Gold Sinks

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Paradigm, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Wil

Wil Member

Actually, you could build it into a whole anti-hero quest. First you have to find some revolutionary at the bottom of a dungeon who will sell you kingslaying plans for 1MG. Then you have to use the plans with various blacksmiths and tailors, each of which will charge you 1M gold to put together their specific piece of the guard disguise, a set of armor and clothes which when worn turns your avatar into a guard. But each time you do one of these things you lose 15k karma and have to build yourself back up to positive karma before the next guy is willing to do the work.

Then you do some quests for LB while disguised as a guard (each costing you 1MG). Solve the guard strike in Minoc. Ransom Gwenno from the brigands. Until eventually he trusts you enough to name you his Knight Protector. Then you have to do some quests to get the ingots and tools to forge the Headsman's Axe. And you have to convince Lord British to let you hire an executioner. Finally you trick LB (as his Knight Protector) into visiting the headsman and *whack*.

After a month or two, the Ghost of Lord British starts hanging around the Brit GY. If you use Spirit Speak he'll tell you about the special reagents and spell scrolls needed to resurrect him. etc. etc.

Ever since the cannons of Ultima III there's been a tradition of finding the quirk that let's you kill Lord British. Turn it into a quest here and use it to draw excess gold out of the system.
  2. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

A quest involved gold sink would be awesome indeed
  3. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

For 1 billion gold, all players, NPCs, and monsters, take on your likeness for 24 hours.
  4. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

I knew it! Basoosh has a god complex! Haha

I like most of the ideas that convert gold into a perishable item.
  5. Cero

Cero Well-Known Member

If you all have too much gold I will gladly take some off your hands...i love to spend!!!
  6. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

1m gold for a heroes enchantment. It imbues your weapon with a 1-hit kill on it's next target. A deed (blessed) that sits in your pack and when that red who's been terrorizing you shows up, you use it on your weapon and boom, 1 hit, done. 1m gold, well spent. :p
  7. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

How about get gudder :p
    Andersonius likes this.
  8. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Come on man, I just want my glass sword back from Ultima VII.
    Andersonius and PaddyOBrien like this.
  9. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Andersonius likes this.
  10. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

11. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

I see what you did there
  12. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

I've updated the World Economy page on the myRenaissance section of the website to provide a bit more insight into this discussion.

http://www.uorenaissance.com/?page=m_worldeconomy

You can also view more details on each of the inidiviaul items in the world as well.

Active items are controlled by accounts that have been logged into in the last 90 days, inactive items are in the bank or on the character of a player who has not been active in the last 90 days.

http://www.uorenaissance.com/?page=m_items&fn=G
  13. Paradigm

Paradigm Active Member

fun idea:

What if concordance with "Clean up Britannia", players could donate money/plat to a city of their choice. This city could then get addons from the Admins.

Consider: Blaise asking for a Blacksmith in Yew, or the new tavern/stables in Moonglow.

How cool would it be to rally your friends together, and put 2 million in to purchasing/repurposing some of the Buc's Den buildings.

Simply add then functionality to a banker npc, drag a check on them or say 'Town Balance' to see how rich your town was! Queue the Era Accurate,et al.
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  14. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Actually, vendors did typically vary from shard to shard in-era, based on additional GM placement. I typically want us to stay as close to era as possible, for the benefit of new players mostly, but this seems like a great idea IMO. As long as it's things like vendors, and not neon green polar bear rugs in Brit bank.

I was just thinking the other day about some fun stuff to do with those empty shacks in Buc's.
  15. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

That a novel idea, with limited coding work.

Rather than donating to the town specifically, we could develop an item that would be placed outside a vacant shop. The staff would pick a variety of options available, such as a stable/blacksmith/tailor that suit the location and set a value on the shop. Commodity deeds, gold, platinum could be used to finance the new shop and once opened a plaque could be placed outside the shop honoring the largest donors.

There could also be a specific amount of each item required to get the shop opened as well. The shop type could be determined by the community in the form of forum polls, or in votes collected at the donation time, with minimal required donations for your vote to count.

For Example

Coming Soon - Yew IronWorks

Funding Status
    • 123,456 of 1,000,000 Gold
    • 10,000 of 50,000 Boards
    • 12 of 100 Platinum
    PaddyOBrien and Eddard Vahanian like this.
  16. Ciet

Ciet Active Member

I like this idea a lot. Gives a reason to use some of the useless houses in a town
  17. Nymeros

Nymeros Well-Known Member

What about paying to change skill titles?

It's done alphabetically i think, so if you're GM Anatomy and GM Fencer, you will always be Grandmaster Biologist.

But if someone wants to see Grandmaster Fencer, you can pay a million to see that? Or whatever you have above 98.1.
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  18. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Still going to say, township stones!
  19. Swizzlesticks

Swizzlesticks Active Member

I believe if you lock a skill then that one wont display as your skill title..so just lock the ones you don't want and leave the one you do turned up.
  20. Theodin

Theodin Well-Known Member

If you want my plat, or gold if I don't have enough, add more ethies and my plat will dissapear faster than houdini
    Animal Control likes this.