Golem Shovels/Mining

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by bart simpson, Jul 29, 2015.

1. AlexCCCP

AlexCCCP Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

No way am I gonna be fill a 20x plate lbod and keep my sanity without gargolye shovels.

Also my mining rate is much slower than elhornos, no damn way I yield 10k ingots an hour using a slayer axe.
  2. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I think there's some flex there, actually.

Also, I didn't mean to say that traditional mining couldn't sustain, just that as-is we wouldn't be able to without NPC ingots.

I really think there is a middle ground to be found.
  3. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

In default runUO there are no item use delays, and no proper harvesting delays. It took us a while to determine, as the code specifically referenced such a delay but players were able to cycle between a pickaxe, shovel, pickaxe and mine 1.75/2 times a second.

On OSI in 1999 you could mine the same way, however only one mining attempt every 1.6 seconds was considered valid. So you could spam your mine macro, but you would still mine at the same speed no matter how many times your pick hit the wall.

Our current mechanics allow a single mining attempt every 1.4 seconds. The only other restriction for timing is an 11 second delay when recall mining in town limits. (You must wait 11 seconds after recalling into town before starting a harvesting action). This is simply to encourage players who want to recall mine, to find spots outside of town limits to do so. Leaving in town spots for classic miners.

The other core fault with RunUO is the lack of failures having an impact on the vein results. So if a player with 100 mining went to a valorite spot 2 years ago, they could mine anywhere from 16 to 32 to 40 times until they received 16 successful ore results from the vein. This was another RunUO inconsistency as no vein should provide more than 16 results, success of fail.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  4. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

It seems the solution to this would have been to request a skill check on summoning/using the shovels tied to mining.
  5. LanDarr

LanDarr Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor

ABSOFREAKINGLUTELY !

I can't tell you how pissed and disappointed I was to learn that non miners could use these things. I wont go into all the previous mining changes and how the "nerfs" have ruined my miner gameplay. But the shovels should absolutely be tied to the mining skill, at the same level that it would take to mine them traditionally. Otherwise the ONLY reason to have mining would be to smelt ore and blacksmith failures.
    Geo likes this.
  6. AlexCCCP

AlexCCCP Well-Known Member

Frig that, regular mining sucks shit and I don't wanna go out and make a battle miner to use shovels.
    Why are we acting like there's an issue, the market is still chronically short of ingots.
    Basoosh and LanDarr like this.
  7. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

I personally think that iron shovels should be removed in favor of more colored shovels dropping cosnidering iron is in great supply via NpC vendors as it is. It currently takes 30~ shovels to fill a 20x plate lbod, that's way too much for my taste. I agree with several people here who have already made the case that golem mining should definitely be faster than traditional due to the risk involved and the fact that you have to exhaust a relatively expensive item in the process.
  8. Geo

Geo Active Member

perhaps no one is mining because npc vendors sell at a rate that makes mining not profitable. Theres your shortage right there.
  9. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

I feel like you're only referring to iron here. There's still a huge market for colored ingots
  10. Geo

Geo Active Member

yeah i was thinking about iron. IM working up blacksmith as we speak so Im kind of in a different area. I have found so far though that traditional mining is 100% a waste of time for generating colored ingots. It could take 40 circuits to get as many colored ingots as I get from one garg shovel or alternatively one ore golem gets as many colored ingots as 10 circuits making traditional mining a joke for BOD ingot levels.

I do think however that shovels should 100% be tied to mining skill or else why do we even keep mining in the game? (note I say that as someone brought back by the nostalgia of mining)
  11. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm all for tieing mining to shovels as well
    Geo likes this.
  12. Savage

Savage Well-Known Member

I don't understand how it should ever be possible for a character with zero "Mining Skill" to haul in more Ingots then a character with 100 Mining.
    Why should we have a Mining Skill if you can "Twink Mine"? and if you're gonna "Twink Mine", I think you should at least have to drag an alt in there with Mining to do it. I have no problem with Shovels/Picks/Elems/Golems, but if it's Ore/Ingot related, it should be tied to Mining imo.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    Basoosh, ReZon, Heretic and 1 other person like this.
  13. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

It seems to me that all it needed was a thread where this problem is mentioned to Chris. And I am guilty too, I wondered, but didn't react.
    LanDarr likes this.
  14. LanDarr

Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor

Very simply, there is no other in game skill that is circumvented by an object like gargoyle shovels do for mining

With those objects you no longer have to have the mining skill to get ore.

What if there was an object that allowed you to control Dragons, Wyrms and Mares with ZERO taming. Leather armor that gave you 100% meditation with ZERO meditation skill. Hell this borders on 100% reg reduction suits.

NO MORE FREE MINING !
    Geo likes this.
  15. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

I think that's a little extreme, it's not like people didn't need mining to smelt the ore so you'd have to compare it to something that allows you to tame wyrms and dragons with 0 taming but can't control them.
    LanDarr likes this.
  16. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    LanDarr likes this.
  17. LanDarr

Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor

I agree mining sucks and making a battle miner, which came with the trolls not golems, was a huge pain in the ass. HOWEVER, Golems & Golem Lords CAN be solo'd by a single battle miner. And he can bring friends to help. i.e. we each have 2 other accts.

My perfect solution that suits me best is to eliminate trolls and golems, but I think we have gone too far down that path.
  18. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

Landarr, didn't you learn from the other thread: Here, you don't compare ANYTHING to taming. That's a tabu. (100% agreement btw.)
    LanDarr likes this.
  19. LanDarr

Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor

Perhaps a bit extreme, and not a perfect analogy. However look at lumberjacking, what if you could get LOGs on any toon by using a special ax, or even Oak by using an Oak Runic Ax? Then all you had to do was send out your most capable toon (survival wise) Gather up logs and bring them back to your LJ to turn into boards.

To the taming question cause I just am argumentative. What if I had a Taming Ball that guaranteed I could tame high end animals, but couldn't control them, I could only pass them off to someone who could use them. Hopefully my analogy fits closer this time :)

Thanks Kane
    Kane likes this.
  20. LanDarr

Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor

OH SNAP you are right!!! I fell into the 2nd most fatal trap... the first being getting into a land war in asia.
    Ragnarok, Geo and BlackEye like this.