Failure in Destard

Discussion in 'The Salty Dog Tavern' started by Aragorn - OCT, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Aragorn - OCT

Aragorn - OCT Well-Known Member

I failed.

Broken strings on my lute, dragon's ire on my heels, I kicked Dunele hard, dragon's breath singeing his tail as we burst from Destard. I had come to fight the dragon horde and yet, another retreat. Another failure.

Mending my wounds with a word or two, I glanced down from Dunele and saw a bag tossed on the ground. No travelers near, I peaked inside to find a journal. It told of the discovery of the items and gold in the pack of travelers from Skara Brae. Well, gold that should have spilled from the pack, as it appears ne'er do wells had rummaged the pack. Who was missing these items, and where were they now? Their failure lay on the grass before me, mine in the cave behind. Dragons roared. I had to find them. Three words and I was in Skara Brae.

It had been years since I'd visited the Ranger's Town. Many of the friendly faces I'd known were gone, replaced by dour shopkeepers glancing askance at Dunele tied up outside their business. I first sought the butcher at Bountiful Meats as the previous owner, Bartel, was known by all in the community of travelers. The new proprietor knew nothing and said even less. Each shop greeted me with nothing more. No word of the missing adventurers.

I sat atop Dunele under an oak tree outside the Falconer's Inn, autumn leaves rattling loudly in the brisk wind, pulling my cloak tighter. Their failure would not be mine. I rode to the bank, withdrew 3,000 gold pieces and rode through town doling out pieces to the poorer and weary. Incredulous stares, grateful faces, distrusting looks. "In the name of the unknown traveler," I told them. "Remember them."

At the bank I laid out their items with care upon the ground, hopeful that family or friend may recognize the weapons and armor of a life spent adventuring. A life of traveling. My mind at ease, I heard an echo of dragon roars.

Kal Ort Por.
  2. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

If you continue to fail as spectacularly as this, I am certain you will become revered!

Bravo! Bravo!

Ill send word to the musicians guild in Britain to provide you with a free instrument tuning. Hopefully with a few minor adjustments you'll be back at it again!
    Alex Caember and Artex like this.
  3. Dun Scaith

Dun Scaith Well-Known Member

While disguised as Lief the ranger.. I came across these articles..
    *grumbling* "whats this?, you seem to have missed the garbage can"

After closer inspection I was left with only one question..
    Who was this rider that delivers these articles back to the kind folks of Brae?
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    Jupiter likes this.
  4. Aragorn - OCT

Aragorn - OCT Well-Known Member

Ah! Hail, Lief the Ranger.

Towns seem to be littered all too often. Let's have a laugh at the misunderstanding over an ale.
    Dun Scaith likes this.
  5. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

This story has been added to the oral history of Paws.

MEMORIZED!​