Introducing the new UOR Bot

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Chris, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Starting today players will notice that they are no longer just joined to the #UOR channel when using our web IRC client.

Players will now be joined to the following channels
    • #UOR - General Discussion
    • #UORTrade - Trade Chat
    • #UORPvp - Unmoderated Discussion
    • #UORNew - New Player Assistance, Q&A

If you don't like the web based client, or if the beeping drives you mad make sure to check our our guide on setting up your own MIRC client. Mirc or any other IRC client will always provide a better experience in the channel.
    http://uorforum.com/threads/renaissance-irc-connection-guide.496/

[​IMG]

To disable the beeping click on the small options icon in the bottom right as shown below.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

We also have a new resource that will be in place in the #UORNew and #UOR channels. The UOR Channel Bot.

The new channel bot will provide the following information when certain keywords are used. This can be an extremely useful resource to teach new and old players alive about our combine search utility on the website. Rather than searching hundreds of wiki pages, player lists, guild lists or items lists. Players can simple type !search dragon, or !search Blaise, or !search Razor to get a quick link to helpful information.

!status
    Will provide current information about the server such as players online, items and uptime.
    This command will be updated to provide additional information such as IP's down the road.

UOR Server Status: RunUO 2.2 Online:600 Items:1,635,177 Uptime:9d 7h

!<keyword>
    Will cause the UOR bot to search its keyword database for an article matching the selected term
    Note: This only searches single terms. Bonding not Pet Bonding
    Example Keywords: AFK, Platinum, BOD, Factions, Troubleshooting, FAQ, Houses, Map, PVM, Download, Test, Slayer

!find <keyword>
    Works similar to searching for single keywords
    Note: This only searches single terms. Bonding not Pet Bonding
    Example Keywords: AFK, Platinum, BOD, Factions, Troubleshooting, FAQ, Houses, Map, PVM, Download, Test, Slayer

<~Telamon> !find bonding
    <UOR> Pet Bonding > http://uorforum.com/threads/renaissance-blog-pet-bonding-in-felucca.687/

!search <keyword>
    Will cause the UOR Bot to generate a search link for your selected term.
    Note: The best results will be returned when using a single search keyword.
    Example search terms can be Compendium Articles, Player Names, Guild Abbreviations, Guild Names, or Item Types

<~Telamon> !search bonding
    <UOR> Search Link > http://www.uorenaissance.com/info/?page=g_search&s=bonding

<~Telamon> !search blaise
    <&UOR> Search Link > http://www.uorenaissance.com/info/?page=g_search&s=blaise

!help, !help find, !help search
    Will send you a private message with various information on how to utilize the bot.

<UOR> UO:Renaissance IRC Bot Services
    <UOR> !<keyword> | !search <keyword> | !help search | !find <keyword> | !help find
    <UOR> Common Keywords: AFK, Platinum, BOD, Factions, Troubleshooting, FAQ, Houses, Map, PVM, Download, Test, Slayer
    <UOR> Common Searches: Monster Name, Guild Abbrv, Player Name, Item Name, House Name, Location Name
    <UOR> for a complete guide to the UOR Bot > http://uorforum.com/threads/introducing-the-new-uor-bot-and-uornew-channel.4168/

!join <ChannelName> <Password> or !join <ChannelName>
    This will cause the UOR Bot to join your guild channel allow you to use its services there.

!8ball
    Will shake a magic 8 ball and display the answer.
    It is certain
    It is decidedly so
    Without a doubt
    Yes definitely
    You may rely on it
    As I see it, yes
    Most likely
    Outlook good
    Yes
    Signs point to yes
    Reply hazy try again
    Ask again later
    Better not tell you now
    Cannot predict now
    Concentrate and ask again
    Don't count on it
    My reply is no
    My sources say no
    Outlook not so good
    Very doubtful

* UOR is shaking up the 8ball for your question
    <UOR> The answer is: You may rely on it.

!dance
    Will cause the UOR bot to do a random dance emote

* &UOR does the harlem shake
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
    Samorite, Wise and Basoosh like this.
  2. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Very nice!
  3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

RIP Spud bot, you will be missed.
  4. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Yes he will, we need to find a way to properly memorialize Spud.
  5. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

Potato canonize him?

"Thus sayeth Spud, tis better to have been blasted from a potato cannon and splattered, than to have never blasted at all"
    Wise and Huzke like this.
  6. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

*slaps Telamon with a large sausage*

good job !
  7. Godric Greycliff

Godric Greycliff Well-Known Member

What, exactly, is the purpose of the #UORNew channel? Is it for new players or just new in general (because new is, of course, better)?
  8. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Players when using the web based chat will be automatically placed in that channel by default, allowing new players to get assistance easily without trying to wade through the activity in the main channel. This also makes it much easier for the staff, volunteer and other players to answer questions. Once a player sets up their IRC software they would be less likely to use the channel.

This also will allow us to keep #UORNew on topic and allow a wider range of discussions in #UOR.
  9. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

I can foresee much being told to take myself and some newb to UORNew. lol I hope people understand because noobs gunna noob and not join the proper channel. I guess I'll have to add a If statement to my new player greeting.
  10. corruption

corruption Well-Known Member

I have gotten the impression that the goal is more to be able to loosen some of the restrictions in #UOR on non-topical conversation, while still allowing such questions. I doubt anyone will be redirecting legitimate questions rather than answering them -- this is more simply to provide a one-stop-shop for newbie questions thats always available.
    Vlar likes this.
  11. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

An in-game memorial perhaps :cool: