Free Use Duel Arena

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Timbo Slice, Jan 29, 2015.

1. STAVROGIN

STAVROGIN Well-Known Member

and no problem about holiday events (halloween, thanksgiving, xmas etc) cos they are happenin in felucca. any item can get stolen or u can get killed etc.
    there is always a risk u know.
  2. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

this has been shoved down our throats for six months:

--Blaise:
    "I honestly agree that the greatest detriment to shard population thus far has been the heavy lean towards PvM content. I love it all but I'm getting seriously bored of waiting for REGULAR CTF matches, 1v1s, 2v2s on a calendar so we all know exactly when the party is going on and we can plan for it accordingly.

When players can count on action in that way, they are much more likely to stick around and spend the time gearing up for them here, instead of playing those events somewhere else and wishing they had the good PvM content there.

When ACTUAL PVP events are regular, population will begin to soar beyond the couple hundred active PvMers we have now."--

Yes I prefer a more classic UO. If I wanted cheesy donation shop servers with a lot of neon and custom content - those servers are out there. I've never asked for CTF to be removed. I don't actually believe it would suddenly make field fights happen. Most of those players that spend all their time in instances aren't just going to go hit the field. They prefer a trammelized server. I think the instances hurt a little bit. You say that's laughable. But there was considerably more open world pvp prior to CTF. You showed up about the time CTF's current form did. It may be hard for you to imagine that there were months with daily spontaneous group fights. Not just some grabass and recalling away. ~10 players committed and duking it out at wherever they found each other. I think more instanced events is going to make things worse. I'd like to think we can agree that automated events haven't done what people were trying to say it would do.

Some of the arguments were that after the events a lot of pvp would happen. But what happens if you wait outside the event centers for people? You're called a griefer. You're told you're playing unfairly. The system is further designed to stop you from getting a shot at anyone before they get to their house and log out.

Yes several runUO servers had successful moments with very custom and instanced content. This pales in comparison to this era on OSI - you see that right?

I don't believe people come to UO for instanced pvp. I think other games do it better and are more modern. I think they come to replay something UO did well 15 years ago (not some idea taken from wow.) UO pvp was fast and hard and involved risk. That's what people aren't getting out of wow or league of legends. Put people on foot, take the resource cost out, take out the looting, take out the spontaneity and create a consent only game - and what do you have? One of those games with shittier graphics.
    Punt likes this.
  3. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I bought scrolls with money made from doing BoDs. I had 0 risk taken and got all the rewards.
    The prior events (Halloween) were a veritable grab-bag of holiday coin because we flooded events with participants to get our chance at 0 risk rewards.

So please, don't be stupid.

Also, Pax Romain, what Mes means by "shoved down our throats" is the same thing he means by "browbeating".
    People have opinions they share on a discussion forum and his panties turn to pure gravel whenever he reads words he doesn't like.

No one's forcing you to like it, take part, or stick around. You do so because the shard is the best and you have field fights every day, right? So by all means, continue to try and paint it like I'm choking you out with my opinions and go back to updating your database of characters.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  4. STAVROGIN

spending your bod money on scrolls is a risk too. dont be stupid.
  5. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

How is that a risk? I spend money that is equivalent to the absolutely clear amount of Holiday Coins that WILL be in the final chests. I run the scroll from the privacy of my home where no one can enter the instance.

So while you can call me stupid all you like, you're missing the mark by a long shot.

How much risk does anyone take here, earning 240k gold value in platinum every 30 days....just for being online?
  6. STAVROGIN

thats not trammel, that is clever (non stupid) business that can happen all the time in felucca. the dudes who sold u those scrolls took a risk then by sellin at that price.
    and about earning plat via staying online, 60k (10 plat) for 500 hours online time? its such a very small deal that i need to push myself very hard to be against to it.
  7. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

500 hours of idle time. It's not doing ANYTHING at all. If you're going to debate the lack of risk vs reward, you need that on your list too.

The scroll seller took no risk in selling it to me (check in window, can't be stolen after trade for 30s). They might have taken risk in finding the scroll but even that wasn't terribly risky because the mobs that dropped them didn't spawn in one place over and over. Risk was there but minimal and after that, I took no risk at all. Did I mention I never saw one of those scrolls drop on a corpse and I probably did a dozen instances or more (only one was my own purchased).
  8. STAVROGIN

so u dont like taking risks but your sign is "adventure time"
  9. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

No, that's my guild name, taken from the name of my favorite cartoon.

Where have I ever indicated that I don't like taking risks? Just because I've made it perfectly clear to you that I can do things that have no risks, does not in any way mean that is my only desired play style. I'd play WoW if that were the case.
  10. Pax Romain

Pax Romain Well-Known Member

Were those players funneled from the open world into CTF? I do remember CoM being pretty large when I got here, but they left shortly afterwards for another server. Now it's basically three dudes, none of whom play CTF much. Most of the Minax guys other than Bart and Cynic -- JLeem, Budou, Sandro, Roman, Genocide, Google -- aren't bogged down in CTF, they just aren't playing. And TB is basically dead.

I don't really disagree with you much. I don't think automated PvP events are some huge boon to the PvP population. But I am hard pressed from experience to believe they really detract either. They're just something for current players to do. I'm not sure exactly how you boost the scene, maybe other than trying to build it out of the current population like Roman and Pill are doing, and hope it attracts PvPers from other shards.
  11. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member

*digs through his IPY screenshots*

Miss that guy... he play here?
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  12. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

13. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member

PVP attracts PVPers....

*turtles up in one faction with his homies*
  14. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

It's difficult for me to give a historical account without causing a big shit storm. So I'll just say that there were atleast two periods of very active 3-4 team faction pvp on the server that were both punctuated by players heading to other servers. I don't think it's unusual for the scene to experience highs and lows. But if you were to guess, do you think this server will see a thriving scene again?

Every day CTF becomes more the end game for pvp on this server. And it doesn't help that it is incredibly convenient, there are server messages for it, and you can receive payment for it. But I don't think this is entirely CTF's fault, I think it's a combination of things and not all of them do I understand. As far as CTF's concerned - I think we can say without a doubt it hasn't -helped- as people said it would. If anything it has hurt. Would you have been the kind of player that joined the competitive scene if CTF hadn't shown up? Maybe, maybe not. Would amfekk? I think for some of these people the answer is yes and some of them no - but in no situation can we honestly say CTF helped.

Again I don't think that we should shut down CTF for the sake of the few people that would have looked to open world pvp. If the open world scene gained 5 players and the closed world lost 10, I don't really think that's a success. Why should we rob peter to pay paul? It is a shame we can't seem to have both. More than anything I think that instanced events are not in the spirit of felucca UO. I believe it has been explicitly stated that this was not meant to be a trammel server. I think a tournament ran by players has much more charm than one ran by a system. Why should GM's intervene? Why should they create money to hand out for it?

The other reasons for a slow field scene - there isn't enough new blood. Why, I don't really know. All I can say is there are 10 reds for every blue in dungeons these days. I see new people in irc and the forums but I don't see them much past occlo. And I think it's crucial to have new blood. The current rivalries are too bitter towards each other and trying very hard not to give up another loss. Maybe we should have more challenging and engaging pve systems. Maybe there should be more end game content. I think there's some issues with formation of rivalries. But that's not staff's fault. Noone is chasing those ten reds because they're all buddies. Minax and TB aren't going to fight (each other, or anyone?) no matter what Roman tries to do to prop them up. And I don't mean to hate on him or his idea, we all stand to gain from it. But I have become cynical. I suspect at the end of the day they'll just continue to be extensions of each other. And these are all things that I think are bottle-necking growth of that scene. And some I can't at all explain. There are much worse, poorly thought out servers that are attracting more players.
  15. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I expect at the end of the week, we'll see most of those names at Stormhold again with few, if any, of the CTF detractors in this thread taking part.

PvP will be what PvPers make of it, in closed Trammelized instances or otherwise.

Here is a list of the folks BRAVE enough to try!

1 Elaine Marley
    2 amfeKk
    3 Roman
    4 crooks
    5 Eleint
    6 Zodist Gatis
    7 Francois Villon
    8 TnT
    9 Stavros
    10 Pax Romain
    11 Furbitron
    12 leggo my eggo
    13 U LiNt LiCkEr
    14 Jake
    skratt likes this.
  16. Xegugg

Xegugg Well-Known Member

17. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Basoosh likes this.
  18. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

This is a great idea. Mandevu wants to train people right? Why doesn't Telamon let classes into free-use PvP areas sometimes.
  19. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

hehe
  20. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

I think I agree with the champ.

[​IMG]