GM Lumberjack from sparring alone

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Blaise, Nov 13, 2013.

1. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Oooh, I see where this is going! "make LJing easy to aquire while sparring, and let them get extra damage + restrict conc blows to only them"... Well played.
  2. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I was implying that if it remains the same, the bonus of all that actual work be the -50 Conc.
    Otherwise, it's just as effective in the field as 100 skill points in macing, truly.
  3. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member

Except its a constant damage addition to your weapon strikes with LJ. Where macing has a chance at a crushing blow, and the power of the blow may vary greatly.
  4. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  5. Cero

Cero Well-Known Member

Can I have a fifth skill to increase my archery dmg, and give me a special attack? :p shameless archery plug!
  6. Azaazel

Azaazel Member

How hard did it used to be? I have been chopping wood non stop for 4 days. It's taken me 2 days from 96.1 to 98.3. I was stuck at 96.1 for 4 hours and 98.1 for 3 hours. I just broke past 98.1 and it went up .2. I have around 90k boards in my bank right now. I was fine with this at first with decent gains but now it's a joke. I'm running with 2-4 llamas filling them to max 1600 stones every time before i run back to the bank and filling myself as well with 360 board.
  7. Wil

Wil Member

That was you? Thanks for the wood man.

Regards,
    Wil
  8. Azaazel

Azaazel Member

After I posted this it took me approximately 8 hours to GM, so not as bad as I thought it was going to be.
  9. Liberation

Liberation Well-Known Member

^ truth

if "it's on par with crushing blows" is going to be your argument,then you might consider that you're doing crushing blow damage every swing and have a chance at concussing.

also, even with the whining about how hard LJ is to GM, there are still a zillion LJs. it's the go-to pvp template for dexxers already, despite its tedious path to completion.
  10. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

I still have no idea why this skill gain requires chopping trees. Is it so people feel like they've "earned it"? Why then can you macro EVERY SINGLE OTHER PVP SKILL unattended, except Lumberjacking?
  11. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Oh damn, Dalavar and I agree on something.
  12. Paradigm

Paradigm Active Member

Facepalm. I can't believe literally the next thread is 'lets change this era accurate thing!'

love you dal ;)
  13. Wil

Wil Member

Howdy,

Why not just have the NPC sell training to 100?

Lumberjacking is about chopping wood so that you can supply your crafter. The main reward is oak logs used for ladders and ships.

I would want to see the axe fighting bonus capped where the fighting gains stop before I'd want to see fighting take the skill to GM. PvPing shouldn't gain you the ability to chop oak logs. That's for those of us who slog through the crafting skill tree.

Regards,
    Wil
  14. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

The "you have to earn it" argument falls apart pretty easily, due to the reason I outlined above. Not only are some other resource gathering skills macroable (Fishing), but all other fighting skills are too. I hope that's not all you've got.

Incorrect! In fact, it's also about doing more damage with axes. In which the main reward is killing stuff faster.
  15. MavisBeacon

MavisBeacon New Member

It seems like a compromise might be in order - gains from sparring, but at a greatly reduced rate than chopping trees. If people want to macro sparring and scratch out gains they can, but it's much faster to gather logs instead. Test the waters and see if it really does inflate board prices or increase how many GM lumberjacks there are.
  16. Dr Jim

Dr Jim New Member

I agree with gaining LJ through sparring. I'm at 98 show real swords and I gain often, but my 56 show real LJ doesn't gain at all. It just seems odd to me. Now I have to go around chopping at trees, a play style my character was not made for, to gain a skill for a play style my character was made for.
  17. Azaazel

Azaazel Member

I'd have to agree. Especially since, with all the chopping I did to get GM LJ the system still allows me hit mobs for 2-8 damage with GM LJ, GM Anat, GM swords and GM Tactics. I haven't quite figured the formula out yet or why this formula would be in place. Yesterday with a brand new Power Hatchet, it took me 2 hits to kill A Headless One LOL.
  18. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

A power hatchet?
    Have you tried a real weapon....lol

I can say with my LJ, running a decent power or vanq double or large battle axe, I get consistent hits in the 20+ damage range, as far up as high 50s and beyond with a high end vanq, while potted up.
  19. Azaazel

Azaazel Member

I was just burning through the hatchets I had to get rid of them. Although Hatchet damage and speed isn't too bad if you go by the damage chart this server is based on. Yes I've used many Axes GM through Power on mobs and get hits in the 3-8 damage range quite often. I don't believe one bit that you hit for 20+ all the time.
  20. Azaazel

Azaazel Member

Hatchet (2-H) 15 1d16+1 (2-17) 40 31-80 Swords

There is zero chance I should ever hit below 12 damage with GM LJ. Now that is with a store bought Hatchet with 0 tactics and 0 Anatomy. Am I missing something? I know it calculates Armor, anat, LJ and tactics prior to the final damage, but come on man!