For all new (and old?) thieves: What to do after being a GM thief?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by BlackEye, Mar 25, 2016.

1. scuba

scuba Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Anyone remember a time where guard whacks had a chance to deal a huge chunk of damage and not kill you? I would not mind that coming back at least give thiefs a chance to run away with loot
  2. von Stuben

von Stuben Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I remember a time on OSI that you could box yourself in and only be exposed to the lightening strike.

Back to stealing though....

IMO:

The pure thief:
    Every thief should at least try a stealth template. SOOOOOOOOOO much fun IMO. Waiting around at stables (del, occlo, moonglow, skara), gate jumping tamers and stalking until you see the stack of plat... BOOM. So much fun. I did this yesterday at Lich Lords and had a blast.... only to get into arrive at the bank grey and get myself ganked... i walked away with nothing, but had fun stalking.

Also, the house looting - Mage/Stealth. Get yourself setup with a group of PKs/reds (or run your own) and get an owner to open his/her door to chase them. Stealth your toon in, hide in a corner and while the player is engaged in combat outside, gate your pals in and kill everyone inside/loot the house.

Combat thieves:
    I have two combat thieves that I use (mage/dexxer) and they are fun for 2 reasons:
    1. I suck at PVP, so i cant actually say I've ever been successful, but stealing regs and initiating a fight. A while back, I was able to keep the great Kane at bay by getting all of his mandrake root, thus necessitating his immediate retreat. But there are a couple of successful thieves out there that can hold their own - which is really cool when you see someone trammel dressed and get taken down.
    2. Hunting at spawns - i run a macro for opening bags, and just take a peak at peoples first layer of shit most of the time. Sometimes, I will go ahead and grab some plat or a nice sword (most people hate this, but it's fun) at the end of the spawn and gate jump to safety.
    One and The Crooked Warden like this.
  3. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

4. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Just an anecdote but,

While on my thief I always do a turnabout when I hear someone complain about thieves. I will throw on my trammy best disguise and engage in a short conversation... the short of it is, I will present a different point of view and most times, the player will agree that the rogue playstyle is a-ok.

I especially love it when they say they're going to log out and go make a thief to play or better yet, a detective!

...but most of all, my day is made when during the whole conversation, I've stolen from them several times on my "other" thief
  5. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  6. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

Bump!

[​IMG]
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  7. Bamilus

Bamilus Active Member

Steal my regs and piss me off
    The Crooked Warden and wylwrk like this.
  8. Garresh

Garresh Member

Is that an invitation?
  9. Caska VS Trees

Caska VS Trees Well-Known Member

is this a bad time to plug my shop? :cool:
    Bamilus and Garresh like this.
  10. Brun

Brun New Member

ADD a checkbox to the trade gump, if trading by a bank,

"Confirm trade and place item immediately into bank."
    Fuji Flu likes this.
  11. Bamilus

Bamilus Active Member

Server is already Trammel enough, don't need to make it more.
  12. The Crooked Warden

The Crooked Warden Well-Known Member

Seriously. We already have a gump for tinker trapped chests…
    Fuji Flu likes this.
  13. Meradin

Meradin Well-Known Member

Or if you're doing a deal for a easily stealable item from a notorious thief. This would be rational paranoia.
    ;)
  14. Brun

Brun New Member

Fair enough.

Sorry, it's been so long since I've played, just trying to get back into things. =D
    Bamilus likes this.
  15. Bamilus

Bamilus Active Member

No worries, man. It's definitely a risk but you can do a lot to prevent it by using seldom populated banks, tracking/detect hidden/reveal, doing house trades for big orders, etc. I'm sure it's happened but any seller here who stole something from you right after trading it to you would be blacklisted, I'd imagine.

Most of the thieves on this server are pretty fun. It's always great seeing naked dudes being chased by three blues around Moonglow
    Brun and Garresh like this.
  16. Garresh

Garresh Member

Why naked? I feel like theft is the best time to throw on a disguise/costume just for roleplaying or something. Im currently hoarding outfits I can use for my extracurriculars.
    Brun and Bamilus like this.
  17. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Pretty early when I started on the shard and just gm'd magery some noobish looking thief kept swiping things from me and coming up to me grey in Occlo, and I thought I'd teach him a lesson because I figured he looked harmless. I proceeded to para him, then ended up paralyizing myself and was totally confused. The "noobish looking thief" ended up being @Pill and he dropped my ass before I even knew what happened :p From then on I learned it was sometimes best to let thieves run off with your mandrake or 53 pieces of gold if you weren't ready for an all out fight haha.
    M3THMOUTH and Bamilus like this.
  18. Bamilus

Bamilus Active Member

I agree with you, but I've seen a lot of thieves lately run around naked. Probably just too lazy to use a dress agent to reequip clothes after getting guard whacked.

I have great memories of using a disguise kit on SP and changing outfits.
    M3THMOUTH and Brun like this.
  19. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

To summarize, you only see the bad thieves.
    Brun, PaddyOBrien and Bamilus like this.
  20. Bamilus

Bamilus Active Member

yea but if someone works that hard to steal my 5 black pearl, sewing kit, and moonglow bank rune then you gotta give em props, right?
    Brun likes this.