Fisherman Template (Advice Needed)

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by pdodd, May 28, 2013.

1. pdodd

pdodd New Member

I am in the planning stages of creating a fisherman to take part in all of the fantastic pirate content the staff has been creating.

Currently, I am thinking something like this:

Fishing
    Tracking

Healing
    Anatomy

Magery
    Musicianship
    Provocation

I should say also that my goal is to be able to acquire amibs solo. Any advice would be most appreciated!
  2. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

In most cases, you'll only be fighting one serpent at a time, so provocation is probably not going to be of much use. And outside of that, Magery with no Eval Int and no Meditation is going to both consume a lot of resources and take quite awhile to wittle serpents down if its your only offensive skill.

I would take a melee weapon skill. You can kill serpents pretty easily in hand-to-hand combat. A lot of people take Archery on their fishermen (and I did too), but I think its way overhyped. While Archery is safer since you can stand in the middle of the boat, melee weapons kill faster. Also, making arrows is a chore and buying arrows is extremely expensive - assuming you can even find a seller. (Also consumes a ton of resources if you plan to macro it to GM)

One thing I will warn you on if you do go the melee route is that Krakens (the monsters that carry the AMIBs) will run when they are low. And not that pathetic little slow "please don't kill me" walk away that most monsters do when they're low. No, Krakens BOOK it. You'll have to constantly be ordering the tillerman around in order to keep up. I've found it pretty much necessary to use ranged attacks at that point (this is the one time I still bust out my bow). Magery could be substituted here. You could perhaps even use Peacekeeping to 'lock' the Krakens down. (I tried this once, and it still got away).

If you plan to retrieve normal MiBs, I highly suggest keeping Magery at least as one skill (so that you can recall back and forth from the boat with your loot ... that stuff is heavy and since items on boat decks decay, you can only stuff so much into your ship's hold).
  3. Basoosh

As evidenced by my sig, you can always make a squad of fishermen too. If you like to do 'real stuff on land' while you fish, you don't have to make the full 3, just 2 could work out fine.

I don't know if this actually increases your 'fishing income' or not (AMIBS are still **ultra** rare with 3 fishers), but it at least gives you more skill slots, so that you can fit all the fun skills in. It also let me start with 50 Resisting Spells on all my fishers, which helps reduce serpent and water ele damage.

Not to dishearten you, but my rough estimate so far is ~50 hours of fishing turns out about 1 AMIB. Dunno if that's just bad luck or if they are actually that rare, but that's been my experience so far. Luckily you're still earning MiBs and nets during this time. Admins have mentioned that nets will be getting beefed up someday in the future too (so probably in your best interest to hold onto them for now).
  4. Nelvin_Skjordal

Nelvin_Skjordal Member

Is that 50 hours w/ 3 fishers running (meaning, 150 hours of fishing), or?
  5. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

1 in 20 MIB's found will be an Ancient MIB, with approximately 1 normal message in a bottle for every hour of fishing.

Patch 38 will see some content added to fishing nets allowing for them to be found that way as well.
  6. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

That's good advice from Basoosh. It somewhat comes down to preference and how you want/like to play.

Here is what my fisher looks like:
    Anatomy GM
    Archery GM
    Fishing GM
    Healing 96
    Hiding 38
    Magery 81
    Resist Spells GM
    Tactics 83

I have hiding since I usually go AFK a lot for 2mins here, 10mins there but am dropping it (was GM). I was thinking of GMing Magery but will likely do a Hiding/Magery split.... 65/35 or something like that. Provo is great for nets but not really essential. I bring my bard/mage when I do nets. Also, I would love to have tracking but not essential and wont work with the template I have.

Also since tourney started, I haven't fished much. But I did find an aMIB relatively quickly... few hours of fishing (just got lucky with the 1 in 20).
  7. Basoosh

That was per fisher. (I have fished ~50 man-hours of running all 3 fishers since the AMIB patch, and I've fished up 3 so far). Sounds like I'm just having a rash of bad luck though, based off of the odds Chris posted. So your mileage may vary!

I do seem to fish up 1 normal MiB per fisher per hour though, so I seem to be right on target for that metric.
  8. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

9. Basoosh

Wow, very cool stats, thanks Chris!

I'm on the list of completing 1! And I have 2 out of the 5 purples on the server. I'm so proud.
  10. pdodd

pdodd New Member

Wow, what fantastic advice! I really appreciate it everyone. And Basoosh, I love the idea of having a fishing crew. Maybe one day I will do that :)