HUGE Writing Contest - Millions of gold, Hundreds of Platinum, a FORTRESS, and TONS More!

Discussion in 'Player Run Events' started by Alex Caember, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Alex Caember

Alex Caember Well-Known Member

March 19th, 11:59pm EST is the deadline (check out the Submitting section above :) )

A general note - a ton more prizes are going to be added to the existing prize pools, and an additional category will be added soon, complete with its own prize pool.
    PaperSquirrels likes this.
  2. PaperSquirrels

PaperSquirrels Well-Known Member

Woops. I overlooked that. :oops: Thank you for the clarification
  3. Alex Caember

Well, you don't need to make 18 books for the fortress. The minimum amount to have a chance at it is 3 books. Just if someone were to produce 18 books over the course of the month+ that this contest runs, they would have the highest *chance* at winning. They would have 18 chances to win, out of however many total entries counted that exceed 3 from each individual person. So say there were 11people, everyone submitted 3 books except one guy who submitted 18. That is a total of 48. The guy who submitted 18 books would have 18/48 chance to win the fortress, everyone else would have a 3/48 chance :)
  4. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

Ya I got that, but the one being able to write a book for all those 18 categories (i.e. having the knowledge of all the various styles from past gaming) would have quite a big advantage after all. Btw, could I submit a book for every category and just write "abc" in each one? Then I could submit for every category easily. :p Is there a "must show having put in a serious effort" rule? Otherwise you might wanna write that in the OP!
  5. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

That's covered pretty clearly in multiple places, including, but not limited to, the following entries:
  6. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

Oh true! Didn't think of that. How about a really badly written submission then?

"Treasure hunting is about hunting treasure. Hunting treasure is done by treasure hunting maps. Treasure hunting maps, now...."
  7. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

Books may lose points, be disqualified or not considered based on the following criteria:
    • Inappropriate subject matter
    • Straying too far from the category/topic
    • Being too narrow in scope as to not adequately cover the subject
  8. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

Thank you Kirby! I admit defeat!
  9. Alex Caember

Thank you Kirby, you beat me to it :)

Yes, what Kirby pointed out is how to defeat troll submissions. Though, to be honest, I never had anyone do a troll submission before. Most people are pretty happy to do a little bit of writing :)
  10. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

@Alex Caember Just a clarification of the rules: Do entries have to be posted on the forums AND submitted to you, or just sent to you for now?
  11. Alex Caember

Only sent to me via PM :)
  12. Alex Caember

Alright, just made a BIG update to the main post:

Clarification of some rules
    Added new top prizes (see the bottom of the prize section), which include specially hued trophies, writing desks, and books
    Added a TON of extra prizes to a number of categories, so please review the prize pools for the categories again.
    Some changes made to a number of categories to make them more flexible in terms of what to write about.

Thank you to Gideon for his donation of 800k, it was dispersed through a number of categories to beef up their prize pools.
    Vandalin, Cero and Gideon Jura like this.
  13. Cero

Cero Well-Known Member

Once again this is awesome! Guess I should fill my outpost with quests this week!!
  14. Alex Caember

Thanks to the Cult of Kek, an additional 1,000,000 gold coins has been distributed through the prize pools! Praise Kek!
    Azoth and Hiji Zuru like this.
  15. Hiji Zuru

Hiji Zuru Well-Known Member

Its like impossible for me not to include some kek images in my stories.....I hope thats ok. VERY EXCITED. I just finished my first story.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  16. Alex Caember

Heya Hiji! So, since these are going to be transcribed into in-game books for the library, pictures won't really make it over unless you pull a Dun Scaith and make ASCII pictures :)

That being said, I won't stop anyone from attaching images to their stories, but images will not be counted towards the overall score of the writing. The writing needs to stand on its own, it is a writing contest after all :)
  17. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

I am working on something, but it is 1,000 words already and am just getting started. Is there a limit?
  18. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Will keep an eye out for books now. Watch yourself!

I love this idea and I will be trying to write some for sure!!
  19. Alex Caember

No limit really, no. Make it as short or long as you need to cover your topic or tell your story. The word count mentioned in the rules is a very loose guideline (which is about 1 to 4 college essay-length pages), but by all means, go beyond it if you need to.

You know, my librarian character originally was going to have snooping and stealing specifically for this... but then I thought much better of it. Taking someone's books (especially if they are unfinished) struck me as too personal, not to mention books have almost no market value unless it is something like Dun Scaith's Qamra Sutra... Someone stole books from me which sucked, but they gave them back a couple days later because they felt bad about it. I would feel too guilty taking something that is potentially rather personal (as all writing is on some level, even if meant for public reading) from someone. I would feel less guilty if it was gold, or platinum, or whatever else :)
    Random likes this.
  20. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

Stealing personally valued goods and selling them back is perfect though!
    Random likes this.