Fighting on this server

Discussion in 'PvP Discussion' started by Potion Commotion, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Potion Commotion

Potion Commotion Member

I've recently started getting into pvp on this server, and I was wondering what other folks typical fight looks like.

I'm used to insta hit hally mage and alchy mages, and so I'm having a bit of trouble turning out enough damage to kill someone. All of my fights have been really slow and don't end until someone gets a really lucky stun punch off, is that just kind of how things go? I recently changed my stats to 95 35 95 to try and soak up some of the absurd MB damage and now it's even worse! after one failed dump I spend the whole fight trying to get enough mana to heal. Any thoughts? Whats a good 1v1 template?
  2. Bogugh

Bogugh Well-Known Member

Are you talking about field fighting? I'm not going to write an entire guide to pvp here, but to give you a general idea:

The most effective templates for 1v1 are stun heal and stun scribe mages. Fencing mages aren't bad either.

Most 1v1 kills are the result of one burst of damage followed by a stun or para blow and then lethal damage before or just after your opponent can move again. You will often need to disrupt at least one gheal with spell timing, a well timed explosion pot or a punch or whatever else. I wouldn't call the stuns lucky. I think the stun chance is 3/8 or 2/5 or something like that.

After a failed dump it can sometimes be difficult to regenerate mana against a tank mage or dexxer. This is accomplished by trying to stun them as many times as possible as they swing (and then med for a few seconds), by using heal pots and bandages to heal and by using reactive armor.

As far as mind blast is concerned, I think 35 dex is lower than most people. I'd say 40-45 dex is the norm for pvp chars. Well, I guess some people run like 90/35/100, but after buffs that results in lower mb damage than your stats. Make sure you aren't chugging strength pots and then not chugging dex pots either as this will spread your stats further. MB base damage is the difference between your highest and lowest stat divided by 2.

Due to the mechanics here, it is difficult to kill people 1v1. If your opponent has a greater heal wand and is competent then it is impossible until you run them out of charges (or something else) unless they make a significant error or lag/disconnect.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  3. Potion Commotion

Potion Commotion Member

What are people doing, 90 45 90? That's absurd! really nerfs your manna. Yeah, I've noticed a lot of gheal wand usage. Nothing more frustrating then finally getting off that clutch stun just to see a wand pop up in their hand.

Was there ever the alchy bonus on this server? it seems to me like it really evens our the damage ability with the survivability of this era.
  4. Preyas

Preyas Active Member

Try a lighting wand.
  5. Bogugh

Bogugh Well-Known Member

No there was never an alchemy bonus. I don't have a problem with the purple pot damage here.

Not everyone runs 90/45/90, but it is fairly common.
    Some people run:
    90/40/95
    90/35/100
    84/41/100
    etc
  6. amfeKk

amfeKk Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

in the field you should be fine running 90/35/100.. just use greater buff pots
    1v1s are very difficult on UOR.. when both fighters are efficient at staying alive
    the ones that excel in 1v1s are really the ones who can use explosion potions and wands effectively
    Erza Scarlet likes this.
  7. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Well first you need to be diligent and make sure that you make every positive/community driven thread about you in some way. Just take a right dump all over it without a care about anyone else. Be sure and drag several of your enemies into it, form circular arguments, and don't stop for at least two pages. You've got to have standards, ya know?

Then I'd recommend practicing the art of implicating others. The better you are at pointing fingers and placing blame the better!

That should get you off to a good start! G'luck with your server fighting!
    One, Erza Scarlet and Alice Asteroid like this.
  8. Erza Scarlet

Erza Scarlet Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

You will like Heal Mages here, if youre used to alch mages already.

Its a standard 1v1 duelist template here, the most used stats are 90/45/90 in the pits.
    This is due to Mindblast damage, you can however use cunning pretty nicely in my experience.
    Also: 90 Mana is enaugh to kill people in 5x as well as 7xStandard as people have proofen countless times.

Should you prefer field fights however, you can go 90/35/100 as amfekk already told you and use agility pots to neglect your low dex.
    Scribe/Stun - or Tankmages are pretty powerful templates on the field and commonly used.
    (Fencing Mages have the most kill potential in my opinion, but you can have fun with every weapon class :))

Having 90 mana can be tough at the start, but its not that huge of a deal with a bit of practice.
    Its defenitly harder to kill someone with lower mana, but if you can pull it off with 90 mana, you can do it with 100 anytime ;)
    newme likes this.
  9. ebola

ebola Well-Known Member

If your use to using alchy mages then you should have no problem here. The only difference being u don't need the alchy skill for the bonus and the purple timer is different.also if u incorporate purples into ur combos u will have no problem killing with 90 mana.

I've killed quite a bit of ppl with ,weaken stun explo purp ebolt combo. I like to call it "the death combo"

That pro tips free
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    newme and Erza Scarlet like this.
  10. Curly Sue

Curly Sue Well-Known Member

I'm most fond of taking my spear and shoving it through peoples heads... But sometimes a crossbow bolt the chest works just as well.
    Pill, newme, One and 1 other person like this.