How to be a Successful PK

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Pork Fried Rice, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Moxo

Moxo Member

A true hero for our times. Thanks Pork Fried Rice!
  2. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

Specifically more a hero of the morning...
  3. David Scraggs

David Scraggs Well-Known Member

lol slimy ass way of PKing but if it works…The modded client is one thing….I get it but to use all those macros…That is just tasteless. I know the rules allow it and you're using it to it's full or near full potential. The foot stool trick is a good one though….I'll admit. Great guide though!
  4. Mordechai

Mordechai Active Member

if you look at the guy's template it is super obvious that it is designed to hunt down and kill newbies or people who have no hope of fighting back. he sort of points this out. i have zero doubt that he kept a browser window open off to the side to get an idea of the skills / stats on someone's profile before he attacked them.

the majority of his kills are junk kills. they are from places like jhelom farms or random mining caves. you don't rack up hundreds of kills like that and rarely die yourself unless you are killing complete newbies or crafters or people who just can't fight back.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
    dissident likes this.
  5. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

Most my kills are not junk kills. I even had my kills on public for a few days so people could see it wasn't BS. The template gives you a clear advantage of people hunting in dungeons because you can almost pinpoint where they are, and see what type of character they are, allowing you to come into the fight prepared. I utilized a 75 runebook library to ensure I could show up in a dungeon specific to where I need to be in order to get a proper jump on my opponents.

Sure, I repressed tamers in training when the dungeons were clear, but following my advanced tactics concept, it's necessary to prevent gold inflation from moving at an unhealthy pace. This shard makes gold far too easy to obtain as it is.
  6. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

The average tamer training at Jhelom farms plays here for what, 90 days? 180? 365? And you're talking about having a meaningful impact on the economy by removing somewhere between 5 minutes and 8 hours. Please add this to the guide in a special sub-section titled Cognitive Dissonance.
  7. Mordechai

Mordechai Active Member

I wasn't expecting a response to this. Well.

The point that I'm trying to get across is that you don't really die a lot. Period. You sort of have a "legacy" not of being a big scary player killer, but someone who was known to throw cheap shots at newbies before hiding or running and recalling to get away from anyone that could fight back. I don't really have a personal opinion of you, that's just what I've heard about you in mIRC.

From what I had personally seen of you in the game before I quit (granted it was only a month or two before you left) I mostly ran into you in newbie places or spots out in the wilderness where people would be chopping wood or mining ore. In other words, my own view is probably biased because I saw you go after complete newbies or people who had no way of fighting back. When you couple this with the fact that you seem to die only once in a blue moon I can't help but feel that the majority of your kills are junk.

Maybe you could ask Chris to make your kill profile public to disprove that. The "big scary PK" thing is always going to be questionable in my mind though when you rack up hundreds of kills like that and rarely die in the process, though.
  8. Dalavar

He racked up a lot of kills. Easy kills, quick kills, whatever. If that's your goal, so be it. You're going to pick off a disproportionate amount of new players, but if you're chasing a big number of kills on the website, that's how you do it. To try to hide behind intentions of putting the shard first is laughable, and common to a lot of deluded players who don't want to admit to the real reasons for what they did.

In any case, he didn't shit-talk, he ran around deeper in stat than anyone I've ever seen, and he did seek out challenges when they were there as well - for example, running into the EG room that I was in with my 2 dragons and mare. Mental gymnastic justifications aside, there are plenty worse characters in the history of this shard and elsewhere in UO.
  9. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

For the exception of a handul of players on this server you just defined what every PK out there does. I don't really know many PKs who run solo and in deep stat who would actually entertain a fight.
  10. Mordechai

Mordechai Active Member

Yeah, true. It's sad because those are the fights that I enjoy and tend to remember.

Admittedly I don't know a lot about Pork Fried Rice. He was before my time. I know that he had a reputation for not talking trash and having a weird sense of humor, but people in mIRC also joke about him running away from anything that could fight back. I mean, I see what Dalavar has said about him 'seeking out challenges' but it is what it is. That template he has is sorta built for racking up newbie kills.
  11. Dalavar

I saw him twice, both times in the Shame EG rooms, which is about the worst possible place to try to attack a tamer, and both times he attacked my tamer (while in probably 200+ counts of stat). Even if you attack everyone, all the time, you're disproportionately going to show kills on the naked tamers in Jhelom, more than the 7xGMs with 7xGM dragons in the room the size of a stone and plaster house.
  12. Pork Fried Rice

Found these in my PC's razor folder. I played a lot of Linux here but didn't have auto-screenshots while on that. There's about 1380 pictures in this video.

https://vid.me/EuDt
  13. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

I think my prior post in this thread was pretty rude, but I don't think it's true that you have to go for afk people and run from combat to be a successful pk. I run in groups but I solo too, and I fight people at times 2on1. But I use my best judgement about the situation. I decided to stop killing afk/naked people at farms and such a long time ago because it didn't seem much different than killing my alts to me. But you know, there's many ways to play a red and I think PFR's style has always been well liked and he's clearly not a disagreeable guy.
  14. Mordechai

Mordechai Active Member

Yeah, it was sorta rude. I don't think this dude is a bad guy at all, but I just don't see the point in his mindset. It's sort of like what you said about killing your alts, it's meaningless. Though I suppose it goes back to what this guy had said earlier about having the mindset of a "true PK" and that even those kills are a part of this guy's collage in the long run.

I dunno if that video (impressive as it is) helped make the case that he didn't mostly have junk kills. It is a truly impressive kill to death ratio, however.
  15. Slayerik

Slayerik Member

This thread makes me realize just how far I have to go to being a real PK. Good read.
    Halabinder likes this.
  16. Bob

Bob Member

This didn't exactly help your case.
  17. Descartes

Descartes Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

These were the only 2 deaths you had? I see that you claim a 2,335:2 K/D ratio, so I assume that is correct.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. Dalavar

0:1 in PvP with Dalavar Wolfmage

Something doth not compute. I thought I remembered him retraining at least a half-dozen times.
  19. Halabinder

Halabinder Well-Known Member

Fantastic Read. I think PFR has been inactive since I started here but his forum avatar is responsible for many delicious dishes at my house. I get hungry looking at it. I actually have some pork defrosting right now.
  20. Pork Fried Rice

Honestly I use my death ratio provided by Chris's system. I didn't track my own deaths to players.

Those 2 pics alone shed light on why recalling while PKing is important when you play in my shoes. Look at the ganking!