Factions; Heat of Battle

Discussion in 'PvP Discussion' started by El Horno, May 1, 2015.

1. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I think it's dumb four people can attack me and if I manage to separate them they recall out. If you attack someone you should face the consequence of heat of battle, like I face the guardwhacks, ganks, pets, etc...
    El Horno likes this.
  2. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Yeah, too bad. Stop being a criminal and you won't have that problem.
  3. Jack of Shadows

Trammel is that way ->

It's funny how things have been patched to make it so easier for players of a trammel nature here (no stealing after trades/vendor buys, no house killing, etc) but it's designed to be the hardest grind for item drops I've ever seen.
  4. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  5. Jack of Shadows

I was under the impression that Felucca to me was Ultima Online from 97-2003ish, not your trammelized version of it.
  6. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  7. Jack of Shadows

I'm not raging, I want to play a fel server like we all used to love (and it was harsher and harder than this server ever will be and we still made out just fine) not a server that is really a trammel server with a hint of Fel thrown in, which is what we have pretty much been heading towards
    Mes likes this.
  8. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

What you used to love, seems a lot more like exploits of bad design than Felucca rules. Felucca implies the ability to negatively impact the gameplay of others through application of skill. If you have the skill (see BlackEye) you can still do amazingly well as a criminal in the world of UOR. Not being able to be a criminal with 0 risk, is not a problem for the shard. It's a problem for players who are accustomed to far too much reward for far too little risk.

Most things have been patched to make more sense here. Like criminals being subject to player justice with impunity for the player enacting the justice, not the criminal. Solution is simple if you don't want to have your attackers freely leave the engagement, don't be a criminal. If you have some grand idea for how to support player justice in place of this minor mechanic, I'd love to hear it. Unfortunately, I don't believe you ever have a mind for ways to bring criminals to justice.
  9. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Many players agree with you and want the in era heat of battle rules to return (ie you start a fight you better plan to finish it regardless of notoriety.)

If I were you I wouldn't bother bumping this thread. Maybe give your opinion politely to Telamon and be done with it. You aren't going to make any headway replying to Blaise or Gideon, I assure you that.
  10. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Considering the implementation of that change was Telamon's idea....gonna go out on a limb and guess that he won't be very interested in changing. He understands the lack of recourse for the innocent in this game the way it was and giving a little something to the good people of Britannia is just perfect.

As for Heat of Battle in mutual combat situations for pvp systems designed for consensual combat, I'm confident he'll take the time to adjust that accordingly at some point.
  11. smoke

smoke New Member

Im for if I'm grey or red and get attacked the attacker should NOT be able to recall or use moongate. Regardless of my color they chose to attack me and we all should own our actions/choices.
    Anything else is favoring one side over the other, and it takes all types (reds, blues, greys, and people like kane) to make a shard….
    Mes likes this.
  12. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Lack of justice ruins a shard faster than freedom to negatively impact people with impunity.

It's pretty obvious that any thief or murderer or grayflagging baiter, would be opposed to innocents not getting HoB for attacking them. That's half of their game. Speaking of owning your actions, you are a criminal by way of your actions and should own up to the risks therein (attackers not getting HoB for attempting to bring you to justice in a land where there are no cops).
  13. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
  14. smoke

smoke New Member

Its only fairness im looking for. Greys and reds allready pay for their color, blues that attack reds and greys should pay for their ticket to ride also.
  15. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

How do you pay for your color? By taking the items and lives of innocent players?

Please spell that one out for me because literally the ONLY form of justice served in UO historically has been statloss and even that's a fucking joke with 3x accounts and gold flowing like waterfalls.

How is it 'fair' that a thief can bag your high value item, hand it off immediately to a blue alt and laugh in your face?

How is it fair that three players can swarm a dungeon with tracking and pre-cast spells dumping on bards who have no way of returning the favor because reds don't just hang out at dungeon spawns waiting for bards to provoke dragon.....oh wait, bards can't provoke onto players.

Please, tell me again about fair?
  16. Liberation

Liberation Well-Known Member

the justice system (being blue, grey or red) exists.

the HoB system exists.

if you treat these two systems as one, it will cause them to become convoluted as more things change around them. OSI/EA were smart to ensure that the HoB system was unaffected by the Justice system in all eras.

that being said and from a roleplaying perspective, why should a character be unable to leverage her training in the arcane arts at times simply because she is a criminal in the eyes of Lord British? it doesn't really make any sort of sense.
  17. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Same reason murderers don't serve time in jail and thieves suffer no punishment even remotely close to the value of their best crimes.

Magic.
  18. smoke

smoke New Member

Blaise, take a chill instead of ramping this into something you must win at all costs. I like you bro , just don't agree with you on this one.
    Yes stat loss with reds, alongwith only being able to use bucs as a town, and being able to be attacked on site by anyone.
    Greys with being able to be attacked by anyone, lack of res or bank while grey.
    Yes none of these are world ending in the least but is still prices they pay. A blue that decides to attack either of these should pay something, its lopsided or this thread wouldn't be growing
  19. Isabel

Isabel Active Member

Clearly you don't - heat of battle & criminal flags which restrict recall are not at all the same mechanic.. they just happen to both share the same restrictions when it comes to travel spells but are otherwise quite different from one another
  20. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I wasn't speaking to the code base, but how it works through experience in the game. Whatever the hell you want to call it, travel restrictions are not in place for the innocents seeking to enact justice on criminals. Heat of Battle, Notoriety, bubblegum cheesecake, it really doesn't matter what you want to call it. Criminals suffer restrictions on travel because they are criminals doing criminal things. Innocents don't deserve to be punished for being good. You want to call it playing the game, that's fine, you're playing the game as a criminal and criminals should be subject to punishment.

Sorry Poorgirl, but I'm not ramping anything into something I should win at all costs. It's not even a challenge or competition, it's just a conversation. The code is already in. I'm just trying to help people understand why Telamon made it this way. He did ask me how I felt about it after he came up with it and I agreed. Innocent players attacking criminals should not be restricted from escaping. This is a very very minor benefit to blues, which they deserve, for not being criminals.

It's still very lopsided. Reds and greys are still on easy street 24/7 because statloss means nothing at all and stolen goods can be immediately handed off to innocent alts. Being freely attacked literally means nothing as well because unless you engage, you can just Recall out. Putting those restrictions on blues only suits to make murdering easier because one red or grey can effectively bait an innocent player into travel restrictions in order to facilitate a gank.

I'm all ears for how to improve any system but punishing innocents for attempting to enact what slim variety of justice we have here, is good and should stay, until or unless a superior alternative can be implemented.