There's a lot of down time, so you could mix in more level 3 chests, but their gold is far lower. And of course there are some distractions all over the place. My list didn't include the chest in the Shadow Wyrm lair of Destard level 2 because that was just not worth it.

Really I'm just shocked at that amount of gold. But even if that's feasible, and someone decides they'd prefer to make 50k an hour picking chests as opposed to 100k an hour telling their dragons to kill stuff, the world can still only support one person making that choice at a time. If you want to kill elder gazers for a living, there's 2 or 3 places to do it, blood elementals 2 places, balrons 2 places, etc. Literally dozens of people can all be farming monsters at the same time, but only one person can be dungeon picking at a time. And this is an issue not just for earning gold but even worse for training the lockpicking skill since you are forced to only hit up level 4 chests.
  17. BlackEye

Here you are right, the amount of lvl4 chests can only sustain 1-2 lockpickers. With two they might interfere already, and you would have to add lvl3 chests. Usually I can loot 2/3 of the available lvl4 chests before the first chests respawn. 30 minute for the respawn is way too long for some of them. Some are much faster. I never tried to figure out their exact respawn rates or the rule behind it, but some like the Deceit Lich Lord chest are really slow while others like the Destard Dragon steps or the one at WWs are respawning fast. Add a bunch of low/no monster guarded lvl3 chests and you can loop your looting. Maximize the gold income by switching NPCs after some runs, as their prices drop over time.

The toon I use for dungeon crawling is RelicHunter. I am adding Remove Traps and dropping unused skills right now. But in principle any toon with lockpicking, magery, hide and stealth is sufficient.

Oh, and skip empty scrolls, clothes and bone items when looting. Anything that isn't worth their weight. Pots are a waste too probably, but I never took them out of the loot table.

EDIT: Oh and btw, I assume you can get more than 40k gold. I never optimized the spots of my marked runes and have to stealth over to static chests, which is a waste of 10-20 seconds each time.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  18. Dalavar

This still isn't adding up for me. I remember being able to get through all of the level 4's (though I guess I did skip a few like Destard) and I was horribly inefficient at it (I would be stealthed the whole time, would remove traps, etc.) and I still had to wait in between runs. Although I guess I was waiting until *all* chests respawned.

Are you seeing what saw in terms of 240 gold per level 4 chest?
  19. It'sallALark

It'sallALark Well-Known Member

you guys are forgetting the old chests on prodo had invis, reflect, and tele items to boost the profits from chest picking too
  20. Intoxable

^ I miss that Itsallalark, so because of this, they should give us more rare items or weapon chances.