Greetings: New Player

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by sackcrete, Feb 17, 2017.

1. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

1. for your described intent, yes that sounds correct

2. 100 strength 100 dexterity 25 intelligence - if you are sticking to hunting golems only :: if not, please clarify as stats might need to change

3. You've chosen a difficult but possible path with this. You're going to want to focus on magery first and adjust your stats accordingly for it. You'll want to temporarily raise meditation as well. To reiterate, it's my opinion you do this first before training anything else. That said, this decision will temporarily sideline your character and become cost producing. I would anticipate pushing out approximately 50-55k gold for this skill.

IRC wylwrk to suss out the details if this is something you think you want to do and are curious about time saving techniques / etc.
    RIN likes this.
  2. RIN

RIN Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

As this character is going to have Magery but end up as a Dexer, it would be best as @wylwrk advised to GM magery first.

But before you do that... you will need to fund your magery gains, but won't be able to do that using the character's dex skills, since your stats will be out of whack. My recommendation is to create a new mage bard with 50 provoke/magery. You can easily GM music and provoke on ocllo and then start farming monsters using provoke and blade spirits. This character can then fund the magery costs on your main.

Then once you are ready to work on magery, make sure you lock eval to minimize the damage and farm a boat load of bandages from the cotton fields. Since you will have healing as one of your end skills you can easily do a "cast on yourself" macro with self healing. You'll gm magery and have GM meditation and 90-ish healing/anatomy/resist. Now you can drop the GM meditation and 90-ish resist, and start working on GMing your mining and dex skills. See if @ReZon has any vacancies in his new player housing so you can spar safely.

EDIT: Oh and by the way... now is the time to farm the gold you need as all of the PK's are busy with the Valentine's Day event. Get out there and farm before they go back to hunting people at the popular spots.
    ReZon and Lord Krake like this.
  3. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Oh, I am however buying cloth.

I'll buy at 3gp per... I need about 50-55,000 gold's worth. Give or take... ;)
  4. sackcrete

sackcrete New Member

I just wanted to come back and say a big THANK YOU to everyone for getting me going via this thread. Everyone has been extremely helpful, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be one of the elite on this server in the next 12 months lol ;)

Thank you guys again!! I'm looking forward to eventually seeing more of you in game.
    RIN, Puck, wylwrk and 2 others like this.
  5. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

6. sackcrete

sackcrete New Member

Hello all!

I figured it would be best to re-use the same thread from the past as it remains relevant with my goals. I am officially finished with school and am coming into some more downtime (Hooray!) in my life. I have been following the new players guide, and am having an absolute blast at making my template slowly come to fruition. Goal refresher:

First char - Battleminer (gold maker and resources gatherer for future crafter)
    Swordsmanship, Tactics, LJ, Anatomy, Healing, Magery, Mining

100 Str/100 Dex/25 Int

Now, I am realizing how hard it will be to raise magery. The good news is, I have the 50,000 gold needed to level it as suggested above. The bad news, I have no clue what to do next haha :p

Thanks guys!
    Aragorn - OCT likes this.
  7. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

"~ Gaining Magery without Resisting Spells ~
    Training magery without Resisting Spells is less expensive and you can macro in town.
    ♦ 0-30 : Training from NPC Mage (costs 200-300 gold)
    ♦ 30-40 : Cast Third Circle
    ♦ 40-55 : Cast Fourth Circle
    ♦ 55-65 : Cast Fifth Circle
    ♦ 65-80 : Cast Sixth Circle
    ♦ 80-95 : Cast Seventh Circle
    ♦ 95-100 : Cast Seventh or Eighth Circle"

Follow this guide! ^

More info: http://www.uorenaissance.com/info/Magery
  8. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

most common spells used to gain magery can target your spellbook to avoid damage... (invis, ebolt, fs, res)
    a white zombie likes this.
  9. RIN

RIN Well-Known Member

Here you go man:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=88419716253004762363

This is a link to a .zip file of my 3 "cast on yourself" magery gain macros. Basically 50-GM, Lightning / EB / FS.

Let me know if you need help with them.

EDIT: This is assuming you would follow this path:

10. RIN

RIN Well-Known Member

I thought he wanted healing gains... so casting on yourself is what he wants.
  11. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Why have you chose to GM magery?
  12. Nusir

Nusir Well-Known Member

Welcome to UO:R

i only skim read the replies after a while, I am newish here myself (3rd month) and play for a very limited time when possible so have had to try to hit the ground running so my advice for you is the following.

1, make a peace dexxer
    http://uorforum.com/threads/the-peacemaking-dexxer-and-you-a-guide.2897/

2, make a crafter (mule)
    Blacksmith - http://uorforum.com/threads/gming-blacksmithing-under-40k-ingots.7094/
    Carpentry - http://uorforum.com/threads/skill-gain-guide-carpentry.3769/
    Tailoring - http://uorforum.com/threads/tailoring-30-100.11498/#post-241182
    everything else - http://uorforum.com/threads/one-guide-to-rule-them-all-one-guide-to-find-them.682/

3, Buy a house (there are plenty of spaces for a small house near the mountains)

once you have the Peace Dexxer (any weapon skill works) you will be able to take on most, if not all of the small monsters you will come across in game and this includes the ore Golems that drop ores (more fun than mining) and this will be your main money maker till you decide to do something else like a Tamer.
    remember you can have 3 accounts... 15 charterers

have a read of "the one guide to rule them all" to get started and then when it comes to a house you will be able to buy the deed from a NPC vendor and place it (price lists)

best of luck and have fun!
    Cheapsuit likes this.
  13. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  14. Lord Krake

Lord Krake Well-Known Member

Project Sanctuary and Rezon both offer new player housing. Contact either of those parties for a home to use while you build up enough money to get your own!
  15. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

16. Leopold

Leopold Well-Known Member

Welcome! I've been here about 3 months and have had a blast. There are so many great people on here UOR. Give it a chance and you'll have a lot of fun.

Some of the best advice I was given when I started was:
    - Build a provo-mage, provo-dexer or a peace dexer for farming while young in the newbie dungeon
    - Take advantage of the young program and don't leave before you are ready, but don't get too comfortable because you will soon be in the "real world".
    - Ask questions in general IRC
    - Read the excellent guides on the UOR forums and website
    Aragorn - OCT, newme and wylwrk like this.
  17. sackcrete

sackcrete New Member

Thank you all for the guides/tips on leveling magery, as well as the offered help.

wylwrk, not to be weird, but I actually enjoyed your company in game haha. I hope we get to play more together once I advance in my UO career. I'm going to be somewhat slow, most likely, however. As to your question, I'm by no means a no-it-all at this and am absolutely open to changing my plan. In fact, I had read in the LJ skill notes in the compendium that it would be a waste to have a crafter use lumberjacking as it as somewhat difficult to raise and provides a large boost to a pure dexxer. I just feel like a battleminer would be really fun, but perhaps I should use a mace on that guy and make this one a dexxer and farm monsters. For magery, everything I've read says to max it on a battleminer as it provides an easy way to a) get everything out before you get PK'd and b) travel in general. Is this not the case?
  18. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

I'm presently re-evaluating the benefit of GM magery (no med) on a dexxer. Anyway, considering your response here's food for thought...

recall
    11 mana
    70.1 for 99% chance to cast
    50.1 for 99% chance to cast with a scroll

gate travel
    40 mana
    100 for 85% chance to cast
    80.1 for 99% chance to cast with a scroll according to the compendium << I'm not so sure about this, I think it's more like 78.1 as 7th and 8th are calc'd differently
    One likes this.
  19. sackcrete

sackcrete New Member

Hmm, so say 80.1% was the desirable number in order to gate (I don't fully know if that's what I would need, but it seems that way) with a scroll, what would the other 20 percent be best spent on? I'm guessing whatever I want for the fun factor? Also, I'm having a hard time finding a pure dexxer template as they all seem to have some sort of mix with provo, magery, etc, or is that the concept?
  20. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

I think the dilemma you're facing regarding your forum research is that some of those templates are designed around multi-boxxing a 2nd and even 3rd account for utility purposes.

Others (for example) that highlight a "battleminer" are designed to do just that, wreck golems. No need to recall or any of that other jazz.... let an alt do it, or work out of a nicely located house near a cave for the spawn. This cuts out the nostalgia and gets to the point with skill choice.

If you're looking for a main (for now) character to run around on and be flexible with what you chose to spend your game time doing then yeah, sure magery fits the bill. I don't know that you're going to need to gate or not... that's up to you however consider the mana cost into your stats.

Actually

tactics
    weapon
    anat
    heal
    blacksmith
    mining
    magery

or

lumberjacking with a taxi mage alt... with provo/discordance

craft, hunt, "battle" mine - an all arounder imo