Fishing: A bad haul or par for the course?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Spooner, Aug 5, 2013.

1. corruption

corruption Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

A place with a good turnover rate, clearly :D
  2. SirLanceAlittle

SirLanceAlittle Member

Ezekiel, I'm a bit slow today and you lost me here. So, the spawning of Dolphins and Water Elementals is related to fishermen, and not a random spawn with a few regulating factors?
  3. corruption

I believe he was saying that all of them naturally spawn, with the exception of krakens and shipwreck krakens -- and that krakens/shipwreck krakens you come across in the wild have been fished up.
  4. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Renaissance Staff

Dolphins, water elementals, sea & deep sea serpents all spawn regularly & can be found naturally while out at sea. The comment about the fishermen was to imply that its not necessary for somebody to fish a sea critter up for them to be present on the seas, everything but the krakens & shipwreck krakens will spawn on their own accord just as forest critters or those found in dungeons do.

Krakens & Shipwrecked krakens will still have to be fished up however, they do not spawn naturally on the open seas.
  5. SirLanceAlittle

SirLanceAlittle Member

Oh how cool. My mistake. Sorry about the confusion.

I am so glad to hear that Sea Serpents and Deep Sea Serpents spawn on their own accord.
  6. Spooner

Spooner Active Member

I'm out in the wide ocean, not near any land or server boundaries, fishing a tile dry and then moving over a few tiles to rinse and repeat.

Getting 1 mib and 2 level one t-maps over two hours of work doesn't seem to be that great of a haul.
  7. Spooner

Spooner Active Member

I've yet to fish up any Krakens.
  8. corruption

In 10 minutes of fishing after starting up again tonight, 2 more serps -- and i pulled a SW kraken earlier. Grand total for 4 hours of fishing was 35 serps and a sw kraken this afternoon. I'm not doing anything special other than fishing about 200 tiles from a server boundary to the east, with nothing near me to the south, west, or north -- I do not have the dry spells like you're talking about.

I know it sounds jackassy -- but make 100% certain you're a good distance from any server boundaries. The ONLY time I've seen pull rates like you describe, I've been within 20-30 tiles of server boundaries.
  9. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

That's odd. I've had some great hauls on/around server boundries
  10. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

I don't think their are server boundaries here.
  11. corruption

Well, no, there are not server boundaries, per se -- but the map is still a grid based map. The server lines exist whether there are multiple servers or not. Perfect evidence of this is when you're at the 'top' or 'bottom' of the map -- above Yew, sailing N/S, or below Isle of the Avatar/Verity, sailing N/S -- when you 'wrap' the world, you're hitting a server boundary -- and you can see it in UOAM. That stretch of all the dungeons, the T2A lands, etcetcetc, is beyond the server boundary. So while, yes, you're correct there's no 'server lines' in the sense that you're hopping from server to server within the shard like on OSI -- the server lines are an inherent design 'feature' of the map itself.

This DOES matter here. Chris has stated, at very least on irc -- and I believe on the forums as well, though I will have to search for that -- that fishing near server boundaries, such as these, produces the same results as fishing in shallow water. You must be minimum 16 tiles from them -- and I found that my spawn rate went up exponentially when I moved from about 25 tiles off the server line, to about 150 tiles off the server line.

Edit to add: It has not been stated on the forums -- but I know this was stated on irc at some point, and I know I saw a notable difference from near vs far.
    TiMi likes this.
  12. TiMi

TiMi Active Member

from gming 2 fishers so far Corrupt is correct.

we tested this by sailing near the server line and throwing a special fishing net.
    It said " You must be in deep water to use this"

Regards
    TiMi