Flashy Colours

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Eisensaft, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Eisensaft

Eisensaft New Member

Inspired by Blaises faction thread i thought i would open a new one, to keep the discussions separated.

What do you guys think about the available colours for clothing, hair, beard and so on. Do you feel they should be toned down or do you think we need more neon stuff?

I ll let youz know what i think:

I came here because i hated all the neon stuff on other shards. And its by far superior than any other shard i had been at, but i am worried about all these flashy colours coming up like neon hair dye or pink bows and sandals.

in my opinion uo is kind of a middle age experience and not a japanese mmoprg with cute dressed girls and ninja warriors.
    So i hope that in future there will not be implemented much more extravagant colour stuff.

let me know how you feel about this.
  2. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I do miss neon-pink ninjas riding giant bugs.

... NOT !!!

Seriously, if you want flashy colors buy an iPhone5C !
    Keeping the color scheme clean and on-theme is what I appreciate about this shard a lot.
    Even though you might want to introduce flashy colors only as a veteran reward they will still be VERY VERY present everywhere since this shard has a very high veteran population.

It's part of the idea to make this shard look like UO did look in 2000. The fanciest color I could think of at that time was black - or jet black as people might call it today.
    More colors do not improve the game. But it hurts my eyes and ruins the whole atmosphere of UO:R. Please let me not be the only one again.
  3. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

Neon colors don't really bother me to be honest. After 15 years of this game, the plain old non vibrant colors just get kinda old and it's nice to see more bright flashy colors in my opinion.
  4. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

I don't mind the bright and flashy but those colors should only be available at a premium.
  5. Paradigm

Paradigm Active Member

This is one area where I am strictly interested in era accurate. What did original faction horses look like? I don't remember.

I do remember neon hair dye and it was awesome. I loved getting vet rewards.
  6. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Why do I keep hearing about neon faction crap? Blue/White, Red/Black, Green/Black, Purple/Gold? I hate neon and I remember going to a Japanese shard with like 30 people named Harry who were all bald and we beat people down with black staffs, 2 pks gated us around. I saw haw whacky those guys dressed and hated it, so I enjoyed slaughtering them.
  7. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member

Nice move !!!
  8. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

I must say that from my time here I'm loving the content of the shard and most of its mechanics. If there is ONE downside for me is the amount of neon present on the shard. Now, don't get me wrong. I don't mind a dark red bear mask, or forrest green sandals, it's the neon pink and neon green crap that is really an eye sore...at least for me.

I mean, green cauldrons? Pink bows and arrows? Really?
  9. ReZon

ReZon Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Here is what Chris said in response to a question/concern I had about the shard, colors in particular:

10. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

The pink is from Valentines Day and they aren't able to be created by players, so that is a good thing. I rarely see them anyhow.
  11. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Agree, the pink bows and arrows are ridiculous.

The faction horses, while not technically "dyed mounts", are a little off-putting. But I don't know much about factions, so perhaps they were standard for the era? Either way, it's become obvious to me that neon sandals and beards and hair are absolute 100% requisites of any freeshard these days. Much as I hate it, it comes with the territory and trying to fight it is swimming against the tide.

On the plus side, the availability of many dyes and otherwise uncommon items makes for great possibilities for talented designers. So all the more power to someone who, for example, enters the house decor contest *without* showing off a ton of custom-dyed stuff, but instead uses it in a more restrained and appropriate way.
  12. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

There were a few pink items available as drops during our valentines event, as they fit the theme of the event . However they were only available as one time drops from Cupid and his archers. These items were decorative in nature, and not meant to be items you would see someone use in the field.

Valentines / St Pattys Day Items
    [​IMG]

One of our early goals for the server was to establish a range of sandals in existence that mirrored OSI, namely highly desirable, desirable and common sandals. To this end we released a variety of sandals during events for the last year. We are nearing the end of this process as we have accomplished our goal of a diverse number of hues and amounts in existence.

However like several players mentioned we do take great care in reviewing any hue added to the server, and strive to avoid the graphical vomit that became commonplace on OSI/Free shards. Our players can be assured that we will always take care in selecting only aesthetically pleasing hues for the server, and how those items came to exist on the server will be easily traced.

For instance the Hue 71 seafoam sandals were created on accident by me as prize room item from the 1st anniversary scavenger hunt. Instead of setting them to hue 1271 to match the anniversary green, I selected an incorrect hue and didn't notice it until I reviewed the sandals on the server. Since I did not specifically state the hue of the sandals in the prize room post, the owner was allowed to keep them as he won them fair and square as a prize from the event.

[​IMG]
    http://www.uorenaissance.com/?page=m_item_details2&itemtype=Sandals&itemnum=170D

As for items such as the furniture dye tub, players like Rand Al Thor spent hours auditing every hue available and helped the staff develop a custom hue palette that represented the aesthetic goals of the server.
    [​IMG]
    Note: Some minor adjustments have been made since this picture was taken (notably the addition of faction colors, and removal of the blood red, ice white colors.

Now as all this relates to the house decor contest, hued items can sure accent a design element, but its the overall design that will be judged. Also 50% of your votes will come from the players, with the other 50% coming from the staff. Once the contest ends there will be a 1 week voting period where everyone is allowed to campaign for their favorite house

As for faction items, here are the custom faction hues we have on Renaissance.

Faction Hues
    COM - 1325 (Blue) ,1310 (Bluish White)
    Minax - 1645 (Dark Red), 1109 (Shadow)
    ShadowLords - 1109 (Green), 2211 (Dark Green)
    True Brit - 1254 (Dark Purple), 2125 (Gold)
  13. Baine

Baine Well-Known Member

I personally like the neon hair option because it's something I would only purchase at end-game. It has no actual use and it's relatively expensive because of that reason. I also think that's why I have only seen one character with neon hair/beard on this server. I think the faction mounts are okay because they are mellow hues, not neon, and they provide a little more incentive for joining factions. That being said, I draw the line at neon weapons and armor/clothing. Neon weapons completely destroy the look and feel of the renaissance era and I think this shard has a good selection of aesthetically pleasing BOD cloth already in place to satisfy those people with colorful personalities.
  14. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

The only time you will see a colored weapon obtainable on Renaissance would be from a quest or event. These items are meant as trophy's only. Cupid's Bow, or the Blood Knights Cutlass being 2 examples, both are as effective as a store bought weapon. In the event that an item like that could be obtained from an event, the amount we would design to be in existence would be 2-15.

This was a common and enjoyed feature of OSI shards as players would greatly prize a unique item obtained from a one of a kind event.

As for neon hair dyes the selection we have available mirrors OSI very closely with only a few small changes, notably the removal of ice white hair, and the addition of a deep blue.
  15. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Honestly, the pinks you see on items from Cupid are NO BRIGHTER THAN IS OBTAINABLE THROUGH A NORMAL DYE TUB.
    You can go right now, with your newbie character and dye your whole outfit that very same pink color for under 100gp.

Bright obnoxious hues have always been available through regular dye tubs. Even the neon here isn't that neon. I will say that the hues from the Anniversary are probably borderline for what I would consider acceptable Ultima. It's really not that bad and as Chris said, there has been a ton of effort put into restricting the hues on the shard to things that are not an eye sore.

Don't worry, you're not going to see anyone fielding a Cupid's Bow any time soon (even though I did for CTF once and got it looted by HateCrime shortly thereafter). Faction horses have always looked silly and, as much as I love my purple warhorse, I could easily live without them. However, if we pulled them now, people would have grandfathered horses bonded and newbies would bitch about not being able to get them. Same thing goes for the sandals. Although I was opposed to removing the ability to dye your own, I suppose it makes a nice market for these things and something for newer players to strive for.

Dress up has and always will be part of UO. Maybe not for everyone, but for a LOT. When I start seeing players on ice white ethereal dragons or whatever the hell, I might start tripping. Just be happy we don't have fire steeds, unicorns and beetles mucking up the lands. Just because the palette here isn't as generally bland as lands most of us came from, doesn't mean it's off the charts or excessive. It just means more people have an opportunity to get their hands on the stuff that others have paid 60+ million gold for, in other lands. Clearly that's an indication of the players wanting these things more than the players who don't.

I love Ultima, and I like it to look and feel like Ultima. Believe me, I've put in more than a few words with Telamon regarding hues and I'd like to think that people appreciate the restrictions and additions here because a lot of thought was applied by a lot of really picky UO players.
  16. newme

newme Well-Known Member

Personally I prefer pastel colors; but thus far I have not found any of the "hues" if from dye tubs, hair deeds or events, over the top offensive. (don't have to wear sunglasses to look at any of them). I think the staff has done a great job in trying to meet the majority of us players color tastes and staying within what their own vision is for the server.

Westra
  17. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

Straight up, if I'm going to be flat lining noobs to the cobblestone floors of Brit you better be damn sure I'm gonna look good doing it. Neon hair, faction mount, and Lord title with some BOD cloth outfit. What this server has now is NOTHING in regards to excessive neon colors running amuck. Like Blaise said, If I wanted to I could go dye my entire wardrobe some obnoxiously flashy neon colors with a store bought dye tub, and that's how it's always been.