Fast track guide to taming

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Upgrayedd, Jul 18, 2013.

1. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Not saying that it doesn't need to be fixed but with a gm healer looping at 6 seconds, I was able to heal through that pesky hell hound dmg until it got killed by the rest of the spawn. If your healer has a weapon skill, add an attack hell hound bit and he will assist in quickly dispatching the hounds that pass the blocker. Just a tip until/ if they fix this.
  2. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

IMO, taming bulls is just as fast as hell hounds.
    Azerothian likes this.
  3. El Horno

Taming is difficulty based and hounds have higher taming difficulty. Sure it takes 5 mins to setup as compared to 5 seconds at bulls, but there is no way bulls are just as fast. Bulls are certainly easier, without a doubt. Bulls take up less accounts to do AFK. But if your goal is to gm taming as quick as possible, hell hounds ftw.
    Destruction likes this.
  4. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Remember a couple of other things though. I believe you have a higher chance to gain skill when you succeed at something than when you fail. And yes, the other is that the hell hound setup takes a lot longer to get rolling. So if there are griefers or PKs running around, the setup time really adds up. That doesn't seem to be a concern these days as much as it has been at various times in the past though.
  5. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I think the amount of attention you can pay your macro plays a part in deciding, too. Hounds do take longer to get set up, but IME, you're also much more likely to get griefed/PKed at Jhelom Pens. If you're going to sleep/going to work, you're probably going to get a lot more bang for your buck with hounds.
  6. The Hammer

The Hammer Active Member

Is the Hythloth room still busted? I noticed too when i would put a hidden character to block one of my guys in another spot to tame bulls, the bulls would just walk over my hider.
  7. Paul Gilbert

Paul Gilbert New Member

I'm taming hellhounds in hyth following this guide. It's a PITA to set up but it seems as though when i get a successful tame, it walks over top of the orc and attacks me.
  8. Paul Gilbert

Paul Gilbert New Member

just saw the prev posts.

GOD WHAT A WASTE OF TIME :( :(
  9. MikeK

MikeK Well-Known Member

Hi Paul, it's definitely doable. Put armor on your char, pop a sword on him. You can heal through the damage and you'll kill the hound and gain swords.
  10. Sait

Sait Member

Did the snow leopard spawn rate change? I found a few on the island, nothing like the picture though. Oh and frost troll attack the snow leopard I aggro near my tamer.. Before I tame it. I seriously need a few tips lol
  11. El Horno

ya i never got anything like that picture. Frost trolls have been doing that to never tamed animals lately, not sure what to say except maybe try a snow elemental instead, or ice serpents.
  12. MikeK

MikeK Well-Known Member

Yea Salt it can be quite annoying. Just keep luring. You will get there, I did!

East side of the island is way better for taming btw. Much more spawns.
  13. Sait

Sait Member

Yep started at 50 yesterday, im now at 83.2. That island was painful but like you said, east side was way better.
  14. MikeK

MikeK Well-Known Member

Your almost to afk Bulls! Gogogogo
  15. Steel

Steel Active Member

Can you update the link for how to copy and paste a macro?
  16. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Well-Known Member

I love this guide, it helped me greatly on my path to GM taming.

Just wanted to report that the links at the bottom of the guide are broken.
  17. MikeK

MikeK Well-Known Member

Wanted to add that the SOUTHEAST side of the island is much better. MUCH
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  18. MikeK

MikeK Well-Known Member

I want to let you all know, THE EAST SIDE OF ISLAND IS BETTER THAN WEST.
  19. JayClee

JayClee New Member

i just gmed my tamer thnx for this forum topic works great..:cool::)
  20. Jerry

Jerry New Member

GM'd my first tamer here using this guide up to and including hell hounds for the final push.

Few tips for people new to taming on the server and just reading this guide now (like I was):

- You will read people say taming is completely trivial and take 2 days to GM.. but keep your expectations realistic if you are new and don't have a guild or tamer friends. It will take longer than that

- Dagger island without re-tames takes a fair bit of time. I used the boat method with my tamer and a herder/support guy on the boat. Used my 3rd account to run leopards and later wolves up to the boat. Once you have a lot of mobs lined up.. watch out for people that could come by and tame/release them when you are afk. You won't get success OR gains if the re-tames are higher than you are capable of taming. I lost a good day or so to not realizing this (had probably 20-30+ wolves half of which I was unknowingly not gaining off of haha). Edit: my boat was on the north western side after I experimented in several locations.

- Jhelom bulls I found to be extremely aggravating. Not sure if it is because taming is extremely popular here or what, but there were no less than 3 tamers across the 2 pens at any given time. Experienced a lot of hassle with people dropping mobs to aggro you, taking silver serpents away from setups, grabbing bulls from out of the pens and some generally upset / unfriendly people. I opted to move to Britain and Deluccia to grind skill to where I could just do hell hounds. The hassle in Jhelom and not having someone to team up with an re-tame bulls was what pushed me to do hounds instead.

- Hounds definitely still works just fine. I dragged the ettin, serpent and some other melee mobs into the room to aid in clearing tamed.. but hounds do enough dps that they still would end up grinding through anything in the room and attacking the tamer/helper.

- I had my tamer purely running a taming macro. My second character I used to provoke the orcs to start. Then was attacking any hounds, healing himself when < x hitpoints or the tamer otherwise and running the dress agent if hands were empty to account for broken weapons. Started with no combat skills and ended up with almost gm fencing / tactics as well as gm anatomy/heal. To make it easier, I'd recommend being >50/50 weapon/tactics just to be able to drop tamed hounds faster off the hop.

- 100% of the time I got pked at hounds if I macro'd overnight but less likely during the afternoon or early evening. However, this is compared to being messed with every 20 minutes at Jhelom bulls.

- If you can get organized with some other tamers, I could see things going way, way quicker. But for those that like to grind it out a bit solo it is still definitely doable in a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks again for the guide!

j
    Ziggy Stardust likes this.