GM Lumberjack from sparring alone

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Blaise, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I understand the original reason for the LJ skill requiring actually hitting trees to GM, was to put a bit of work into it for the bonus damage you'll have in the end, or so I recall. The issue here is that the damage over time is still pretty much on par with macing and crushing blows, so I'd like to suggest that the sparring cap of 65.0 skill, be removed from Lumberjacking. Literally every other combat skill can be trained in the privacy of your home, so why not lumberjack? The class is not so beast (Tamers *cough cough*) that the skillgain should be such a challenge to suit it.

Us Lumberjacks are already taking the hit of dedicating 100 points to that extra damage, so why not give a bit of leeway and allow that to be done by sparring. Boards will still be in the market, but warriors won't be so put off by having to walk around for days hitting trees to finish a character that would have already been done if it were any other template.

Just a thought. Please weigh in. :)
  2. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Lumber-jacking is first and foremost a "mule" skill. So I say NAY to this proposal! :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted:
    :mrgreen:
  3. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

I really like the way that it compliments the board market. I wish there were more skills that worked this way.
  4. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

I'll agree with Blaise here.
    I've worked 2 LJ's, one for PvM and another for PvP.

I collected all the wood during my first trip down Nightmare lane. The second char I had all the wood drop to the ground in an effort to just power through and not worry about running the wood to the bank or walking a packy along with me.

I can say that each time has been excruciatingly painful.

The reward you get after the time and effort of working this skill is not on par with other skills of equal difficulty/annoying-ness.
  5. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

6. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  7. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

Fix'd
  8. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

LJ Axer > War hammer macer, the event proved it and you rarely get max dmg crushing blows. It should not be a gimme skill and should make you claw your eyes out.

NEXT!
  9. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

LJ Axer > War hammer macer and it SHOULD be like this, an LJ is dedicating 100 extra points to the template! This ALONE should give an advantage to the template. Forcing everyone to bang their heads against the wall for the extra 100 points is excessive though.
  10. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Was it like this in-era? NO
    Does the adjustment made on this shard have any un-Trammelizing purpose? NO

For that reason, I think it should be changed back to the way it was in-era. As a general rule, I think the less things that are arbitrarily changed here, the better. Especially basic skills like this. That helps onboard new players faster.

Other reasons I personally would like to see it changed back to its in-era skill gain... one is that it sort of commits you to one template for a while, given how long it takes to train. As someone who likes variety in characters, that's a bummer. The other is that, as Blaise said, it's about the only combat-related skill you can't macro.
  11. Godric Greycliff

Godric Greycliff Well-Known Member

I'm about to start training lumberjacking as soon as I can off-load a house and get a character deleted. With this perspective I'm sure you're all waiting for me to say, "Hell, yeah!" and support Blaise again but... no. I don't know how much this helps the board market or even how tedious the process is but I'll gladly take my stroll down "nightmare lane," as Cynic so eloquently stated. I'd feel cheated if I didn't have to work at it. I don't plan to use my LJ very much and if I don't have to work hard to train him he'll probably end up getting deleted just like the nearly 7x mage that's getting the axe to make room. If it does get changed I hope it's not till I finish this painful process so I can say "back in my day..." to some newbs in the future.

Another thing to think about is this: I watched bart get berated quite a bit last week for being a point and click, no-talent axer. It's too bad because he's so much more than that but it's hard to watch people play that template and say they exibited the same level of skill as their vanquished opponent. Right now people playing this template can at least say they worked hard to get there. If we make it macroable the LJ will just be that much less respectable.

It should also be noted that a nice axe is much easier to come by than a nice warhammer. . .
  12. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Good luck, my advice is to use 4 pack horses and bank when you and the horses are so packed full of hard wood that you are about to explode, then "log" out. Play some stand up comedy in the background and it's a grand ol' time.
  13. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

:shock:
  14. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member

I've got no problem with this. Maybe it would get the price of oak back up, and therefore, ships.

*glances hopefully at his enormous stack of oak boards*
  15. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

FTFY
  16. [Mobolin]

[Mobolin] Active Member

Ummm. YES! This is the way it should be, and the number of people who are against this boggles my effing mind. If you're looking for some tedious task in game make some form of crafter and do it ALL without Razor from 0-GM. 100 dedicated skillpoints to be a LJ is enough "handicap" we don't need punishment by having to whack 100k trees. The special effect has already been decreased, and every warrior on the shard will still tell you whiff rates are abundant.

PLEASE fix this.

With the addition of Carp bods there is never going to be a shortage of boards, plain and simple.
  17. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm fine with leaving it the way it is.....if you give me back my -50 Int concussion blow that basically gimped the fuck out of the class when it was cut to -25.
  18. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member

I roll a hally mage and will be the first to admit that a 50 conc blow will make the class OP. Good luck to any mage who would like to 1v1 me at that point.
  19. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Which is why I liked Mandevu's suggestion about it only being available at GM Lumberjacking....(ie: NOT for your hally tank)

;)
  20. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Maybe if you fight Reapers you can gm LJ. :D