Fast track guide to taming

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Upgrayedd, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Ralcore

Ralcore New Member

Hey, new to this server (have not even made my accounts yet). Looking into getting my tamer up and running asap. I like and appreciate this guide greatly. I do have a question regarding Animal Lore. When I have power leveled a tamer in the past, I think I remember locking Animal Lore at 0 until I was done with Taming, as this resulted in more failures and triggered more "gainable" events. What do you think about this? Does it not work this way on this server?
  2. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Lore is chance to control. I have tried with/without lore and noticed no changes.

What has made it less "painful" however is not following these guides so much. Knowing the minimum chance to tame metric of each tamable and moving from species to species often is best imo.

If you've access to another tamer's "retames" that's rather advantageous as well.... dependent on understanding of the difficulty number of the creature when retamed of course.
  3. Ralcore

Ralcore New Member

I think my friend and I will be raising tamers together, so that should help. Thanks for the reply!
  4. blasfede

blasfede Active Member

I've personally added an All stay to the Hounds Macro just after the "Attack last target", because if the macro attack one of the hounds you have already tamed they can reach you and kill you. Personal tip, feel free to follow it or not!
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  5. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Well-Known Member

This guide is amazing.

Training taming however, is not amazing and an absolute ball ache.

I'm on the dagger isle stage, been running around feeding my tamer walrus and polar bears for 3 hours. Only got to 51.7.

Jesus.
    Christ.
  6. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

You'll get better gains off of scorpions in Compassion desert. Always spots to place a small marble and you can see other set ups to get an idea

Tamer Chart.png

As soon as your skill matches the "Virgin" part, move to them asap. You can gain off fails, and more fails means less feeding your tamer. Once you get to bulls, its pretty much a cake walk from there aside from people who like to grief.

And one more thing. Look for a central location in compassion. You can drag from all directions. First time I placed in the southwest corner and when I ran out of scorpions nearby, it was a long walk from the other side.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    Sheepdog likes this.
  7. Sheepdog

Thanks @Duke Cannon - I had fallen victim (once again) to the displayed vs real system and was taming the wrong things.

Managed to scrape it up to 57.0 real 61.9 displayed by actually taming the things I was meant too, will move to scorpions for the rest of the shenanigans!

Thank you for the advice :)
  8. fatchildren

fatchildren Active Member

I find this guide very inefficient actually (for me, no disrespect for the OP, maybe im just a noob!)... Im at dagger isle and pulling mobs is one issue already. They hardly follow you, secondly, there is not enough mobs in a area to pull. It would take more than half a day to pull half the map...

Anyone have another way to make taming a bit easier? Maybe the guide is a bit outdated? Or im just noob? The macro works fine though, its just the process... much quicker if you just tame a mob one at a time
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  9. Sheepdog

I also just ran around and tamed one at a time and found it significantly easier. Still took me about a week of 3 or so hours a night to get to 71.1

I also utilised the time to do security checks on all the premises on dagger isle.....
  10. Sheepdog

I just GM'd taming using this guide - but not precisely.

I started a character with 50 taming 50 magery and immediately got to work.

My template was to be:
    90 STR
    45 DEX
    90 INT

TAMING
    ANIMAL LORE
    VETERINARY
    MAGERY
    MEDITATION
    MUSICIANSHIP
    PEACE

I have a large patio on dagger isle so I tried this guides set up with the frost troll cleaning up my walrus tames while a second character ran around collecting them. I did this for about 30 minutes before I realised it was just easier for me to actually run around with the tamer.

I tamed enough to max out my followers and then renamed and released when I found a new one.

This worked well as every time I encountered a monster all the pets would run over and get killed by it leaving me to bail.

I then moved onto polar bears, snow leopards and then white wolves. This stage is long as fuck, it's tedious, its boring and it's disheartening as holy hell. You'll find that one animal you just can't tame, and you'll try 20 times while thinking "I'm gonna get a gain the next time" and then you succeed and tame it and gain nothing. I understand why people have half finished Tamers.

The whole time I was online with this character at this stage, if I was in front of the keyboard I was running around taming and if I was afk I was macroing musicianship or meditation using the magic wizard hat trick. Once I hit 80.1 music I switched to peace.

The second I hit 71.1 I got myself to the Jhelom bulls.

This place.....fucking hell....I will never set foot on this little island ever again. 99.9% of the players on this island are huge, monumental cocks. I've never been around so many selfish "fuck you jack - I'm alright" players on all my time playing UO.

I'm a courteous dude, if I had my silver serpent and my bulls and great harts being tamed and someone showed up I always offered to drag my serpent into the one stable and we could tame and rename and get a system going between us. 1 person out of about 20 took me up on the offer and the rest would just park themselves next to me and try and chief the fresh tames or lead the serpent away from me by casting invis on me or getting an alt to kill me and then taking my spot. Even if the other pen was free. I got properly PK'd once by some cats from CPU, they were legit, rolled in took me out and after I rezzed I said evening to them and they said evening back. Nice dudes. The other times I got killed it was by crappy reds that were just there to take out Tamers so their Tamers could continue AFK. It was super boring and frustrating. I clawed my way to 85.5 pretty quickly semi afk, every time I walked past the computer I'd move myself to another side of the pen.

I tried The Hyloth hell hounds twice, both times during what I thought were quiet periods U.K GMT 7:00 in the morning, both times I tried it I was PK'd on one of the three characters I was using to get it set up (only have a few seconds to hit the escape macro on one account let alone 3)

So I thought I would try it the long way and stayed at the Jhelom bull pens to see how long the "long way" really took.

Yesterday, 227 hours after creating my tamer I GM'd taming - the long way.

[​IMG]

So about 9 and a bit days of macroing afk and semi afk I'm left with:
    GM Taming
    GM Animal Lore
    GM Med
    GM Music
    GM Peace
    50 Magery
    29.9 Vet

I'm going to drop music and peace once my friend has built up his tamer too and replace it with Eval and resist but for solo PVM I'm gonna run with this template for a while.

Amazing guide, thank you for taking the time to put it together and thanks to everyone else who helped me out and offered advice and a massive thank you to the one person who tamed and renamed with me - rather than against me - you raised my taming 6 points from 89 to 95 in about 3/4 hours. If everyone had of done that instead of just looking out for themselves we all would of accomplished our collective goals a LOT faster.
  11. dabrixmgp

dabrixmgp Member

so I dont think Im doing it right. After macroing Music and Provo to 100 I bought a boat and headed to Dagger Isle. I started with 50 Taming but havent used it once yet. I pulled around 10 polar bears with my Herder and started the Macro. After about 5 minutes I tamed them all. I then released all of them and immediately re-tamed them. I figured I would head to Leopards and the same thing happened. Tamed everything I pulled, released, and immediately retamed. Is it best now to just roam around and tame everything you come across?
  12. Sheepdog

You won't gain off your own retames.

Ditch the boat and run around taming. Rename, release them and don't retame them again.

What's your current skill level?

Shown skill level specifically.
  13. Hollywood

You cannot gain off of same characters re-tames. So if you tame a polar bear and go to re-tame it, you will not receieve any gain off of it.

When a char tames a polar bear for the first time and it is released, the difficulty of that taming skill goes up to a "1st retame" as referenced to the last picture in the guide.

And I will use a scorpion for this example as it might be easier since your skill is 50 or above now. Say I tame a scorpion and release it, the skill needed for a different character to tame that scorpion is now 53.1 since it is under the "1st retame" so if YOU come along and try to tame that scorpion and your skill is 53 or under, you won't be able to tame it.

If you come across other polar bears that are renamed and your skill level is under the 1st retame, just move on or kill it so fresh polar bears start spawning.
  14. Hollywood

I agree, ditch the boat. I would tame 3-5 at a time and then have those attack a snow elemental, frost troll, ice serpent or ice elemental to have them killed for fresh spawns. Watch out for zookeeper animals too. Keep those and sell em
  15. Sheepdog

Echoing @Duke Cannon 's advice on the quest animals too, there are a few that roam dagger and can bag you some nice coin, if you get one and don't have a character that can gate you to a stable to stash it PM and and I'll come help you.
  16. dabrixmgp

dabrixmgp Member

51.3 Im gonna macro Herding for a few hours to get some more Str then gonna go back at it. Might try Compassion Desert. Can you still put a house there and use that to mass pull to? I have a GM Herder on 2nd account. Only problem is I have 10k so cant afford a house lol.
  17. TommyWiseau

TommyWiseau Member

18. Loxius

Loxius Member

I had my healer/fencer attack nearest by type so if one was in range he would kill it pretty quickly...
    El Horno likes this.
  19. dabrixmgp

dabrixmgp Member

Gonna have to say after trying Dagger Isle I have to say Compassion Desert is FAR FAR better. I was able to go from a fresh character all the way to 72 in a day (within 24 hours of creation over Saturday and Sunday so not 1 sitting). I placed my house right next to the Shrine, which proly wasnt the best spot, but it worked. Then used another account to pull in stuff from all over. Even setting up where I did it wasnt much trouble to pull from the other side of the Desert. Just make sure you have 60+ healing or pots to cure all the scorpion poison. Stone Harpies also make for excellent killers. If I noticed too many Earth Eles up I would wipe them out to get some more scorpions and snakes to spawn. Theres a Zoo Keeper quest mob here? Just didnt know that at the time and killed him like 4 times lol. Also once you hit 71.1 for bulls just walk a little north and tame a desert Ostard before heading out.

If anyone wants to use my house just lemme know since all I used it for was taming and will proly never use it again.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  20. Shubre

Shubre New Member

I GM'd taming using this guide. I skipped hellhounds though and did bulls to GM.

A lot of griefing at bulls but didn't bother me that much.
    Sheepdog likes this.