HUGE Writing Contest - Millions of gold, Hundreds of Platinum, a FORTRESS, and TONS More!

Discussion in 'Player Run Events' started by Alex Caember, Feb 5, 2017.

1. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

This contest occupied my thoughts for the entire month! I began looking forward to lulls at work just so I could brainstorm different angles to approach the guides from. It was a ton of fun and pushed me far outside of my box in terms of what I normally write (Heck, I don't normally write!). Thank you Alex for such a great contest, this has been one of my favorite months of UO that I have ever had and comically I spent much more time on the internet learning about Ultima lore and writing then actually playing. Just shows what a great expansive sandbox this game is when you start finding Sosarian sand in Microsoft word.
    I cannot wait to read all these entries, and am curious when and where that will be possible?
    Do you have any plans of doing a forum release or just in game? There are a few entries I submitted that I would be interested in posting from my RPers forum account.
    Also I would be interested in feedback on my entries (No rush).
    Jupiter, Jaana, Gideon Jura and 3 others like this.
  2. Alex Caember

Alex Caember Well-Known Member

I did forget - if anyone wants to put their submissions up on the forums somewhere (be it in the guides section or Salty Dog Tavern or wherever else appropriate), then go for it, now that the contest has concluded. I don't plan on putting any of them up on the forums myself, though.

All of these will be transferred to in-game books. I can't say much about where they will be located just yet, but hopefully sooner rather than later they will be readable by all in game, along with all the other books I have in my library, which, counting these, is around 600 unique books now, with another couple hundred waiting to be transcribed.

It always surprises me (though it really shouldn't) that not very many people know much of the history or lore behind Ultima. This is a game franchise that dates back pretty much to the late 70's/early 80's with ... 17 (I think?) single-player games, supplemental novels, and so forth, each contributing a great deal of history to the world we now inhabit (and those who know the lore well can see its influence all over Ultima Online). Writing and reading has always been the biggest aspect of the Ultima games to the point where most of the single player games came with companion books ranging from 40 to 100+ pages, and often you would need to consult these tomes for clues and hints to progress in the game. Writing and reading, I dare say, have been the most important "game mechanic" of all Ultima games (not killing monsters) and is what really sets them apart from just about all other RPGs which make due with giving you a glowing arrow to point at your cut-and-paste quest objective.

Learning even just a bit of history and lore that make up the backbone of the Ultima world can greatly enhance your experience playing this game, and that is what kept me going for about 10+ years on OSI servers, and it is what ultimately brought me to here. For example, Yew is not just some town that the UO devs decided to plop down in the woods. Yew is perhaps the oldest town in Ultima Online dating all the way back to Ultima 1 in 1980. You can even find some of the same features that have popped up in Yew over the decades of Ultima games, such as the court of justice and empath abbey, the winery (which should have monks in it), etc; each of these places have a long history, much of which is connected with the Avatar/The Stranger.

The big library I am building up will provide a great deal of this history and lore (along with many other subjects) to everyone who wishes to seek it.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Jupiter, Jaana, TrojanCow and 5 others like this.
  3. Antos

Antos Well-Known Member

*clutches his valorite trophy to his chest proudly and places a notecard on the podium*

First of all, I would like to thank everyone who took part in the contest, not just those who won prizes. Simply by participating, all of you did so much to enrich the Renaissance culture.

Obviously, I wish to thank to @Alex Caember for sponsoring the contest and also everyone who added to the prize pool, as well.

And I would like to congratulate @Jakob and @Azoth for the stiff competition! I look forward to reading your works soon! Franz finally got a trophy for his poetry!

*dabs a tear from the corner of his eye* I am sorry, I said I wasn't going to do this! *sniffs* It's just... three submissions and three first place wins! I mean, I am truly *sniffs* truly honored!

Oh! Oh! I would also like to thank my mother and father... if I could remember them, that is! And the Gargoyles, too! I couldn't have done it without them! And the Faction members! And the Yews! Oh, and "Mr. Nose"! How could I forget him? Thank you! Thank you all!

*dabs at another tear and flashes a trembling smile*

You like me! You really like me!
    Jupiter, Jaana, Jakob and 4 others like this.
  4. Vandalin

Vandalin Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I didn't take part, but what a great contest. Looking forward to reading all the entries. Congrats @Cero and everyone else.
    Jupiter and Gideon Jura like this.
  5. Alex Caember

@Antos - You know he doesn't like being called Mr. Nose...
  6. Antos

Antos Well-Known Member

I am just glad someone caught that reference! :D

Perhaps you could open an "official" thread in The Salty Dog where we could share them?
    Jupiter, Jaana and Gideon Jura like this.
  7. Eskull

Eskull Member

Don't want to undermine @Alex Caember 's intent of bringing the whole crowd to his library (hehe), but whoever will put their submission on the forums - please leave a link in this thread or, as @Antos suggested - thread in Salty Dog forum.

Here's mine: «First descent»
    Jaana and Antos like this.
  8. Cero

Cero Well-Known Member

Salty Dog is going to blow up! I'll post my adventure tale with some added pictures when I get a chance, the rest will have to be sought out in game!!
  9. Alex Caember

10. sackcrete

sackcrete New Member

Good luck and congratulations to all of the winners!
  11. The Watch

The Watch Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

To quote the great Alex Caember: "Man, you're a heck of a good writer, but you're a real pain to give a prize to."

I hate to admit it, but it's true. That being said, thanks to the diligence and patience of our gracious host, I was able to get my prize for 2nd place in the Character History category.

Thanks again to Alex for an amazing event!! And a big round of applause for the many entrants and entries in the contest!! I will definitely be putting my story up on the forums under the Salty Dog for anyone interested in taking a look and encourage others to do the same. More to come as well.
    Jupiter likes this.