Factions; Heat of Battle

Discussion in 'PvP Discussion' started by El Horno, May 1, 2015.

1. Isabel

Isabel Active Member

It could very easily be done this way - but all this would accomplish is effectively making said region a barren wasteland void of any pvp by people explicitly avoiding pvp there

It's not suppose to be easy - but its not all that hard either, especially with how explosion potions are gimped & wont hit a moving target (Lol, I wont even get started on this) so I don't think its really an impossible task to achieve

this is simply a matter of opinion & nothing more - what makes pvp fun to one may not at all create enjoyment for the next - you can't use opinions to make judgement calls bro
    Dalavar likes this.
  2. Liberation

Liberation Well-Known Member

so blue scouting makes pvp more fun for you?

maybe we need to patch your argumentative ass out of the game :p

thanks for the condescension, son.
  3. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I think this thread is becoming "Ways for the dream team to ensure people never get away"
  4. Isabel

Isabel Active Member

UO Rulebook Entry #4 - When you cannot win the argument or present any credible input, immediately divert to personal attacks & deflect any/all attention away from yourself.
  5. Liberation

Liberation Well-Known Member

...which you've done very adeptly.

the last meaningful thing you did in this thread was to argue that blue scouting makes pvp more fun. what more really needs to be said?
  6. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

lol, you can't evade 5 pre-cast ebolts when a gank comes to the blacksmith shop and there's only one exit.
    The whole 'can't Recall if being attacked' idea is as old as Double Vision and it was terrible then as well. There's no reason you should have heat of battle restrictions if you did not engage in battle, ever. You can pretend all day that they put crafting into Factions with the desire to make tailors and blacksmiths fight, but it's just not the case.

Let's not make something where folks run around holding down target orange/attack last, to indefinitely restrict travel on whomever they choose. For every act of aggression, the timer should be reset and that is all. Either have distance (moongate travel) immediately remove HoB for aggressors or find alternative means of transporting sigils, other than moongates.
  7. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

This whole faction tailor/blacksmith argument just isn't doing it for me.
    For starters, generally one faction will have control of all the towns. This leaves a faction tailor/blacksmith many locations to choose from when he goes to do his work. Then there is of course a variety of times throughout the day that the crafting could be done. Faction Crafting during prime time is probably not a great idea regardless of HoB.
    Next HoB restrictions do not go into effect until attacked, making sitting in the back corner of a blacksmith shop with only one exit a great place to be when a 5 pre-casted ebolt gank squad runs up. Just recall as they fumble into the building.
    Lastly, bring protection! Factions is a group thing. If you are a faction crafter and going to make weapons for the elite pvpers, have the elite pvpers provide you with protection as you hammer out their wears.

There is a distinction between a crafter and a faction crafter. Faction crafters signed up for war and as such can craft powerful blessed weapons. This comes with costs. Can't/Shouldn't have it both ways.

Are there more then 5-6 faction crafters on the entire server anyway? *shrug*
    Isabel likes this.
  8. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

The only reason I cite the crafters is because they are lowest on the totem pole and the most likely to be abused by it commonly. I will never get behind HoB for being attacked on any character and I daresay I don't think Telamon will either. It's just asking for some lame trap-mentality to get abused to high heaven.

What's so painful about seeing it re-instated for returned aggression? If someone chooses to fight instead of flee, they are in HoB. If not, they are fleeing without restriction, as any logic would dictate they should be able to.
  9. Isabel

Isabel Active Member

Not sure how the faction crafting/characters have any relevance to this, El Horno pretty much covered that part tho so we'll just skip passed that nonsense.

From what I've heard - & this is also likely the case I'm sure - Reinstating HoB as you describe puts us back in exactly the same circumstances as they were when it was initially removed the first time - a bunch of little whiners went & complained to Telamon that ppl were just using blues, or whatever, to run in & coax ppl into engaging them first, only to call in the cavalry the moment the target engaged & was under the effects of HoB

I don't really care either way - leave it off or reintroduce it - makes no difference to me, just funny how ppl complained about it then yet now that it's gone & been gone for a while, suddenly it wasn't such a bad idea, lol
  10. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Their relevance is that they are the most likely to be trapped and slaughtered by something as silly as a forced HoB when attacked (you know how easy that will be to manipulate for trapping players in many ridiculous ways.

There are a lot of flagging points that need to be considered and addressed and likely a full review of it would be necessary. Summons still make you flag when they aggro guildmates, which shouldn't be the case. Goading people into attacking you making them the aggressor should be easily answered with information, not removal of the penalty for initiating a fight. As I just said, there's nothing wrong with bringing that back but there's no reason to make a forced flag on someone you chose to attack.

Do you really think that if we get forced HoB flagging on Factioners that we won't see people literally only doing that on -6'ers with blessed runebooks spam-attacking oranges? lolol come on, you have to see how terrible that would be.
  11. napo

napo Well-Known Member

I'm in favor of era accuracy here.
    You should always have the option to run/recall out when faced with a bad fight.
    I think reds should also be included in HoB restrictions, they are pvp characters just as much as any factioner.

It's not broken, don't fix it. Era accuracy is fine for this.
    Punt likes this.
  12. Isabel

Isabel Active Member

era accuracy, as I stated before, would apply HoB to everyone, universally, blue farmers & aggressors/defenders alike. There would be no exceptions.

What your asking for is default RunUO HoB - basically how it was working here before it was disabled.
  13. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

There was never a time in UO where the attacked was flagged with heat of battle. At least not that I have ever experienced or read about in all my years.

Basically how it was working here before it was disabled for people making non-criminal attacks.
  14. napo

napo Well-Known Member

I don't see a problem with this.
    If Telamon wants to add in an exception for blues, that's fine. I don't really have a problem with that.

It should apply to reds and anyone who is orange to somebody, however.
  15. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Any Criminal or War/Faction Aggression should result in HoB, the end. If we add "Having a sigil" to the list of "acts of aggression" we'd solve the sigil flight problem, or as napo said, remove HoB on distance (gate travel breaks it, best idea yet for solving the sigil runner escapes).
  16. Klaus

Klaus Member

Lol wtf you talking about? Please list some names. As a member of this group, i'm now feeling left out cause I don't have the slightest clue what you're getting at :(
  17. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I don't know about factions, but I've had a lot of people attack me tonight to just recall away. That's lame
  18. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

So are criminals. I'm pretty much always going to be in favor of innocent players being able to freely recall away from an engagement with criminals. I know, a lot of sour criminals won't agree but they are the criminals, why would they ever be in favor of punishment or detriment for their actions.

Don't want people attacking you and running away freely.....don't be a criminal. It's as easy as not performing negative acts on people. lol
  19. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I was talking about them attacking me and recalling right out when I fight back. That's not right. I'm pretty sure that when someone attacks you they should have to wait out a recall or cast gate like I do, that's how heat of battle used to work.
  20. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I know exactly what you're talking about, and how it works. Heat of Battle was removed for innocents attacking criminals. You can 'flag' on a criminal (thief, murderer, etc) and leave at your leisure. That's the benefit to not being a criminal or taking criminal actions.
    Criminal aggression/negative acts on innocents will result in Heat of Battle flagging.

I know, you'll hate it and you think it's stupid but try to consider how much players feel like the utter lack of any justice for criminals makes it a fair mechanic.