Enable non-English characters?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Jakob, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Pekka

Pekka Well-Known Member

Japp, 25-öringen trillade sakta men säkert ner igår :)
  2. $igma

$igma Member

I second this. As a portuguese speaker, without ç, ô, é, or ó, you could ask to eat a baby when you want something to drink or to taste some feces when you actually want a coconut.
    One and Pekka like this.
  3. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

4. itslike

itslike Member

unicode pls. it will attract more international users who make UOR more active.
    Bloodlust and snap dragon like this.
  5. snap dragon

p l e a s e
  6. itslike

itslike Member

yes please
  7. Khar'Mash

Khar'Mash Member

I'm not really for it because I think it will lead to the formation of cliques.

But if it does, it can always be shut off again.
  8. snap dragon

Clique going to form either way. Without unicode you just have less players as some can't talk at all.
  9. Khar'Mash

Khar'Mash Member

You can join most cliques by joining their guild, though. Or by hanging out in IRC.

Not really the case when there's a language barrier in the way.

But like I said, it can always be shut off again.
  10. snap dragon

So you're saying with NO language allowed at you can join a group.

But allowing language to be typed you will no longer be able to join a group.

Doesn't make sense to me. The only "group" I ever seen form in UO was on IPY, Relpor, and some other shards with the [KOR] korean guild. They weren't a "clique" they just literally didn't speak any English. I don't see any reason anyone would be against unicode.
  11. Buga

Buga Well-Known Member

Looks like a good thing but I think it should be reviewed a bit, not just enable it and see what happens.

Pros: It would attract more ppl that don't speak english at all.

Cons: Will isolate ppl that today make an effort to speak english.

I'm spanish speaker, so I feel the lack of ñ, á, é, í, ó or ú but well I can live with it.

What if I see someone writing in korean? I don't understand a single word, so I'll pass to talk to them, I really doubt if I ask something they will answer in english, that part is what I feel that could tend to isolate "community".

I don't say NO, but as every change needs a review... I'm sure that Chris disabled it for some reason, let's wait his reply.
  12. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

We must ban alien letters to keep the foreigners off our communities. Otherwise they'll just pour in over our borders!
    #We'reGonnaBuildA(Languaqe)Wall
  13. ham

ham Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber
    UO:R Donor

If you enable unicode can people have foreign character names too? Like could I make my name "火腿".
  14. Khar'Mash

Khar'Mash Member

Up to server owner I believe. Naming rules don't have to follow the same rules as typing rules. A good example is that naming by default has a filter that that disallows more than just the default profanity filter. (the name British or Lord British were unacceptable names on OSI, for example, despite not being censored.)
  15. itslike

itslike Member

When there are 10 Spanish who don't speak English, they can form a guild and play together, same goes for Japanese, Korean, Thai etc. Speaking same language does not mean that we all are in the same clliques.
    Seeing others speaking languages that you don't understand in uo makes you frown upon?
    Sure I don't understand Orc language and annoyed as hell whenever I meet an Orc player because I can not communicate with them.,,,,,,,,,,same goes for any murderers in this uo world.
    UO was popular in Japan and Korea too and there are still players in those countries,. what I see is that they are playing other shards simply because they can "communicate" with their language in uo.
    It is up to the shard owner anyway.
  16. itslike

itslike Member

no you can only make English name character, only chat is unicode in the higher version of uo client.