Improving Razor - Razor Development

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Quick, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Quick

Quick Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Interesting, the issue is probably due to it being "Segoe UI" font -- not sure if that is available on Mac. You can edit the language file and shorten some of the names of checkboxes. If I had a Mac, I'd do some testing but I don't.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  2. Quick

Quick Well-Known Member

Hey UO:R Community,

First off, I just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions, ideas, feedback and time helping me test Razor. It's been really fun being able to provide these improvements to Razor for everyone to use.

A quick trip down Razor history lane from what I understand:

The “official” version of Razor for UO:R is 1.0.13.4. This version was released in 2011 and is has been tested by all of you for years. In September 2013, the source was released online. The person who released it put out some additional versions up to 1.0.3.10.

Around the time of the source release, a close source version was created (1.0.14.x) which is what many of you run today and is on https://www.uorazor.com/. This version was last updated in 2017. I believe the admins of UO Evolution support this version and if this Reddit post is accurate they took over the domains of Razor and UOSteam (which, as you may not know, is also a closed source modified version of Razor).

So this leads me to now. The version I’ve been basing my changes off of then is 1.4.0.3 (which is just 1.0.13.10 with .NET 4.0). I’ve remained transparent in all my changes from posting images and comments here and more importantly, making the source code available on GitHub for folks to see.

But as I’ve watched 2 shards already take the code, remove all credit and rebrand it as their own (the nature of open source software), I realized that all the work @JimmyTheHand has been doing to the mapping system within Razor (essentially writing a new mapping system from the ground up) would also be stolen and rebranded when it's released. While we want everyone in the UO community, even outside of UOR, to benefit from these changes, we rightly just don't want our work rebranded for other freeshards to profit off of.

Talking to @Chris , he suggested that I move the code to a private repo to protect our work. So with his blessing, as of a few hours ago, I did just that. I’ve moved the project off GitHub and moved it to a private repo. Per our conversation, he will have access to the repo to review all the code and changes at all times.

You can find the new page, with release notes and a link to download it here. It will remain version 1.5.0.X until we feel confident that it's running smooth (so still consider it beta), then it will be become 1.5.1.X

https://bitbucket.org/markdwags/razor/wiki/Home

Any questions, hit me up here or on IRC (or on Discord if you want). Thanks again everyone.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    Ahirman likes this.
  3. Ahirman

Ahirman Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

That really sucks people were stealing your work. :mad:

Thanks for working on this, I love all the new changes. Makes using razor so much easier!

Anxiously awaiting the next update!
  4. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  5. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

What was the license for the version you forked from?
  6. Quick

Quick Well-Known Member

That is a good question. Before I started any of this, I tried to contact the person who put it on GitHub to clarify but had no luck. When it was originally released, you couldn't build a functioning version. At some point, they released the code that allows you build a fully functional version. The only license reference is license.txt which I believe, based how it's worded, to be distributed with the binaries only and wasn't written with the idea of the code being release (you can find it in your Razor folder)

Section 10 says you can't reverse engineer and decompile, but since the code is available that isn't needed. Section 9 says you can only use it if you've purchased UO.

This version will always maintain the credits to the original Razor author, will never be turned into a profit nor be designed to solely work on a single shard.

Also, knowing that other Razor based applications are out there (ie: UOSteam), including over 50+ forks and numerous copied projects, it doesn't appear the author is requesting takedowns. I guess if requested, I'd comply.

What do you think?
  7. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

Well, in the absence of a license there is no applied allowed commercial or private use. So unless you and the others (uosteam devs etc) got permission, they certainly can request a takedown. I doubt they would take any legal action (although they could). I would suggest you try to contact them somehow just in case, even though it's almost assuredly so that they would allow it.

At the very least, make sure you have the repo on your local machine in case github removes it unexpectedly (which of course you do if you're working on it)
    Quick likes this.
  8. dorvinion

dorvinion New Member

Ok, so a tiny, super easy QoL feature request please.

A Hotkey for "Set Sell Agent Hotbag"

Thank you!
  9. Dr Satan

Dr Satan Well-Known Member

would it be possible or any objections to a command to set item delay for that profile?

something like:

-itemdelay 750

-itemdelay 0

to change how many ms delay without opening the gui and clicking through tabs and typing it in each time? not sure if this would be seen as an unfair advantage or not but i get tired of going through menus :D
  10. Quick

Quick Well-Known Member

I thought about this feature as well, but like you said, does it give some advantage? People making PvP macros now that are changing Razor settings on the fly. What do others think?
  11. Dr Satan

Dr Satan Well-Known Member

I was thinking more along the lines of curious eyes snooping around, but maybe it has pvp uses too I can't think of and that makes it even more controversial.

My idea was to set it super high to have a look around if needed or super low to send off fire works and then normal to well play normal.

Wasnt aware of its use in pvp as well
  12. Quick

Quick Well-Known Member

I was just playing devil's advocate, I don't pvp so it may or may not matter. It would be interesting to get a list of Razor options people turn on and off and discuss which ones may be ok to have turn on/off via command line.
  13. Quick

Quick Well-Known Member

Sure.

upload_2018-7-21_14-1-1.png
    snap dragon and Rad like this.
  14. Quick

Quick Well-Known Member

I've been asking a few people, so I thought I'd ask the larger group to get a feel for the impact. This is specific to MIBs. @Cynic wrote this great guide on how to turn your MIBs into a UOAM file using some manual entry and a spreadsheet (so his input would be valuable). While it still takes time, this process makes hunting MIBs a bit easier.

I've discovered a way for Razor to, upon the opening of an MIB, to capture the coords and write them to a file (in this case, it can be a file formatted automatically for UOAM and longer term, it will auto-mark the built in Razor map).

upload_2018-7-23_8-0-19.png

So the process of opening each one, entering it into a spreadsheet, then generating a file based on that spreadsheet simply turns into an exercise of opening each one of your MIBs.

My question for you guys here, especially those who enjoy doing MIBs, does this hurt those who have put in the hard work to manually translate these MIBs over the years or would you think this would be a welcome change from all?
    dorvinion and Ahirman like this.
  15. Ahirman

Ahirman Well-Known Member

^ love that idea!

Could you add next grey/grey monster?
  16. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Very nice addition!
    Ahirman likes this.
  17. dorvinion

dorvinion New Member

Personally, I find this step of the MIB process to be the least enjoyable.

I've used Cynic's spreadsheet to make UOAM files for MIB's and its a huge help, yet I always transpose or fat finger something.
  18. Labeler

Labeler Well-Known Member

darned, i just sold over 3K mibs :D

great idea and uber value.. this surely makes fishing an even more profitable income.. semi afk fishing and then easier mib pulling.
    Ahirman likes this.
  19. JohnM

JohnM Well-Known Member

Would you do the mibs if this part was easier? Just curious - it may add value to fishing and get mibs back to where they used to be a couple years ago.
  20. Quick

Quick Well-Known Member

That's what I'm looking for feedback on -- will the impact of no longer having to manually enter MIBs into a spreadsheet help or hurt the overall economy around MIBs. I'd be curious to know his answer to your question. If all of a sudden folks who would sell 3k of them end up keeping them, well.. value goes up a bit?