Explosion Potions

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Tater Salad, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

The first time I got PK'd here it was by a feller tossin' x-pots at me both of us full speed, he killed me w/only pots lol, we never stopped running.
  2. Bankshot

Bankshot Member

I think adding mount fatigue would fix the problems with constant running away and then people would not be forced to rely on using exp pots as a crutch to get the killing blow.
  3. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

More like people don't want to deal with dying to an ultra-unstoppable combo that you can deploy with %100 effective results any time you start attacking.
    I guess I haven't, but I would think that the larger the scale, the less need for conservation considering you have the strength of numbers. You can regen your mana when the fight is carried by your teammates, and vice versa.
    Nothing else can damage on the run, without stopping at all. The answer is mount fatigue, not %100 accurate purple potions.
    It's not surviving the 3 man gank that poses an issue, it's the excessive use of such items in 1v1s or in general, to unleash combo that would otherwise not be possible without said items giving you that advantage/ability.
    Admittedly I am not 'skilled' in uo pvp, but I have no problem controlling purple potions. I use them, pause and target as desired. Perhaps if you weren't trying to stack half a dozen other functions in the 3s window you have to throw that potion, they wouldn't blow up in your face? Admittedly, even if it ever worked on OSI, it makes literally no sense at all that you would be able to prime a purple, cast two spells and then toss the purple. Maybe I'm just crazy in thinking that once you cancel a targetting reticle with the Escape key, then you are screwed and it will blow up in your face. Just seems logical to me. Pull the pin on a grenade, then carry out other things before you eventually toss the grenade?
    By breaking the automated functions many people are used to exploiting to their advantage in combat, the playing field gets closer to leveled amongst the templates. There is so much variety in combat mechanics here there should be no need for any epic item/function to be essential accross the board. Magery is prevalent enough as it is. Then again, people using EUO to script half of their gaming experience might have trouble staying on the level if they actually have to DO things in the game, even remotely close to the way it was designed.
    Because none of those things are beyond what most would consider normal function in the game. Perhaps I'm alone when I just recently learned that you can cancel targetting and bake a cake, then re-activate a purple potion and target it with %100 accuracy. Regardless, I think it's completely silly and as much as you, we are both entitled to our wrong opionion.

I'd like to request a refund. This record is obviously broken.
  4. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

First of all, purple potion spamming still works fine. I ran down Loud Ninja with them last night using a razor macro and I never missed one or had any blow up on me. It's really lame but it works great.

Secondly, this doesnt have anything at all to do with helping gank squads. If anything, in my opinion, purple pots being 100% accurate on the run hurts solo players who need to be able to outrun gank squads throwing purple pots because if they stop running too many precast spells will land on them.

Because of complaints like yours it still works fine from a razor macro, so dry those tears up sweetie. Im tired of hearing about all the nails in your coffin.
  5. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Did you really use a macro, or just the use-item under Hotkeys?
    I'm getting slightly better with the timing on them, but I just do a Use Item and toss it a blink after the 2 pops up.
  6. Neo

Neo New Member

Wands in shit are fine to try and defend against ganks the issue with them is to many people use them as a crutch for 1v1. Ya ya field i know ive heard it all before we could also cry that theres no MR gear and shit and how thats needed for field because tbh the whole reason i quit playin SA is because the majority of the people on there suck and depend on using that shit even ina 1v1 fight. Do i carry gh wands and shit? Yes. Do i use them 1v1 no, getting ganked? oh hell yes. also at no point have i ever had an issue with throwing purples and i dont even use a macro just the simple razor item command i toss em old skool style. using a macro takes away from the challenge of actually knowing how to throw them. comparing that to a gathering macro really isnt fair since everyone can do that, it doesnt involve any timing its just simply repetitive. maybe im the odd ball out but if your fighting me 1v1 i dont go running for the hills if u get me low anyhow. hell half the time even when its 2v1 i wont bail i generally dont need to i actuallly know how to pvp and unless i drop the ball im not to concerned about someone killing me. and if someone does manage to kill me good for them its a game and im not gonna get all worked up about it. they were better then me in that fight, they got lucky, whatever the case may be they win i lose shit happens. But simply getting mad cuz you cant spam explode pots ona macro that takes no ability what so ever is stupid. Thats one of the many things that started killing gamers for me they put in alchy dmg bonus and everyone just ran around on alchy dexers and spammed unmissing pots if u tryed to put any distance at all between you and the other person. thats not skill thats just being cheap.
  7. napo

napo Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan of the playstyle that follows you with a vanq halberd while tossing purple pots until you're hurt enough to be finished by the precast EB.
    Not a big fan of the ability to deal damage reliably on the run either, especially since you can do it without using any mana at all. Magery is balanced by mana consumption and the fact that you have to stop to cast. Dex skills are balanced by short range and damage that is more or less predictable. Purple pots don't seem to have any of these restrictions. With purple pots, you pretty much kill people just by throwing money at them.

Also, we need to be realistic here. Purple pots are going to have to be nerfed somehow.
    I have a macro combo that does 80+ damage to an undebuffed target.
    Against a target that has debuffed strength or dex (for mindblast) it's an instant kill. Note that all this damage comes at the same time.
    They need either a damage nerf, or a nerf that makes purple pots a little harder to use and time reliably. Or I guess I can just run around killing people in one hit. I think that mes, fal, and myself are the only people who have the combo set up right.
  8. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

I use this macro Blaise

Your results may vary depending on your ping. But for me it hits them everytime on a full run or during spell combos.

edit: removed image: realized I was using a different macro, but don't really want to share it.
  9. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

So that's effective vs the person you're currently in combat with? I'm assuming you're using smart last target and Friends to avoid tagging guild/party mates?

(sorry, I'm bad at this)
  10. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

I cycle to that person's target and you can assume at that point that he's my last target
  11. napo

napo Well-Known Member

No need for smart target.
    As long as the person you want to hit is your last target, it tosses it at them.
    All the macro really does is activates the pot, cancels the target cursor immediately, and then once it's ready to explode it tosses it at the last target.
    You have to adjust the timing just a little bit to account for your ping, but once you have it right the pot explodes on your target without giving them any time to dodge.
  12. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Sweet, dexxer purp-spam, inbound.
  13. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

Warning: unconventional idea ahead!

If this is the case, then one possible solution to excessive use of purple pots is to decrease the success chance in producing them. Right now it costs about 6200gp to produce a keg of greater explosion (10 ash at 70% success chance + 500 for the keg). Would explosion pots costing 120gp each make any difference? How about 200gp?
  14. napo

napo Well-Known Member

That works.
    I believe the thing that kept people from tossing them all over the place back during the UO:R period on live was the prohibitive cost.
    Making them cost enough here that even rich players would think twice about throwing dozens at a time might be something that could work. This sort of fix would take some time to really kick in though, since the number of potions that currently exist would have to be depleted.
  15. Tater Salad

Tater Salad Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

16. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

I say we allow kegs of purple potions to be used as bombs! If you also had the ability to craft a keg you could equip a keg to a horse. If someone mounts the horse or goes near it, BWOOM!
  17. HereOh

HereOh New Member

never mind

after reading this I realized I won't be playing here. PP's, Wands.. that's for the birds. I actually played UO during the good days, don't want to sully good memories. Enjoy your item based, worse than tab targeting, very close to theme park, limited on sandbox, 2d, lack of population mmo guys.
  18. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

That escalated quickly. :geek:
  19. Tater Salad

Tater Salad Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers