Gains

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Dejekt, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Dejekt

Dejekt New Member

Gains on this server are not era accurate at all from the testing I've done so far. They are very slow early on when in this publish gains were fast and didn't start slowing or needing movement based gains until 70+. On OSI I could macro music to 70ish in like an hour by just holding down the key, here I macro'd it for over an hour and only got to around 15 skill. Lots of .1 gains pre-10 in a skill too, which never happened in UO:R.
  2. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Gains seem to be slow, yes. However, once you get over the initial 40-50 skill hump things go smoother until you get up in the 90's. Skillgain is purposly this way to make the characters you create worthwhile, and worth something.
  3. Gharik

Gharik Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

This is all true. There's an actual sense of accomplishment when you GM a skill here. While this shard is 95% era accurate, certain things have been changed for the better of the shard. Nothing here will be handed to anyone. Just ask HC or myself about our journey to GM poisoning. It's probably the most expensive and difficult skill to GM here (Easily 600k), but the sense of accomplishment when it's done? That's priceless.
  4. Dejekt

Dejekt New Member

It's not accurate though. Why make it slower than it was on OSI?
  5. HateCrime

Its far from slower than it was on OSI. I can 7x a character here in a week and a half. Good luck with that on OSI. Skillgain here is only slightly more difficult than UOSA.
  6. Dejekt

Dejekt New Member

It's way slower in the early stages than osi was. And it was easily doable there in less time.
  7. Dejekt

Dejekt New Member

Not really for the better of the shard, theres 0 reason for slower gains, and it's something that punishes and scares away prospective new players. Look at all of the high pop shards, they offer slightly boosted gains, or at least 100% accurate gains so that you can macro up a viable character in a couple days to get started.
  8. Gharik

Gharik Active Member

I managed to macro up a usable character in two days. Was he GM? No. However, he was high enough to start to earn some cash to get started. Slower gains isn't something everyone is going to agree with... but I believe most of the skills have been dialed in. There are only a few that under review to be fixed.
  9. Dejekt

Dejekt New Member

Yeah, then you have have to drop music/peace later. Not to mention instruments aren't suppose to break in this patch yet they do. The worst is trying to gain the combat skills. You ideally want to start healing/resist which means you have to go through that bullshit nightmare for your weapon skill, or give up one of the other skills and suffer for that later on. I did the HARD gains back in pre-t2a when gming anything was hard, I don't have even the slightest interest in slow gains anymore, especially on a free shard. If this is an intentional design decision it should be included somewhere in the FAQ.
  10. HateCrime

*cry* I hear Hybrid still does handouts and gives out skillballs, you might wonna check over there. . . *laughs* "Generation X? No. Generation handout."

:twisted:
  11. Dejekt

Dejekt New Member

Seems a lot better than devs that don't even know how things functioned during the era, and decide to make things more tedious on top of it.
  12. HateCrime

Go play UOSA then, and enjoy all of the "era accuracy". GG sir.
  13. Six

Six Member

Sorry man, but I really don't feel like skill gain is 'too slow' or will scare off new players. One of the huge reasons myself and others moved here is to start fresh on equal footing, making a GM skill a task to complete adds to that sense of accomplishment.

While I can't comment on how fast OSI gains were back in this era (just WAY too far back), I can tell you that my PvP mage NEVER GMed magery - and I was on him daily for months. I also never sat and macroed like I do nowadays, or even just used skills without being in a fight, but I still don't feel like this is tedious. There are plenty of ways to make money for macroing, and this shard isn't full of griefers (yet) that kill macroers in town, so really where's the problem?

You're describing details of a shard you want. Well, guess what? Those shards exist. I for one really enjoy running around on a non-GM character, feeling the pain of grinding mobs with 60ish combat skills, because that's what a game is. Not macroing 4 characters to 7x in a week, and then spending the rest of my time in neon at the bank.
  14. newme

newme Well-Known Member

I've not mastered razor macroing yet, so all my skills are gained the old fashion way. Sitting at computer and doing it. Except super easy ones like hiding
    that you can make a hot key for. Which means I can only work one character at a time.
    I think what you are forgetting is, razor wasn't around "during the day", for me people who use razor for macroing up a character have it easy. :lol:
    And yes, I like the idea of earning gm and it has meaning. When "regular UO" introduced power scrolls, etc. it made GM Skills of little value. Here, when
    you gm either using razor or doing old school, you can pat self on back for job well done.
  15. Pop_NotSoda

Pop_NotSoda New Member

Just curious, but was it also intentional to slow down the gains for skills that we are not allowed to macro unnattended, such as mining? I can understand it if we can still macro unattended, but mining for example is gaining quite slowly, even at really low levels. Either way, I plan on playing on this shard :)
  16. HateCrime

Mining is one of the skills thats on the list to be fixed. Currently its effected by a 5x5 anti macro code (just like the 8x8 code) Thats why its slow.
  17. Gharik

Gharik Active Member

The other two skills that are apart of what I've become to know as the "5x5 problem" are Lumberjacking and Lockpicking. Like I said in an earlier post... they're under review, but will not be fixed until the staff has a more foolproof system. The great thing about the staff here, is they take their time and do it right the first time. So in due time... these will be easier to deal with. For now, I'd advise trying something else, or just biting the bullet. I chose to try something else :)
  18. Dejekt

Dejekt New Member

There aren't really servers like that. And the sheer amount of hours to build a char here is a huge turn-off for someone that gets to play 2 hours a day. UOSA is mid-t2a, and while it is accurate for the pub it picked, the only viable template is a tank mage which is boring. And there aren't a lot of griefers here yet because the population is really low and everyone is trying to level skills. Wait a month or two, then you'll have people at 7x running around making sure new players don't get the opportunities to catch up, on top of the intentionally slowed down system.
  19. Six

Six Member

A lot of people only get a few hours a day. On a brand new swordsman, you can get 1000 aids and 10k gold in 2 hours, and then set up 2 characters macroing for the 22 hours until you come back!
  20. jukeboxhero

jukeboxhero New Member

HERO! ^^ :D