If Trammel is the destination, just how far along the path are we?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Plankton, Sep 14, 2015.

Within UO:R, how far along are we to the full-blown, neon blinding Candyland that is Trammel?

Poll closed Oct 10, 2015.
  1. 10%

32 vote(s)
    37.6%
  2. 20%

8 vote(s)
    9.4%
  3. 30%

10 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. 40%

7 vote(s)
    8.2%
  5. 50%

9 vote(s)
    10.6%
  6. 60%

6 vote(s)
    7.1%
  7. 70%

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  8. 80%

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  9. 90%

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  10. 100%

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

The basic would be a simple layer of blocking items which would be the minimal amount. A larger situation would be someone with blocking items such as boxes with 2 layers of cloth on top to achieve a water or grass look. This would take approximately 2-3x as many items. And in some cases under all that we find 100 keys from the last attempt at boxing the courtyard that was destroyed by a rouge animal and never cleaned up.
    Pork Fried Rice likes this.
  2. boothby

boothby Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I would counter with-

1- only if they are able to gain access to the cy or marked a rune before the house is placed, otherwise the cy is totally unreachable to anyone but the owner

2- rare in a lot of cases and can be stopped by blocking tiles

3- no argument there

4- items could be locked down in the past, and there is currently no item decay in cy's (just like the rest of the house)
  3. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

Here's my rebuttal! The fact that you aren't grey to the home owner and that NO house commands (trash barrel, eject, ban, lock down, secure) work while standing in the courtyard (even when wanting to select an item/mobile in the home) should be enough to prove a home's courtyard belongs to no one specifically.

Thanks for the details.
    boothby likes this.
  4. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Agree that the L7 maps and things like the Christmas scrolls get people out into the world for 2x to 5x as much time as they actually spend in the instanced event. Sorry you guys only had 50 hours in December to try to steal from me and kill me while I farmed, but were denied the opportunity for the 5 hours I was in Trammel! So I think the complaints about those things are overblown. Not to mention, the instances are among the most interesting and unique things to do on this shard. When I think about my top 5 favorite UO memories over the last 15 years, the Christmas instances are one of them.

There's room for what, 50 castles on this shard? So another 100+ people get courtyard access to their home via the Large Keep. Those keeps, along with the AMIBs, are advertised on the homepage of the UOR website. How is this stuff a surprise to anyone? Unless your join date was in 2012, you made the conscious decision to join this shard knowing that these things existed. So it's not like there wasn't precedent for these types of things being here.

Anyways, we have a weaker stat loss here, and of course 3 accounts allowing for insta-gating and macroing 3x the murder counts. And a warped economy where dexers are forced to carry items worth up to 1M+ to farm as effectively as they can, allowing people to steal or kill for them. So I'm voting 10%. But I'll change it to 20% if I keep seeing these whine threads week after week.
    Avery, Jupiter, Timbo Slice and 6 others like this.
  5. newme

newme Well-Known Member

This server is a long way from being Trammel. I was playing OSI when Trammel came into existance. I am very familiar with both Felucca and Trammel.
    Here, other players can invade your home if you do not take precautions to prevent this. Trammel, a player not friend ed to your home could not even stand on your door steps.
    As Chris said, the staff is doing a balancing act. They need to figure out ways to reduce item count, while keeping the server interesting.
    Anyone remember lining all the outside walls and blocking windows with bookcases, so other players couldn't cast spells or target you inside? Without the staff doing what they've done for house security, Wow, how much higher the item count would be if we all were using bookcase.
    I truly don't understand the complaints concerning items. Neon colors??? How can these be considered Trammel?? When neon first was introduced in OSI, like any new thing, players want the new item. Thus, even the most red of red pkers were sporting their cool new neon.
    So Neon is really not Trammel, just individual like or dislike of them. So please stop using Neon as a trammel comparison, it's just silly and inaccurate. (otherwise, travel back in time and make sure all the pkers and thieves did not wear Neon) Why not just stop complaining about items. Those are really individual likes or dislikes.

Blessed articles of clothing. Sooo. you have to get a CBD, back in day, you had to buy insurance. Both cost gold.

The staff has worked incredibly hard to have things for every play style to do. By introducing new things, it keeps players interested and gives us even more things to do.

My two cents worth.

Marjo Governess of Wispfelt

Westra on IRC
    Avery, Kishember, MikeK and 1 other person like this.
  6. Pork Fried Rice

Going back on AMIBs because I don't remember Christmas... AMIBs might take a long time to farm up, but the cost to purchase is an hour of farming. Hardly a big investment for an established player. I understand your angle, but it's also not 100% accurate to the way things work on a shard where gold is as easily obtained as it is here.

I joined in 2013 and did not know about all the instances and safe trade land known as Event center. This is not advertised as well as "History Perfected" - maybe if I spent 45 minutes browsing the site before playing here, I would have learned more about all the custom stuff that pulls people from the real World.

It's amazing how dead the server becomes during CTF. Those games make an impact to the real game which takes place in the real Britannia. Instances basically do the same thing. They pull people from the public game map and put them in a private make believe land.

I appreciate what Chris does, it can't be an easy job, but these are valid points for discussion.
    BlackEye, AnRobot- and Mindless like this.
  7. Vishakt

Vishakt Well-Known Member

Har. Actually reading this thread again I realized I'm not actually qualified to vote on this.

I remember that I only went to Trammel a couple of times using those goofy moonstones. I hated it although it was nice to see tree leaves again. I had gone to Seige when it came up and I don't believe Trammel was ever there. Then I quit when the "special" moves came out. So I'll change my vote to No FN Clue.
    Jupiter likes this.
  8. boothby

boothby Well-Known Member

I HATED this...running around and rubber banding off people's front steps was infuriating.
    newme likes this.
  9. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

"You see, I think trammel features have done some good things for us. I really do and if you don't believe trammel features have done good things for us, do me a favor. Go home tonight, take all your razor macros, all your rare hued items, all your clothing bless deeds and burn them.
    'Cause you know what, the developers that made all those great futures that's enhanced your game play throughout the years....
    rrrrrreal f*cking dedicated to your overall experience."

[​IMG]
    MikeK and newme like this.
  10. Melochabre

Melochabre Well-Known Member

Somene still has to be out and about farming them on the high seas.
    newme likes this.
  11. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

If you're concerned with the character time in Felucca vs. Trammel, I think the right comparison is perhaps 4 player-hours in Felucca (1 hour x 3 characters fishing, 1 hour x 1 character farming gold to buy the AMIB) versus 1 hour in the AMIB instance.

Of course, there's also a very limited number of AMIBs out there, so this is all kind of a drop in the bucket in the scheme of things.

I have to believe the perma-gates to the event center aren't actually permanent, at least until/unless I see some kind of official announcement about that.

I share the concerns with things like CTF emptying the world. Maybe for different reasons (I think these events create a group of "players" that never really interact with normal in-world players and have very low investment in the community and shard). But I don't think it's anything like the instances, which all require a significant amount of in-game, in-world time to find and earn, and benefit from significant interaction with the community - buying/selling them and the items they generate, farming them up, trading treasure maps and such. Again, if you actually count up the total percentage of time that players spend in AMIB/Halloween/Christmas instances versus in the traditional Felucca game world, I'd bet it's less than 1% on average across all players.
    Pork Fried Rice and newme like this.
  12. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Try 80+, you can count them on the map.

wylwrk: Halfway there!
    [​IMG]
    wylwrk and Isabel like this.
  13. Pork Fried Rice

14. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

i know that english is not your first language, but all the same, well said Ker

Pyrrhus: Lex nulla capto parcit aut poenam impedit. (No law demands mercy to prisoners.)
    Agamemnon: Quod non vetat lex, hoc vetat fieri pudor. (Though the law forbids it not, yet decency forbids it.)
    Pyrrhus: Quodcumque libuit facere vctori licet. (The victor is at liberty to do whatever he likes.)
    Agamemnon: Minimum decet libere cui multum licet. (To whom much is allowed, it is least suitable to act wantonly.)
    -Seneca the younger, Troades
    Avery, Jupiter, One and 2 others like this.
  15. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

You noticed! Locked it down there just for you, buddy!
  16. AnRobot-

AnRobot- Active Member

Is this the crystals?

[​IMG]

If not, what do they look like?

Oh and I love this server.
    Basoosh likes this.
  17. The Musician

The Musician Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Nice sandals broskee!
  18. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was obvious. Thanks for helping make the decision easier.

Musician, you missed the 3rd anniv teals in that red ring ;)

1st anniv blues, 2nd anniv oj, 3rd anniv teal, the 273 leps and the 108 Christmas. Also worth noting, but not for sale ever: 2212 Vendor Sandals (1:1) and Spined Leather sandals crafted by Goslyn (DarkWing's crafter) also 1:1.

Only one two of the purple masks are unnamed. lol
    Also, I swapped one of those llamas for two runebooks for the hell of it recently.
    The Musician likes this.
  19. napo

napo Well-Known Member

My only complaint is that there are too many instances, some of which are literally in trammel.

What was trammel all about? Restricting player interaction.
    What do instances accomplish? They limit player interaction. I don't like instanced pve areas, and I don't like instanced pvp. Almost all new content lately has been instanced.
    I mean all hail the staff and I'm not complaining and all that, but if you want to be real about the question of whether the server is becoming more trammel or not, the answer is obviously yes and it's due to the server becoming increasingly instanced.

It's a telling sign of the times that the biggest issue people have when asked the question "is the server too trammel" is to have a spirited debate over how the new neon crystals are too neon.
    One, AnRobot- and Isabel like this.
  20. Erlkonig

Erlkonig Well-Known Member

cries about trammel...

...glorifies personal collection of trammel
    Nymeros likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.