Gold Sinks

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Paradigm, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I've got another idea for gold sinking !

Sell House Refresh Service deeds. They have a one time use and refresh a house for three or six months at once. Good for players that leave the shard for a while and want to keep their house safe from decay.

Additional character slot for accounts. Sell the 6th character slot for ... 1 mil ?
    That's interesting for the very vet players that actually have all 15 available slots filled ...

Another thing I wanted to propose earlier on were player teleporters from house to house.
    You can buy them for a very high price and get two matching deeds for a pentagram like object.
    Place them in two different houses and you can teleport back and forth instantly between the two houses.
    It won't cost you regs BUT it will cost you a lot of for the upkeep. It will make mostly sense for Guilds that want to connect their guild town to a moon gate or a city of their choice.
  2. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

Everyone is missing AlexCCCP's idea. Doesn't anybody want to discuss in town housing?

Since this would be a complete new thing it could incorporate many of the housing ideas previously discussed without impacting standard housing.

Some ideas off the top of my head

1. Starting price is ridiculously high in the high millions?
    2. Taxes to upkeep would absolutely apply again at ridiculously high rates (curse that king brit)
    3. Common house functions all cost extra. Starting out home would only come with furniture and allow insta log. Lockable doors? Secure chests? Lockdown items? All extra ridiculous prices.

measures would need to be added to prevent exploitation.
  3. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

Haha. Not sure if this will favor my idea, but in town housing was one if Richard Garriot's key selling points for his new kick start project. I say we take his idea and PERFECT it!! Wooooooo!
  4. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

While I'd be all for in-town housing, it's a very big departure from the Renaissance era. I think at that point you're basically saying this is now a custom shard instead of a Renaissance era shard. I personally don't have a problem with that, but I think many would.
  5. ReZon

ReZon Well-Known Member

I'm all for gold sink ideas that are reasonable and maintain the era-accuracy/perfection mantra of this Renaissance shard, and I have complete confidence in the awesome staff we have here to make good decisions about these kind of things.

Hail UOR!
  6. AlexCCCP

AlexCCCP Well-Known Member

Thanks, Jupiter. I thought I'd at least get a STFU for the notion, hehe.
  7. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Player vendors in Guard Zones is a bad idea. Player housing? Perhaps, to have your own locked door and lockdowns that you don't have to refresh you only need to have the gold in the bank to cover the rent.
  8. [Mobolin]

[Mobolin] Active Member

Let's also lower the price on taxidermy kits to about 50k. Do this and I'll "sink" my gold into owning two of each! :p
  9. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Now the question is...would you be able to recall into those buldings like you can now?
  10. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't really see much of them around. I'd probably have a set at 50k. The only ones I ever had were the ones EriZ sold for 100k each or something.
  11. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

I've seen those Taxidermy Kits. What do they do?
  12. boothby

boothby Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if customizable housing has been discussed here before (I know it's out of era, but there are several out of era additions here so I thought I'd mention it).

From what I remember on OSI, it cost about ~150k to customize a house the size of a villa. That would definitely provide a decent gold sink. This method could be expanded by increasing the base cost of a custom house (ie, a villa costs 195k, so to place a custom plot of the same size it would cost 400k + the fees from construction)
  13. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

5 mil to reskin a fort, castle, keep, or tower to marble, sandstone, or shadowstone.
  14. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member

100k double bank box size deed :)
  15. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member

Win. People would want this. People would pay for this.
  16. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  17. Ningauble

Ningauble Active Member

I like the pay-for quest idea. As a former "rich trammie" from Sonoma I can say that people pay money for fluff. The game is full of things that could be potential rewards that wouldn't infringe on the rares or plat reward market because its artwork unavailable to players but would make for great deco. Things like archery buttes, decorative weapon racks, wall curtains, display cabinets, etc. Perhaps hedges, lamp posts, flower beds, fire pits, etc that could be placed either in a courtyard or that one tile strip in front of the house next to the steps. The items could either be account-bound or in the case of a hedge, become part of the house in essence.

The quests could scale in price according to the "coolness" or difficulty of the quest and be designed to get players into the lesser-utilized areas of the game. Perhaps a quest deed that functions like a BOD that needs to be filled with uniquely-named or hued drop items that only drop to players on that quest.

An example would be a hedge tile might require a certain dirt dropped by earth elementals, branched dropped by reapers, leaves or something from corpsers or swamp tentacles, etc. More time spent farming lower-end, lower pay out critters would also mean less time spent farming EG's or Destard. Would also create new hunting grounds for the redder residents of the shard.

Fluff sells. It always has. Personally I'm a sucker for it. On Sonoma I'd spend fortunes on things like attached silverware just to have a properly set table, etc. I have 17 camo patterns on my Planetside 2 toon. In WOW I collected fluff pets and spent a bundle on those. I would buy these quests right and left and I'm nowhere near wealthy here as I just recently started.
  18. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

As the server now has a bit of history and a great deal more activity in our last 6 months I will be adding a new feature to the world item database in the following weeks.

In any conversation about gold sinks and the servers economy it is important to isolate the amount of a resource that is in circulation vs the amount that has gone out of circulation. Ergo when discussing gold sinks and other mechanics we need to know how much is owned by active players and how much is linked to accounts that are inactive.

We will be accomplishing this with a new process that will run once a month creating a cross reference table for every base item in the world. An additional column will be added to the item detail page indicating the amount of an item currently active in the economy and how many items are linked to accounts that have not be accessed in over 90 days.

Item Details - Runebooks

So on the page shown above the Total Count/Value column would be the active amount in circulation and an additional column would be added to show items that have been mothballed.

This will allow us to do a variety of things for normal items, better allow the players to establish the value of their items, allow the staff to re-introduce server up (unique rares) that have gone out of circulation and look at the discussion of gold sinks in more accurate terms.

Currently there is around 192 million gold on the server. In the 435 days the server has been active this accounts for about 440k a day. For every 100 gold added to the server, 85-90 gold is removed by the standard gold sinks that exist. (Purchasing from vendors, Vanity vendors, House Deeds, etc). ie. out of 4 million gold generated a day across all players, only 10% goes into circulation as active currency.

With the advent of this new database tool we should be able to more accurately review the gold in circulation and determine the accurate level of inflation. Once we factor in gold held on inactive accounts the daily economy growth could be as low as 100k-150k a day.

Going forward we intend to incorporate a guild add-on system that will be simple for the staff to implement and easy for guilds and townships to improve their communities. This system will be based around a monthly fee in gold. Each item used for decoration will be linked to a house, and require a small amount of gold upkeep each month. This upkeep will be able to be paid by anyone friended to the house from the house sign at any time. Players may pre-pay for these additions as well. This will effectively remove the gold from the economy and give us that last 5-10% gold outlay that will continue to stabilize the gold in/out aspect of the server even more.

As we take small steps like this we have the unique ability to review the data live on the website to see the effect these steps have on the economy. So in the end the players see the smallest amount of changes that generate the greatest impact.

For reference the most effective gold sinks at the moment are:

• Placed Houses (House Decay): 250,975,500 Gold Value: (844 Total Houses)
      • Fortress: 76,939,200(39)
      • Castle: 23,524,400 (23)
      • Large Keep/Keep: 51,073,200 (65)
      • Tower: 37,688,400 (87)
      • Marble Patio: 6,528,000 (34)
      • Patio: 7,334,400 (48)
      • Large Brick: 5,057,500 (35)
      • 2 Story House: 3,655,600 (19)
      • Villa: 9,828,000 (72)
      • Log Cabin: 4,085,700 (43)
      • Sandstone Patio: 3,956,000 (4)
      • Small Tower: 8,053,500 (91)
      • Marble Shop: 3,717,000 (59)
      • Stone Shop: 2,079,000 (33
      • Small House: 6,832,800 (156)
    • Reagents: 67,403,240 Gold Value
    • Vanity Vendor: 50-75 million
      • (3-10 million in sales each month.)
  19. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Awesome ideas. How do you define inactive or mothballed?

Be ready, of course, for the first (of many) "OMGWTF you added more of my server rare, but I was totally active, now it's worth less!!!1!"!
  20. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Ahh that is a good idea, lower entry anyone can purchase "Citizen of Britain" to some more expensive limited quantity like "Duke of Trinsic". Maybe 5 can be "Royal Guard of Serpents Hold".