Howdy Folks! New and of course a Tamer Template question...

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Edward Skye, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Edward Skye

Edward Skye Member

Howdy folks! I am excited to say that I am returning to UO after something like 16 years away. I played back in college around 2000. My 7 year old daughter has seen me messing around over the weekend and already demanded I make her a character too, so at least the family will be involved. :)

I have a Tamer template question. Most of the templates I have include Magery and often Music/Provo. I've also seen Tamer-Dexxers mentioned but not a lot of actual breakdown in the skillset. Maybe bad searching skills on my part...When I played in the past, and in about every RP game I play, I am usually a melee character. I like to hit things and would want to fight along side my pets as much as possible, whether that is with a hand weapon or archery. I want to be able to tame the biggest creatures, heal my pets, fight with them, hopefully survive being PKd and make a lot of gold to finally buy a house, which I never got to do my first time playing. The gold thing will probably wane but I want a house! :)

From what I have read, the absolute minimum that I must have to tame the best and fast heals

GM Animal Taming
    GM Animal Lore
    80-100 Vet (with high dex, I think 80 minimum + agility potion?)
    GM Weapon Skill

Then I figure with the last 300-320 skill points some combination of Anatomy/Tactics/Healing/Magery.

Honestly, I would like to get by with the lowest Magery I can and still make this workable (and escape PKs). I would like to be as close to a Warrior-Tamer (maybe that's what folks mean when they say Tamer Dexxer?) as possible but with some safety. Is a high Hiding skill useful to avoid PK?

I also would not be averse to adding in Bard skills if I could keep my Weapon Skill. I am asking a lot there, I know.

Anyway, I appreciate any insights! Thanks!
  2. Edward Skye

Edward Skye Member

Sorry mods, I put this in the wrong board...I had both Guides and Renaissance Discussion open and the wrong place....:(
  3. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

When you mean escape PK's, do you mean escape with my pets, or escape with my life and ditch the pets?

If the latter, then you shouldn't have a problem with low magery, if the former, then you NEED GM Magery...or a VERY good gate-bot set up.
  4. Ahirman

Ahirman Well-Known Member

Welcome to UO:R!

I have a tamer/warrior that I play when I want to play a warrior.

GM Taming
    GM Lore
    GM Vet
    GM Anatomy
    GM Mace
    90 Tactics
    70 Magery
    40 Meditation

85 Str 100 Dex 40 Int

I use one bonded nightmare as my tank.
    I use magery to heal and the mare tanks whatever I'm fighting. With 100 dex I have 3 second vets and I can solo almost anything in the game. I have soloed ancient wyrms, shadow wyrms, and ancient liches are a joke. This template really lets you play as a warrior and no be so nerfed by higher end mobs.

I have a few razor macros to mount dismount my mare so I can quickly mount and recall out or if I need to. I also have a vet macro that I can start and stop so I can vet as quickly as possible. some of the high end mobs can get a little rough trying to vet without it.
    Vandalin and El Horno like this.
  5. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

I can confirm this is an amazingly fun build.
    Ruck likes this.
  6. Edward Skye

Edward Skye Member

I had meant to escape with my pets...but perhaps a good question to ask is how bad is the PKing here and how long to retame and retrain a lost pet?
  7. Edward Skye

Edward Skye Member

Thanks for this suggestion. So I guess you greater heal yourself as needed? Is it doable to play thus build with more than just a nightmare as a pet, ex. a dragon too, or is that the big risk of not being able to get them out of there if a PK comes?
  8. Ahirman

I use magery for recalling and healing myself. I think you can gate with a scroll with 70. You could use a 2 dragons and a mare but if you're going to do that you might as well just do a full tamer with disco or provo. I only use a mare with mine. Also you only get one bonding slot and you can use that for your mare. If you want more you'll have to do the taming quest to obtain more.
  9. Edward Skye

Edward Skye Member

Ok, thanks! This sounds like a way I would like to go, particularly since you said you can pretty much solo anything. This won't be my only character, so as you say I can always make a pure tamer later if I want to play with multiple dragons.
    Ahirman likes this.
  10. Edward Skye

Edward Skye Member

Thanks!
  11. Ahirman

12. Edward Skye

Edward Skye Member

Cretoma and Ahirman like this.
  13. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Saddest (and true) thing I've ever read on these forums.
    Ahirman likes this.
  14. Edward Skye

Edward Skye Member

@Ahirman and @El Horno

What kind of armor do you guys where with this build? Given that you are fighting and maybe getting hit, do you where plate or due to the med penalty do you stick with barbed leather? And on the med front, is the downtime without the 40 Med too cumbersome to just go full GM on Tactics and Magery? Thanks!
    Fabio likes this.
  15. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

I guess barbed leather, more than because of med, because of the DEX penalty. You will see very few people clad in platemail as the DEX penalty is big here.
  16. Ahirman

I wear barbed leather. I don't get hit much.

I hadn't tried it with 0 med but I don't have to cast much.
    Edward Skye likes this.