Gumps and idoc timers

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Jack of Shadows, Dec 14, 2016.

Should afk gumps be added to prevent afk reg buying and on item iding house signs?

1. Yes, gumps should be added to both and idoc timers randomized

61.2%
  2. Gump should be added to afk reg buying and item id on house signs only

16.3%
  3. no gumps

22.4%
  1. Attila

Attila Active Member

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Cynic likes this.
  2. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  3. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

4 pages in...

why did i vote? why did i get sucked in?

There is clearly a world out there that I just don't understand.

All I know is I have barely had the personal time available to dedicate to such an invested effort. When I can log in I'd prefer to adventure and meet people. Any time I have acquired things I've just ended up hording them until i can derive a way to creatively use them. i have no bone to pick in this as i never plan to reschedule my play time around an IDOC.

If it so happens that one falls at the same time i happen to be able to play, then i might visit, but otherwise count me out. out of service. out of africa, i wouldn't hang about.

I wonder how many chests full of 125 items are out there that may never get used...
    Pirul, Vandalin and Alex Caember like this.
  4. Air

Air Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

[​IMG]
  5. Air

Air Well-Known Member

Tpain and Jupiter like this.
  6. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

@Mes is absolutely right. I voted against the change because it does effect me negatively. I have nothing to hide and it would be ridiculous to say that it wouldn't bother me one bit.

I will say, however, that it won't change much. I said it earlier too. We have a large group that can and will (and still does right now) manually time IDOCs. That's to say we physically click the sign and log times down. So, you can take away the ability of a macro to do this unattended but it changes little for an organized group. What it will result in is the pouring of tears when the usual suspects recall in 15 minutes before drop and clear our the solo's that have been camping the house for the better part of a day.

I voted no to changes. I won't lose any sleep if item ID is removed, however.

Reasonably I see no changes happening, though. This is an aspect of the game that's been absolutely fine up to recently when Jack got his panties in a bunch at an IDOC.

I second what Gideon said earlier as well. If we were such greedy assholes we would still be doing champs and harrowers, un-challenged. We would be dominating the rares market and probably BODs as well.

We pick up items that are going to decay. Just like any other aspect of this game where you invest time and energy into, you're not willing to share with outsiders. It's not greed, it's UO. That's like me asking Mes for permission to have the towns one week so I can farm regs from the vendors. He'd laugh and laugh and laugh. He's not going to just let me have the towns, and it's not because of greed, it's because this is UO and that's not how any of this works.

[​IMG]
    Cero and Jupiter like this.
  7. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone is on trial for being greedy. I mean, you guys are greedy, but you aren't on trial for it. Someone proposed some changes to make idoc'ing and reg buying less automated.

And as you already know well, the outcome of this thread doesn't matter. There won't be any changes.
  8. Tpain

Tpain Active Member

Definitely not expecting anything to change. Like Mes said, this servers direction is pretty well set.

I would love to see all the items in a house decay with it though, imagine the value of things then!
    On the other hand, I think the pvp part could be greatly increased if items do drop, and its made public for more players to attend. Seems like a good thing to me, to get people doing things that other players are actively out doing.

Thanks for for conversation. I dont know about you but I feel pretty good about UOR today
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    PaddyOBrien and Gideon Jura like this.
  9. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

You can call us greedy until you're blue in the face but the reality is some of us are the most charitable people on the server.

Not just in gold but in time as well.

Gideon, alone, blows a lot of people out of the water with things he's done and continues to do for this server. A lot of it being behind the scenes.

There's not one person I play with that'll bat an eye to help anyone out.

I mean, being called greedy by infamous murderers, thieves, and house looters is comical.
  10. The Crooked Warden

The Crooked Warden Well-Known Member

Initially, I voted for the change but after reading this response from @Pirul , I don't think a gump should be added. While I too enjoy going to IDOCs and rarely do I get a good timer, using a bot to click a sign doesn't garuntee any resource or even produce a chance of a resource appearing (i.e. Fishing). With just a good timer, you're still required to show up and battle it out with the rest of the folks for just a SHOT at any goods.
  11. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

I was trying to stop by one more time to just remind of this.

Almost immediately the discussion went from the merits of the idea to a debate about who "wins" and who "loses" as a result of the proposed change. If it's the right thing to do, it should be easy to argue in favor of it without personal attacks or scorekeeping. And if it's the wrong thing to do, it should be easy to argue against it without personal attacks or scorekeeping.
    Xegugg, BlackEye and Gideon Jura like this.
  12. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

again, you're not on trial for being greedy

whether you consider yourself greedy or charitable is not relevant to this discussion

stop trying to use this as part of the argument
    Tpain likes this.
  13. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I don't know what event you're talking about @CaptainMorgan wtf is going on here?

Edited because I brainfarted and @'d Gideon instead of Captain Morgan for whatever reason. lol
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  14. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Oh come on, surely you remember. It's the one where everyone with torches and pitchforks gathers in the town square and burns your effigy while chanting defaming mantras.

I look forward to it every year.
  15. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

QFT
    Pirul likes this.
  16. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

This thread delivered everything I wanted and more.

Fantastic

[​IMG]

And it's not about greed, it's about not being able to automate so much. If you have to manually click signs to get a timer = better. Randomized timers = better, at the very least it puts some variety and a little more effort needed to idoc. I believe it'll break up the monopoly a little as well.

On the afk reg buying I watched Jack White afk buy hundreds of thousands of stones of regs afk in a house from a faction vendor outside and there is always someone in Del spamming a reg buying macro, it's simply not how this game was meant to be played. Take the time and manually buy your regs *gasp*

I do love the iderpomos reaction, monopolies aren't good for anything except near absolute control and profit for a very few, if the automated system were broken up and you had to manually do things a little more, and had to watch for an 8 -48 hour window of a house falling, then yes I do think there would be more challenge to your style of play and it would open up competition.

But yep, thread delivered.

Rayth and BlackEye like this.
  17. Ron Jeremy

Ron Jeremy Well-Known Member

FFS you're all a bunch of whinny little babbies. I always stay out of this stuff but my god do you really hear yourself? if you make everything in a house DELETE at house fall and take this part of the game away that would be great! But then people will only start complaining about the "next thing" that they feel like they're loosing out on. Where does all of this stop?! Where is the line?! It's always complaining...

There are groups in every part of the game that are very dedicated to what they do and very efficient.
    We should definitely STOP afk filling bods with razor because some people have put a lot of time in and gotten val hammers, CBDs and Mask Dyes (we can't have that now)
    We should CANCEL CHRISTMAS!!! because some people will put in hours upon hours and have trained afk skills particularly for this event and make 40+ Million (we can't have that now)
    We should STOP champ spawns because you can't go get your FREE BERNIE PLAT ANYMORE (we can't have that now)
    We should put a stop to the black eyes of the world that spend countless hours waiting to slip in your front door and loot your house and score millions in one swoop. (we can't have that now)
    We should remove the stealing skill from the game because I've seen the players above in ONE skill use pull over a million gold! (we can't have that now)

Ok wait wait, I realize I'm being very naive here... The fix for this is really really simple... We should implement a tax on all of these things so when wealth changes hands you have to report it and pay tax for pulling a valorite hammer, doing a harrower, or getting a Christmas scroll. Oh and if some schmuck you've played with for years quits and leaves someone millions they should have to pay a gift tax on that. Matter of fact I'd add it to the TOS and if you fail to report these items your stuff will be confiscated and all put back into the system along with the taxes and be redistributed to all the cry babies so they don't feel left out...

CWxLuoqVEAAG_Rd.jpg
  18. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

Oh right, another communism reference. You can run IDOCs all day man, and own them all how much you want. This thread is actually about this and nothing else:

Just play that game. Sitting in front of it. With your hands (even if it's only answering a AFK gump). I know this would be the apocalypse for you guys, but why should we care? It's afk gaming, and it sucks.

You guys pretend, that AFK gumps wouldn't matter, but fight it as strong as you can against them. In reality you need that narrow time windows for the house to drop, else you are heavily screwed. You (= IDERP group not Ron as a person) brought also already at least two fake forum accounts into the poll too just to boost your numbers. It's so pathetic.

Well, and apart from that, we all know that nothing will change. Even when the majority of UOR would demand it.
    Xegugg and Vandalin like this.
  19. Alice Asteroid

Alice Asteroid Well-Known Member

I'm for any fix that removes AFK/automated methods of play.
    One, Xegugg, Jupiter and 2 others like this.
  20. Ron Jeremy

Ron Jeremy Well-Known Member

My whole point is it won't matter if you remove the item ID part. There are many more ways to do this that are NOT gumped and the crying will continue. I do NOT envy you for looting peoples homes, my god the time it takes to look watch and wait, I admire the dedication. If anyone really looked at TCs post you'd truly understand what I'm saying, but instead of learning anything about this it's easier to cry "release your tax returns!"

My end argument would be look at harrowers, they are bar none the best coin in the game and NO one does them, but they love to cry about them.

People vote to randomize house timers, so now if they don't refresh their house and it was +/- 3 hours randomization and their place randomly had -3 hours and it fell but they logged on in the standard window to refresh they would thrown them selves on the forums and cry all over their keyboard again... I'm saying this will never stop, it has always existed since the inception of man and UOR. Where will this all end!? More crying always, always...

What skill will you drop?
    Crying.JPG